Mysterious flat tires

Old May 24th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Mysterious flat tires

3 times in the last month I have found my road bike to have a mysteriously
flat tire when I am preparing to leave for a ride. The tire was fine when
coming back from the previous rides. They may have been anywhere between 15
and 80 mile rides with no problem while riding! I have not been able to
detect a problem with either the wheel or tire and have replaced the tube
each time.

Any ideas? (No jokes please, bikes are stored in my house)

--
Thanks in advance... Bob

Old May 24th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Did you check the tubes under water?

Lewis.

*****

Old May 24th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bob Newman wrote:
3 times in the last month I have found my road bike to have a mysteriously
flat tire when I am preparing to leave for a ride. The tire was fine when
coming back from the previous rides. They may have been anywhere between 15
and 80 mile rides with no problem while riding! I have not been able to
detect a problem with either the wheel or tire and have replaced the tube
each time.

Any ideas? (No jokes please, bikes are stored in my house)

--
Thanks in advance... Bob

A glass of cabernet and an Ambien perhaps? Sleep-deflation is the
likely culprit. :P

Check the obvious, the valve stem, rim tape, valve hole roughness, etc.

My leaky front was a bad patch that leaked 5psi per day.

Old May 24th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bob Newman wrote:
3 times in the last month I have found my road bike to have a mysteriously
flat tire when I am preparing to leave for a ride. The tire was fine when
coming back from the previous rides. They may have been anywhere between 15
and 80 mile rides with no problem while riding! I have not been able to
detect a problem with either the wheel or tire and have replaced the tube
each time.

Any ideas? (No jokes please, bikes are stored in my house)

The air had to go somewhere. Did you find a puncture and the object
that caused it? I know that for some reason my driveway entrance seems
to be a magnet for bottle throwing knotheads. I have to sweep away the
broken glass at least twice a month in the summer.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old May 24th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Bob Newman" wrote: (clip) I have not been able to detect a problem with
either the wheel or tire and have replaced the tube each time. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since you are replacing the tube each time, I think we can rule out bad
patches and the like. You don't say specifically, but are there some rides
that are not followed afterwards by a flat tire? I suggest you check your
pressure at the end of the rides, to see whether the tire is losing air very
slowly, and you just aren't noticing during the rides. I would also check
every day when you are not riding, to see whether there is a low leak.

Do you still have the tubes that you replaced? I suggest you inflate them,
and check with water to see how big and where the bubbles are. That may
give you a clue.

Old May 24th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I should have mentioned that, yes I have found leaks in the tubes but
nothing in the tire at that spot. One thing that I did not do that I will
this time is to mark that spot on the tire by the hole in tube even if I
can't find anything. That way I can at least see if the next flat is from
that same area.

Bob

Old May 24th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Bob Newman" wrote in message
I should have mentioned that, yes I have found leaks in the tubes but
nothing in the tire at that spot. One thing that I did not do that I will
this time is to mark that spot on the tire by the hole in tube even if I
can't find anything. That way I can at least see if the next flat is from
that same area.

1. It's highly likely you will find that subsequent flats are in the same
area.
2. If you check that area and can't find anything on the tire (and rim strip
/ spokes), you still know in your heart that there's something there.

If the hole in the tube is toward the tire, get a new tire.

If it's toward the rim strip, I'd put an additional rim strip in (although
in my limited experience the rim side is less likely to be the problem)

Old May 24th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Bob Newman" wrote:
3 times in the last month I have found my road bike to have a mysteriously
flat tire when I am preparing to leave for a ride. The tire was fine when
coming back from the previous rides. They may have been anywhere between 15
and 80 mile rides with no problem while riding! I have not been able to
detect a problem with either the wheel or tire and have replaced the tube
each time.

Any ideas? (No jokes please, bikes are stored in my house)

--
Thanks in advance... Bob

That sounds very much like a very small piece of glass in the tyre, and they are a real bugger to find. Almost invisible, I pour a little of what is called "Tention violet" here in New Zealand, it is a purple substance that used to be put on road dashes many years ago.
If you get something that will change the colour of the glass by staining all around it and leaving it "shining" when you put a torch beam on the spot you "usually" get to see where the little sod is.
Hope this helps as i know from experience how frustrating trying to find glass in a tyre is.
Cheers
Cycler.

Old May 24th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bob Newman writes:

3 times in the last month I have found my road bike to have a
mysteriously flat tire when I am preparing to leave for a ride. The
tire was fine when coming back from the previous rides. They may
have been anywhere between 15 and 80 mile rides with no problem
while riding! I have not been able to detect a problem with either
the wheel or tire and have replaced the tube each time.

Any ideas? (No jokes please, bikes are stored in my house)

Don't be afraid of running your thumb around the entire inside of the
tire casing in the portion that rolls on the road. You won't cut your
finger but that is the best way to find thorns and Michelin wires that
cannot easily be seen when looking for the puncture source. You
probably don't have to get a new tube every time you flat and being
able to patch on the road will help if you have more than one flat.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/patching.html

Jobst Brandt
Old May 24th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
Bob Newman writes:

[...]

I learned a tough lesson last week. Hadn't ridden for two years due to
plantar fasciitis (sp?) in both feet. First ride this year, got a flat.
No problem, I carry a patch kit and a new tube. Swapped tubes, used
the new CO2 inflator, doesn't quite fill the tire to full pressure. No
other pump, didn't think I'd need both pump and CO2. Oh well, cut ride
short and ride home carefully. Get 1/2 mile, get a pinch flat. No
problem, I can patch it. Doh! How the hell am I gonna air it up?
Already used only cartridge. Walk home last 3/4 mile. Buy pump next day.

Arlie