WTB: Trek 520 touring bike (21")

Old March 31st 04, 04:24 AM
Thomas Arneberg

Default WTB: Trek 520 touring bike (21")

My trusty 1982 Trek touring bicycle (I think it's a 720) finally has
to be laid to rest, with a broken frame, after countless thousands
of miles on fully-loaded bike tours. (I told the kids tonight that
it was like having to shoot your horse when it broke a leg.)

So, I am looking to buy another one, and the only touring bike
Trek makes now is the Trek 520. I don't think I want to part with
$1000 for a new one, though.

Anyone have a used Trek 520 (frame size 21") that they want to sell?

Thanks,
- Tom A.
-------------------------------------------+------------------------
;-) I'd rather be ____ Thomas R. Arneberg | http://arneberg.com
:-) singing in a |____| | __o
:-) Barbershop _| _| SGI ASIC Design | `\ Commute by bicycle!
:-) Quartet! (_) (_) Chippewa Falls, WI | ()/ ()
-------------------------------------------+------------------------
Old April 1st 04, 04:18 AM
Thomas Arneberg

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:24:49 +0000 (UTC), ldomain
(Thomas Arneberg) wrote:
My trusty 1982 Trek touring bicycle (I think it's a 720) finally has
to be laid to rest, with a broken frame, after countless thousands
of miles on fully-loaded bike tours. (I told the kids tonight that
it was like having to shoot your horse when it broke a leg.)

If you're that happy with it, and emotionally attached, why not just
have the frame repaired? If it's steel, any welding shop could
probably do an okay job, and a qualified frame builder can likely do
a nice job regardless of material.
--
Rick Onanian

Well, I was relying on the advice of the bike shop I brought it
into -- they said it couldn't be repaired, even with welding.
The old frame is Reynolds 531 -- is that steel? (Please excuse
my ignorance.) Any idea what it would cost to weld this?
The derailleur is also shot, and the rear wheel destroyed.

Plus, I am thinking that MAYBE, possibly, advancements have been
made in bicycle design and construction in the last 22 years, and
it might be worth getting a newer touring bike. (I've been too
busy with a career and raising kids to notice, but that's a hunch. ;-)

Thanks,
- Tom A.
-------------------------------------------+---------------------
;-) I'd rather be ____ Thomas R. Arneberg |
http://arneberg.com
:-) singing in a |____| | "WARNING: Dates in
:-) Barbershop _| _| SGI ASIC Design | calendar are closer
:-) Quartet! (_) (_) Chippewa Falls, WI | than they appear."
-------------------------------------------+---------------------
Old April 1st 04, 02:51 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 03:18:44 +0000 (UTC), ldomain
(Thomas Arneberg) wrote:
Rick Onanian wrote:
If you're that happy with it, and emotionally attached, why not just
have the frame repaired? If it's steel, any welding shop could

into -- they said it couldn't be repaired, even with welding.
The old frame is Reynolds 531 -- is that steel? (Please excuse

A bit of googling reveals that it is steel alloy with manganese and
molybdenum, I think. Apparently, it must be brazed or gas-welded at
a low temperature. I am speaking from almost complete ignorance on
the subject at hand, though.

my ignorance.) Any idea what it would cost to weld this?

It's worth a try if it will be cheap; all you've got to lose is a
frame.

The derailleur is also shot, and the rear wheel destroyed.

Well, that begins to make it discouraging. If you are quite attached
to the bike, it's still worth repairing.

Plus, I am thinking that MAYBE, possibly, advancements have been
made in bicycle design and construction in the last 22 years, and
it might be worth getting a newer touring bike. (I've been too
busy with a career and raising kids to notice, but that's a hunch. ;-)

I like a lot of the new tech, but some people specifically dislike
it. I suspect that more people like than dislike, but that's only a
guess.

Riders of touring bikes on other rec.bicycles groups are very happy
with the Jamis Aurora and Fuji Touring. Having a few more models to
search for might help you find what you want faster...
--
Rick Onanian
Old April 2nd 04, 04:10 AM
Luke

(Thomas Arneberg) wrote:
My trusty 1982 Trek touring bicycle (I think it's a 720) finally has
to be laid to rest, with a broken frame, after countless thousands
of miles on fully-loaded bike tours. (I told the kids tonight that
it was like having to shoot your horse when it broke a leg.)

If you're that happy with it, and emotionally attached, why not just
have the frame repaired? If it's steel, any welding shop could
probably do an okay job, and a qualified frame builder can likely do
a nice job regardless of material.
--
Rick Onanian

Thomas, if you don't go the repair route put the 720 up for auction or
sale. You may be able to get recoup some of the costs incurred for a
new model purchase.

And if you'd like another, there's a trek 520 for sale on ebay now..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...333&category=5
8093

FROM THE AUCTION PAGE :
_______________________________

2000 Trek 520 Touring Bike .

The Specs are below:

SIZE - 21" FRAME (55cm)Trek 520 Cro-Moly built for loaded touring with
added braze-ons for racks

Color - Dark Blue

FORK 520 - Cro-Moly for excellent shock absorption

WHEELS - 36-spoke triple cross lacing for strength

BRAKES - Shimano 105

BRAKE LEVERS - Shimano 105

FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano 105 REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Deore LX

SHIFTERS - Shimano Dura-Ace bar-end shifters

CASSETTE - 11-32 9-speed CHAIN - 9-speed

CRANKSET - Shimano 105

CHAINRINGS - 30-42-52

Continental Touring Tires*(with about 1000 miles on them)

*PAINT CONDITION - There are a few minor scratches, but nothing that
isnt tio be expected from normal wear.

I bought this bike used in May of 2003. I put about 1000 miles on it
over the summer. The bike is in great shape and I just had it
professionally tuned at a local bike shop. The following is what the
previous owner had to say about it:

"I bought the bike new in spring of 2001. Never crashed. Rode it fairly
frequently 1st year, 2 centuries (bike made it with flying colors, wish
I could say the same for me), mostly excersize rides. 2nd year mainly
on trainer in basement."

So the bike is in great shape. The rack is not on the bike in the
photos, but it is included in the auction. Just email me you want to a
see a picture of it. EXACT SHIPPING WILL BE PAID BY THE WINNING
BIDDER.*Insurance will also be required.*This likely will not exceed
$50. Thanks for looking and feel free to email me with any questions
you have.