Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

Old March 14th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

Default Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

On Mar 13, 11:39 am, MagillaGorilla wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Someobody's signature is on the race permit, jackass. Who was
responsible for getting the liability insurance? There has to be a
person who did this. That person is the promoter by definition.

So you're suggesting what exactly? That the promoter should indemnify
all race participants, and their guests, at any location and time?
How does a race promoter's liability insurance cover what happens in a
restaurant parking lot? I thought you were supposed to be some hot
shot racer. How can you be so clueless about the logistics?

Pardon me while I proceed to ignore you until you have something
sensible to say.

The promoter should have warned everyone never to leave their bikes or
valuables in their cars unattended anywhere near the city because it
would likely be stolen.

Philly and its close vicinity has a notorious property theft reputation
that should have been conveyed to unwitting race participants.

If Philly is notorious, why does anyone need a warning?

Old March 14th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

RicodJour wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

[...]

Notorious for people who live there and know the area.

Magilla
Old March 14th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

RicodJour wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

John Neil wrote:

Look who's the organ donor now? Read the first sentence. "At dinner." It
didn't happen at the race. The promoter isn't responsible in the least.
The only thing the promoters are at fault for is putting on a HUGE race that
went off without a hitch. It did not happen at the race.

Are you kidding me? The OP was just trying to express some compassion
because he heard something bad happened to someone. I didn't say I was
astonished - and it was my own car. Did either the OP or I act as if we
were surprised?

Dear College,

First of all, answer this question you smart-aleck college student: Were
you or were you not aware that theft and car break-ins in Philadelaphia
and the vicinity were astronomically greater than in 95% of the rest of
the country? If the answer is no, then the warning would have gone a
long way to preventing this theft.

Your logic is faulty. Most people don't look to a race organizer for
their off-site security. I also don't expect the promoter to provide
a full Wiki workup of a city, including restaurant ptomaine and
salmonella statistics. I don't expect them to point out spotty cell
phone coverage with admonitions to avoid breaking down in those areas,
mortality rates at local hospitals or anything other than to put on a
smoothly run race. They did. Well, except for the toilets.

Then why do the promoters of Commerce Bank Philly provide security and
deal with those issues? Answer: because it's not a cool thing when
$4,000 bikes and $2,000 laptops get ripped off because people from out
of town don't know the area has a high rate of car break-iins and theft.

At least put a warning on the flyer. Your comments about the
restaurents and hospital mortality rates is not on point.

Magilla
Old March 14th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Notorious for people who live there and know the area.

Dumbass,

Anyone that reads rbr knows all about people that live in Philly.

Thanks,

Bob Schwartz
Old March 14th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Sorry to hear about this.
--
JT
****************************
Old March 14th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 13 Mar 2007 10:15:50 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

MagillaGorilla wrote:

Someobody's signature is on the race permit, jackass. Who was
responsible for getting the liability insurance? There has to be a
person who did this. That person is the promoter by definition.

So you're suggesting what exactly? That the promoter should indemnify
all race participants, and their guests, at any location and time?
How does a race promoter's liability insurance cover what happens in a
restaurant parking lot? I thought you were supposed to be some hot
shot racer. How can you be so clueless about the logistics?

Maybe he should sue the promoter's heirs. Sue everyone listed on the
release as being unsueable. This is the US of A, right? Heck, sue me
too for talking about it.
--
JT
****************************
Old March 14th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

MagillaGorilla wrote:
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:

If Philly is notorious, why does anyone need a warning?

Notorious for people who live there and know the area.

You have limited comprehension of commonplace words.

Old March 14th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

MagillaGorilla wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

Your logic is faulty. Most people don't look to a race organizer for
their off-site security. I also don't expect the promoter to provide
a full Wiki workup of a city, including restaurant ptomaine and
salmonella statistics. I don't expect them to point out spotty cell
phone coverage with admonitions to avoid breaking down in those areas,
mortality rates at local hospitals or anything other than to put on a
smoothly run race. They did. Well, except for the toilets.

Then why do the promoters of Commerce Bank Philly provide security and
deal with those issues? Answer: because it's not a cool thing when
$4,000 bikes and $2,000 laptops get ripped off because people from out
of town don't know the area has a high rate of car break-iins and theft.

Gee, Sparky, do you think that hiring security for parking lots and
riders just might have something to do with the fact that one is a
major (for the US) race with a lot of corporate sponsorship and a big
budget and the other is a collegiate race where there was _nothing_
for sale and no corporate presence at all?

Try to pause between thoughts so you don't strain something.

Old March 14th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Try to pause between thoughts so you don't strain something.

Can't strain what ain't there to begin with.

Old March 14th 07, 10:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Bob Schwartz wrote:
Anyone that reads rbr knows all about people that live in Philly.

And some commodities are available at very reasonable prices:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...288cc962bfede2

I ripped my new 661's! forrestunifreak Unicycling 6 April 26th 05 05:46 AM
my bike got ripped off. Scott Ehardt Social Issues 7 January 8th 05 08:08 PM
Ripped!!! Steve McGinty Racing 0 September 4th 04 09:44 AM
eBay -- where to get ripped off Mcget Marketplace 3 February 15th 04 03:00 AM
Am I being being ripped off here? Ray Vaughan UK 12 January 8th 04 01:15 AM