Removing rust from a vintage uni

Old December 22nd 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

Default Removing rust from a vintage uni

A guy at work recently gave me an old unicycle that he just had laying
around, a Loyd to be exact. Well, the thing is covered in rust, so I'm
wondering what my best options are for cleaning this thing up and
restoring it to its full glory.

--
iAmVincent

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity.
~Voltaire
Old December 22nd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
scott ttocs

Naval Jelly

http://tinyurl.com/2emkb

--
scott ttocs
Old December 22nd 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Rust is macho. Only sissies ride rust-free unicycles.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old December 22nd 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

I would probably start with a wire brush or fine sandpaper - i guess it
really depends of you want to paint it or leave it rust free and do
nothing with it...

--
mill_mobile
Old December 22nd 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I have a rusty Loyd also, but it's still in as-received condition.
Haven't tried messing with the rust but have instead let it accumulate
so far...

On the old Schwinns, the chrome is very strong so you can use harsh
methods without doing much damage. The Loyd chrome may not be quite so
indestructable. I'd recommend the naval jelly, possibly after a little
sanding to remove the big stuff. Not wire brush if you're trying to
preserve the chrome.

Follow the naval jelly with polishing; I've used chrome polish in the
past, but that's mostly to clean and protect chrome without problems. On
our Schwinns we used to just use steel wool and it was fine. Again,
check to make sure you aren't dulling the chrome.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old December 22nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

They make a spray paint/primer that magically converts RUST to a good
primer ready for more paint.

lazy man's solution!

--
Bondo

Apply Directly to a Unicycle.

'w00tni|iciou$n3s$Rof1iwins'
(http://tinyurl.com/5fcdr2)
Old December 22nd 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

Okay, so I'll probably get some naval jelly and polish in the near
future and try to restore this guy. Getting the rust off the frame and
rim seems easy enough, it's the spokes that I'm not so sure about.
After all, I don't want to weaken these 40+ year old spokes any more
than I have to.

Old December 23rd 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

+1 on the steel wool.

--
agentQ

---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)

Removing rust from a vintage uni Probailer2 Unicycling 0 December 22nd 08 06:45 PM
Removing rust? Dave R Techniques 9 June 17th 05 01:56 PM
Vintage Campy brake levers on vintage Cinelli bars? [email protected] Techniques 2 January 16th 05 06:04 PM
Rust Matthew General 1 June 10th 04 07:05 PM
spot rust removing w/o damaging surounding paint feld Techniques 7 May 23rd 04 02:57 AM