Joey and "tapping" back in the news.

Old February 3rd 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Joey and "tapping" back in the news.

copied and pasted by crit PRO.....

Porter: Steelers Will Make Seahawks Ask Out of Game

Feb 2, 6:58 PM (ET)

By ALAN ROBINSON

(AP) Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter stretches before
footballpractice Thursday, Feb. 2, 2006...
Full Image

PONTIAC, Mich. (AP) - Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter isn't scheduled
to talk publicly again before the Super Bowl. There's some question
about which team is happier: his Steelers or the Seattle Seahawks.

Porter kept up his verbal barrage on Thursday, saying the Steelers will
be so physical in the Super Bowl they will try to make Seattle quit
playing.

"We're going to try to tap out as many people as we can, I'm going to
put it like that," Porter said at the players' final pre-Super Bowl
news conference. "We're going to try to send as many people to the
sideline as we can."

Asked what he meant by "tap out," Porter patted the top of his head
with his hand - a sign that the player is tired or injured and wants to
come out of the game.

The reaction to Porter's comments was predictable. Some Steelers
teammates rolled their eyes and said, "That's Joey" - shrugging off the
latest outburst by their most talkative and combative player.

The Seahawks appeared unaffected by Porter's words, much as they did
the day before when he erupted over tight end Jerramy Stevens'
seemingly harmless comment that Seattle planned to spoil Jerome Bettis'
retirement party.

Stevens seemed perplexed by Porter's ongoing verbal baiting and the
reaction to it, calling the media coverage "ridiculous."

"This is something I wish I didn't have to deal with, but it's not that
big a deal," Stevens said. "What's said right now won't have any impact
on Sunday. I'm pretty close to unaffected. It doesn't have any bearing
on how I'm going to approach the game."

Still, a day after both players sat at small tables with few people
around them for news conferences, Porter and Stevens each got a podium
to accommodate the large crowds that wanted to hear them on Thursday.

By contrast, league MVP Shaun Alexander and Pro Bowl starting
quarterback Matt Hasselbeck of Seattle and Steelers quarterback Ben
Roethlisberger had much smaller crowds than either Porter or Stevens.

"Some people need something to be motivated. If that's what he found,
that's what he found," Stevens said. "I don't feel I was out of line. I
meant what I said. I am not going to repeat it to stir something up. I
meant it, and I meant it with no disrespect."

Both coaches played down any affect on the game by Porter's constant
talking, but Seattle coach Mike Holmgren talked to his team about not
creating any more distractions.

"Jeremy won't say anymore the rest of the week," he said, mindful that
players have no more scheduled interview sessions before Sunday's game.
"I didn't really make too much of it."

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Porter has always been emotional and
"was only being himself."

Porter said he wouldn't have said anything if Stevens hadn't talked.

"I don't want to go into a situation where you can't say how you really
feel and you're acting like it's going to be a nice day," Porter said.
"It's not going to be a nice day. They're trying to come out and win
the same trophy I want to win and only one of us can have it.

"Now I know how they really feel, and now I can tell you know how I
really feel. I don't have to hold any punches any more. If they're
looking for a fight, I've been ready for a fight."

Several Steelers acted as if they wish Porter hadn't spoken out,
possibly giving the Seahawks extra motivation - especially during a
week the two Super Bowl finalists otherwise have been respectful of
each other.

"We had to keep him on a gag order a little bit," receiver Hines Ward
said. "But if they start it, Joey is going to finish it. Trust me."

Steelers linebacker James Farrior laughed when he heard the "tap out"
comment, saying he's never seen an NFL player ask to be taken out
because the game was too rough.

"I don't know if he's going to be able to tap anybody out. This is the
Super Bowl," Farrior said. "He's going to really have to play hard to
tap somebody out."

Unlike AFC teams, the Seahawks aren't accustomed to Porter's outbursts.
Farrior suggested that might account for their reaction.

Earlier in the playoffs, Porter suggested the Colts were a soft team.
Then, after the Steelers upset Indianapolis 21-18, Porter accused the
game officials of "cheating" the Steelers and said the NFL badly wanted
Peyton Manning and the Colts to win.

Cowher stepped in to end that talk, calling Porter's comments
"ridiculous."

---=

AP Sports Writers Andrea Adelson and Gregg Bell contributed to this
report.

Old February 4th 06, 09:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article
.com,
"crit PRO" wrote:

copied and pasted by crit PRO.....

Porter: Steelers Will Make Seahawks Ask Out of Game

Feb 2, 6:58 PM (ET)

By ALAN ROBINSON

(AP)

[...]

Both coaches played down any affect on the game by Porter's constant
talking, but Seattle coach Mike Holmgren talked to his team about not
creating any more distractions.

[...]

AP Sports Writers Andrea Adelson and Gregg Bell contributed to this
report.

People who are paid money to write cannot distinguish
`affect' and `effect'. And their editors too. It isn't
difficult. They are unread boors and just don't care.

--
Michael Press