admitting defeat: suggestions on platform pedals?

Old September 7th 03, 11:48 PM
Monique Y. Herman

Default admitting defeat: suggestions on platform pedals?

So um ... when I made my debut on this newsgroup, it was to ask whether
I should stick with clipless while learning the fine art of mountain
biking. I got lots of opinions and eventually decided to stick with
what I had.

Time to eat crow =)

I refuse to side with either the clipless or the platform enthusiasts --
all I know is that I am having trouble learning both how to attack a
mountain and how to deal with clipless pedals all at once. I love
the feeling of security on clipless pedals ... unless of course I'm
going uphill (and afraid I won't make it to the top) ... or I'm going
over anything rocky at all ... or ... or ...

The killing blow today was the rain. I did fine, actually, but trying
to balance my arches on slick-wet pedals and somehow keep them from
clipping in ... ugh. Clipless no doubt have great grip, but I'm out of
them too much to take advantage of it.

I suspect I may go back to clipless when all is said and done, but that
may be months or years from now. Or never. Just don't know.

Okay, all that being said, a question for you platform pedal
enthusiasts: What should I be looking for? Can you give me some links
to your faves? How about "good deals" that might not be ideal but are a
pretty good mix of cost and utility?

I live near the front range in Colorado. I don't expect to see much in
the way of mud or wetness when I'm biking, if that matters in pedal
choice. I'm riding a full-suspension bike, if that matters.

Also, Mr. Super Slinky posted the following:
Quote:
Get platforms that look like this:

http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/ri...u_dh_pedal.htm

Not ones that look like this:

http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/wt...ntum_pedal.htm
What's the difference? This newbie doesn't see much.

Also, my fiance suggested that the following pedal would be grippier
than the one Slinky pointed out, and therefore better. Thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/kn0y

(Nashbar Big Mashers)

Finally, do I need special biking shoes for better grip on platform
pedals, or are your basic sneakers better?

Thanks, all, for any suggestions you may be able to make =)

--
monique

My pointless ramblings:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/phorum/index.php?f=6
Old September 8th 03, 12:01 AM
Kathleen

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
So um ... when I made my debut on this newsgroup, it was to ask whether
I should stick with clipless while learning the fine art of mountain
biking. I got lots of opinions and eventually decided to stick with
what I had.

Time to eat crow =)

snip

Don't feel bad about deciding to switch back to platforms. Mountain
biking is about fun, right? If your clipless pedals were a major and
ongoing source of stress, you were right to dump 'em.
I agree with Superslinky's recommendation:
http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/ri...u_dh_pedal.htm
These are the pedals my daughter uses and they seem to work well.
Plenty grippy, but if you do happen to slip or get bounced off the
pedals, they won't bite you *too* deeply. When you make your decision,
always keep in mind how that pedal might feel if it hits you in the shin...
As to shoes, a pair of Vans works nicely for my daughter. However, if
you've had problems in the past with ankle or arch pain you might want
to look for something stiffer.

Kathleen

Old September 8th 03, 12:10 AM
Steve

I'm in the same boat. I like the clipless pedals but when it looks like
I'm not going to make it I still can't seem to get out fast enough.
Riding around with the pedal on my instep isn't a very good solution either.

I think I'm going to try a single sided pedal with a decent sized cage.
If it turns out that it's too much of a pain to flip the pedals, I'll
put them on my road bike.

Steve.

Old September 8th 03, 12:17 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 18:01:57 -0500, Kathleen penned:

Don't feel bad about deciding to switch back to platforms. Mountain
biking is about fun, right? If your clipless pedals were a major and
ongoing source of stress, you were right to dump 'em.

Fun?!?!?! This is supposed to be fun??

=P

At the moment it seems to be more about challenge and fitness (or lack
thereof) than fun, but I think it'll be a bit like any other sport for
me ... I can't have fun till I reach a certain level of competence that
makes up for the frustration of not being perfect. (Yes, Type A fits me
perfectly, why do you ask?)

As I said, I can see some benefit to clipless and would like to try them
again ... after I feel more confident skidding up and down rocks,
rolling along at slow speeds, etc.

I agree with Superslinky's recommendation:
http://www.cambriabike.com/pedals/ri...u_dh_pedal.htm
These are the pedals my daughter uses and they seem to work well.
Plenty grippy, but if you do happen to slip or get bounced off the
pedals, they won't bite you *too* deeply. When you make your decision,
always keep in mind how that pedal might feel if it hits you in the shin...

Is the grippiness purely from the little metal bits, or is it also a
function of the pedal material? Is that hard plastic, hard rubber, or
slightly soft rubber?

As to shoes, a pair of Vans works nicely for my daughter. However, if
you've had problems in the past with ankle or arch pain you might want
to look for something stiffer.

My shimano shoes are really comfy ... but my fiance tells me they will
get in the way of my traction on the platforms =/ Vans would probably
be a bit floppy for me, but I have various sneakers that are at least as
breathable as my shimanos.

Thanks for the input =)

Old September 8th 03, 12:32 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Finally, do I need special biking shoes for better grip on platform
pedals, or are your basic sneakers better?

Thanks, all, for any suggestions you may be able to make =)

I tried Azonic's at about eighty bucks, but now I'm using Haro magnesiums at
about half that. The Haros seem lighter and work as well or better.

For shoes, you want something with a reasonably stiff sole, but not with lugs -
which mess up your foot alignment as the spikes on the pedals find their way
into the grooves between lugs.

Just plain old Docksiders work really well - but wear out way fast.

OTOH the Nike lightweight hiking shoes I'm using now have lasted me almost two
years so far.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old September 8th 03, 12:40 AM
Monique Y. Herman

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 23:32:40 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) penned:
RE/
Finally, do I need special biking shoes for better grip on platform
pedals, or are your basic sneakers better?

Thanks, all, for any suggestions you may be able to make =)

I tried Azonic's at about eighty bucks, but now I'm using Haro magnesiums at
about half that. The Haros seem lighter and work as well or better.

For shoes, you want something with a reasonably stiff sole, but not with lugs -
which mess up your foot alignment as the spikes on the pedals find their way
into the grooves between lugs.

Just plain old Docksiders work really well - but wear out way fast.

OTOH the Nike lightweight hiking shoes I'm using now have lasted me almost two
years so far.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

I see the magnesiums he
http://www.harobikes.com/parts/?CFG=21&S_CatID=Pedals

Do you use the big-block or small? Do you happen to know what the
difference is between the pro and expert lines?

Is magnesium used just for the weight? If so, does that affect their
structural integrity?

Ooh, lightweight hiking shoes ... I've been looking for an excuse to get
some of those, anyway ...

Old September 8th 03, 02:17 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Do you use the big-block or small? Do you happen to know what the
difference is between the pro and expert lines?

Is magnesium used just for the weight? If so, does that affect their
structural integrity?

I use the big-block (size 15's....).

Dunno what the diff between pro/expert is, but would look for things like
weight, threaded vs non-threaded spikes, and bearing
adjustability/servicability.

I weigh about 220# and have been riding the mags for about three years now.
Broke a crank and cracked a frame in that time, but no problem with the pedals.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old September 8th 03, 02:19 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/

Personally: I have not had much luck riding platforms without the big
nasty pointy teeth.

The teeth aren't that bad on BMX pedals because they're flat instead of pointed.
You'll lose a little blood, but it's more of a scrape than a puncture.

Worst pedal laceration I ever got was from the "normal" pedals with the little
upward protrusions at the edge of the cage. The wound seemed to go in about
1/4 inch and then spread around underneath for about an inch....the thing
spurted and wept yellow fluid for almost a week.. Yecch.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old September 8th 03, 02:25 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Do you use the big-block or small?

Just one more thought on big/small: without toe clips, there's always a certain
amoung of doubt as to exactly where your foot is - and if it's a little
off-center and you go across a long enough stretch of rough ground your foot
*can* bounce off the pedal. I figure the bigger the pedal, the less chance of
losing all contact with it.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old September 8th 03, 03:11 AM
BB

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 22:48:20 -0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

Finally, do I need special biking shoes for better grip on platform
pedals, or are your basic sneakers better?

I never could stand open platforms. My feet were always coming off of
them. I preferred Power Grips, which work like toe clips except you can
twist your foot and tighten the grip. The beauty of them is, if you don't
twist your foot, they're loose and getting out is a breeze. They have the
same disadvantage of toe clips, that they are always on the bottom of the
pedal when you want to get into them. Of course, with those or toeclips
you can just ride it like an open platform until you can flip it over to
get in, but it always freaked me out that I might catch them on something.

Anyway, as shoes go - I used tennis shoes for awhile, until I found some
freaky looking leather shoes at Marshalls that had very stiff soles. I
liked those a whole lot better. After I switched to clipless, I gave them
to a friend and he liked them as well. Stiff soles aren't necessary, but
they're nice.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)