Ooh, shiny

Old June 6th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Gravrock

Default Ooh, shiny

I can't think of a single situation where this would be better than what
I have now, or even as good, but I want one anyway:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Compa
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1982_Specialized%20_Stumpjumper055.htm
Old June 6th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Steve Gravrock wrote:
I can't think of a single situation where this would be better than what
I have now, or even as good, but I want one anyway:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Yeah, bring back a cromoly frame, no suspension, quill headset, and
standard geometry, then turn it into a collectors item so you charge
$1300 for it.
Old June 7th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 6, 2:17 pm, Steve Gravrock wrote:
I can't think of a single situation where this would be better than what
I have now, or even as good, but I want one anyway:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Compa
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1982_Specialized%20_Stumpjumper055.htm

$663 B-) http://leescyclery.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=5811

First thing I'd do is swap out the BB for square taper and the cranks
for a classic looking Sugino. The rest of the modern kit can stay.

Old June 7th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Jun 6, 8:32 pm, landotter wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:17 pm, Steve Gravrock wrote:

I can't think of a single situation where this would be better than what
I have now, or even as good, but I want one anyway:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Compa
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1982_Specialized%20_Stumpjumper055.htm

$663 B-)http://leescyclery.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=5811

I guess they were a failure in the marketplace. At ~$660, they strike
me as an okay value.

First thing I'd do is swap out the BB for square taper and the cranks
for a classic looking Sugino. The rest of the modern kit can stay.

Thumb shifters, anyone? ;-)

Old June 7th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Jun 6, 2:59 pm, SMS wrote:
Steve Gravrock wrote:
I can't think of a single situation where this would be better than what
I have now, or even as good, but I want one anyway:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Yeah, bring back a cromoly frame, no suspension, quill headset, and
standard geometry, then turn it into a collectors item so you charge
$1300 for it.

According to the WestEgg inflation calculator, $1300 in 2006 (the
latest available figures) = $608 in 1982 (using SBI's 25 years ago
idea).

Anyone recall what the original Stumpjumper sold for?

Old June 7th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Gravrock

On 2007-06-07, Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:59 pm, SMS wrote:
Steve Gravrock wrote:

[...]
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Yeah, bring back a cromoly frame, no suspension, quill headset, and
standard geometry, then turn it into a collectors item so you charge
$1300 for it.

According to the WestEgg inflation calculator, $1300 in 2006 (the
latest available figures) = $608 in 1982 (using SBI's 25 years ago
idea).

Anyone recall what the original Stumpjumper sold for?

http://oldroads.com/arch/MTB2002_9_2210_11_45_PM.html suggests that
the 1982 Stumpjumper was $850. I don't know if that was the first
year or not. I would've guessed a bit more than $1k.

The fact that the new Stumpjumper Classic is only available in one size
suggests to me that Specialized doesn't expect to sell many. Either it
started as a one-off anniversary event and they decided to do a limited
production run in that size or its purpose is to look cool, bring out
a sense of the line's history, and thus help sell modern Stumpjumpers.
Old June 7th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob in CT[_2_]

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 02:09:50 -0400, Steve Gravrock

On 2007-06-07, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:59 pm, SMS wrote:
Steve Gravrock wrote:

[...]
[...]

My friend bought a Stumpjumper and I bought a Rockhopper. I seem to
remember paying around 500 for mine and he paid around 800 for his.

--
Bob in CT
Old June 7th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On 2007-06-07, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:59 pm, SMS wrote:
Steve Gravrock wrote:

[...]
[...]

Sounds about right. I didn't have enough bucks for either, so I got a
Shogun Prairie Breaker for $400.

Old June 7th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Jun 6, 2:59 pm, SMS wrote:
Steve Gravrock wrote:
I can't think of a single situation where this would be better than what
I have now, or even as good, but I want one anyway:
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Yeah, bring back a cromoly frame, no suspension, quill headset, and
standard geometry, then turn it into a collectors item so you charge
$1300 for it.

According to the WestEgg inflation calculator, $1300 in 2006 (the
latest available figures) = $608 in 1982 (using SBI's 25 years ago
idea).

Yeah, but the sweet spot price for bicycles has been declining over the
years, partly as production moved from the U.S. and Japan to Taiwan and
then to China. How much would a comparatively specced cro-mo mountain
bicycle cost these days? I bought one two years ago (Marin Bear Valley),
and it was on sale for about $400 with an MSRP of $600, though it did
have a suspension fork. Since then the manufacturer has decontented that
model, and it's no longer available with the same specs.
Old June 7th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On 2007-06-07, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

On Jun 6, 2:59 pm, SMS wrote:
Steve Gravrock wrote:

[...]
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22271

Yeah, bring back a cromoly frame, no suspension, quill headset, and
standard geometry, then turn it into a collectors item so you charge
$1300 for it.

According to the WestEgg inflation calculator, $1300 in 2006 (the
latest available figures) = $608 in 1982 (using SBI's 25 years ago
idea).

Anyone recall what the original Stumpjumper sold for?

http://oldroads.com/arch/MTB2002_9_2210_11_45_PM.html suggests that
the 1982 Stumpjumper was $850.

So, at 1300 "2006 dollars" the new version is actually over 25%
cheaper than the original ($608 v $850) when inflation is taken into
account.

I don't know if that was the first
year or not. I would've guessed a bit more than $1k.

The fact that the new Stumpjumper Classic is only available in one size
suggests to me that Specialized doesn't expect to sell many. Either it
started as a one-off anniversary event and they decided to do a limited
production run in that size or its purpose is to look cool, bring out
a sense of the line's history, and thus help sell modern Stumpjumpers.

And, being that the street price is down in the mid-$600 range, I
guess even the limited production run didn't sell. Maybe it needed
650B wheels to appeal to the neo-retro crowd. ;-)

Raw Shiny Red Flesh Joe King Racing 2 January 20th 06 03:02 PM
Shiny Bike on COPS JD Mountain Biking 9 March 14th 05 04:24 PM
Riding With Shiny New Titanium Joints! GaryT General 22 August 6th 04 05:25 AM
Nice & Shiny Sam Salt UK 2 April 2nd 04 09:12 PM
Shiny and waiting... Carla A-G Mountain Biking 26 October 24th 03 11:10 AM