When to honk at a bicyclist

Old October 21st 04, 01:36 AM
R.White

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:45:03 GMT,
,
"neil0502" wrote:

What
matters is the effect of the cyclist's actions on that motorist:
having to swerve, delaying their travel, necessitating a delayed and
dangerous pass on a double-yellow stretch, etc., etc.

Fukem.

I rest my case!
Old October 21st 04, 02:15 AM
Zoot Katz

20 Oct 2004 17:36:04 -0700,
,
(R.White) piddled:

Fukem.

I rest my case!

You are a case.
--
zk
Old October 21st 04, 02:17 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:57:13 -0700, ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

The angry horsie guy reminded me of the comix character:
Reid Fleming, Toughest Milkman in the World.

I think of him every time I see a roque mallet.
--
zk
Old October 21st 04, 09:22 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Badger_South writes:

Here's where you say, 'how many times have you seen that behavior?' If they
say all the time, then you say, 'have you considered taking a different
route?' That's when you'll really get blasted, b/c to suggest to a driver
that they change their driving behavior is unheard of! ;-D

On that note I'll point out that the three traffic laws aimed
specifically at cyclists -- mandatory side path, mandatory
bike lane, and keep as far right (in North America) as
practicable -- are entirely about motorists' convenience.

To my knowledge there are no similar laws aimed at motorists
for the convenience of cyclists. Not that I particularly
want any special treatment. But ... equal, schmequal.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 21st 04, 10:20 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:22:56 -0700, (Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
Badger_South writes:

Here's where you say, 'how many times have you seen that behavior?' If they
say all the time, then you say, 'have you considered taking a different
route?' That's when you'll really get blasted, b/c to suggest to a driver
that they change their driving behavior is unheard of! ;-D

On that note I'll point out that the three traffic laws aimed
specifically at cyclists -- mandatory side path, mandatory
bike lane, and keep as far right (in North America) as
practicable -- are entirely about motorists' convenience.

To my knowledge there are no similar laws aimed at motorists
for the convenience of cyclists. Not that I particularly
want any special treatment. But ... equal, schmequal.

cheers,
Tom

I was stunned to learn that Newport News actually has a law the makes it
illegal to ride in the street if there's a bike path adjacent. Guess you
have to tunnel under the roadway to cross the street, sheesh. This is -so-
retarded. What if there's a hole or fallen tree across the bike lane. and
you need to detour? I didn't see any 'reasonably accessible', or 'unless
the traffic pattern won't permit', or anything. That means you get hit in
the road near a bike path, and you're just so much road kill.

I'm mean I'm being cranky, but dayum...put in bike paths but leave the
restrictions out of it, please. You'd think there were hoards of unruly
cyclists that need corralled, lest they take over the roads like locust!
;-

-B

Old October 22nd 04, 02:43 AM
R15757

Wayne Pein wrote in part:

Bicyclists do not and should not have to worry about causing overtaking
motorists to have to slow down, whether there is a "need" to
purposefully do so or not. And there is no need to be aware of
approaching motor vehicles. All the bicyclist must do is be predictable
and hold a consistent line. In other words, one can be deaf and still
drive a bike, as one can be deaf and drive a motor vehicle. The burden
of overtaking is on the overtaker.

That's a fantasy. In reality, riding successfully in heavy traffic is dependent
on a 360-degree awareness of nearby road users. If your ears don't work, you'd
better get a mirror.

Robert
Old October 22nd 04, 03:10 AM
R15757

Tom Keats wrote in part:

On that note I'll point out that the three traffic laws aimed
specifically at cyclists -- mandatory side path, mandatory
bike lane, and keep as far right (in North America) as
practicable -- are entirely about motorists' convenience.

The last one is convenient for motorists, but really
the law is about the overall flow of traffic, of which
cyclists are a part. It is just a version of slower
vehicle keep right. The law is not a slap in the face to
cyclists, especially when you consider that most
jurisdictions add a long list of exceptions to the rule--
for cyclists' safety and convenience.

Robert
Old October 22nd 04, 05:00 AM
Pete

"Badger_South" wrote

I was stunned to learn that Newport News actually has a law the makes it
illegal to ride in the street if there's a bike path adjacent.

The only saving grace is that Newport News has very few actual "bike paths".
The onse they do have are literally upsized sidewalks.

And FWIW, I've never, ever, been stopped for not obeying this 'law'.

Pete