A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Chain waxing



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 6th 18, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Chain waxing

Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain lubing,
I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot mixture of solid and
liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say it works
pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is almost perfectly
clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with some paper towel. I do not
know yet when I will have to wax it again, but it seems to hold pretty
well.

--
Tanguy
  #2  
Old June 6th 18, 12:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Chain waxing

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 09:05:25 -0000 (UTC),
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain
lubing, I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot
mixture of solid and liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of
paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say
it works pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is
almost perfectly clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with
some paper towel. I do not know yet when I will have to wax it
again, but it seems to hold pretty well.


I've used wax on my chains for about 25 years. I've always used
an old coffee can and meat thermometer with 100% parrafin wax
(GulfWax, found with canning supplies). My practice has been to
put it on the stove and heat it to about 250 F, then dip chains
into it one at a time--fishing them out with a piece of coat
hanger wire, and laying them out on old newspaper to drain a bit.

Recently we moved into a house that has a glossy black solid
topped range, and I didn't want to put the process onto it. So I
went out last weekend and got one of these multi-cookers:

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-114324...SIN=B00006IUWH

It worked great. The temperature control does away with the need
for the meat thermometer, and the basket allows me to drain each
dipped chain before putting it out onto paper. The drain basket
does away with the need to fish around in the wax for the chains
(sometimes the quick links have been awfully hard to find).

I'm amazed at how much easier this is, plus I can do it all in the
garage and not have the potential to make a mess in the kitchen.

I've always kept an extra chain for each bike, and not re-dipped
until most of them need it. This new process is so much simpler,
I may be dipping more often--like when each bike has a chain
(rather than two) that needs waxing.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
  #3  
Old June 6th 18, 01:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default Chain waxing

Theodore Heise, 2018-06-06 13:54+0200:
Recently we moved into a house that has a glossy black solid
topped range, and I didn't want to put the process onto it. So I
went out last weekend and got one of these multi-cookers:


Regarding the process, since I have an induction cooktop too, I simply
have the wax mixture in a glass jar, which I double-boil until it is
fully liquid. I then dip the chain into it, and keep heating for ten
minutes, after which until I remove it with a twisted paperclip.

--
Tanguy
  #4  
Old June 6th 18, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 196
Default Chain waxing

Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain lubing,
I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot mixture of solid and
liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say it works
pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is almost perfectly
clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with some paper towel. I do not
know yet when I will have to wax it again, but it seems to hold pretty
well.


I waxed my chain this weekend and finally had the opportunity to take the
bike out yesterday. The chain is very quiet and runs quite smoothly.
Shifting wasn't as precise as it was before, but I'm thinking it should
come back to normal once more of the excess wax flakes off. The only
downside was that I didn't clean the chain scrupulously before waxing it,
and once I started sliding it around in the pot, a black cloud emanated
from the chain and engulfed the bottom of the pot, completely obscuring the
chain. I now have a pot of dark black wax, which I may just chuck in the
garbage. Hopefully the second waxing will be less expensive.

  #5  
Old June 6th 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Chain waxing

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:18:53 +0000 (UTC),
Ralph Barone wrote:
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about
chain lubing, I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a
hot mixture of solid and liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50%
of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say
it works pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is
almost perfectly clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with
some paper towel. I do not know yet when I will have to wax it
again, but it seems to hold pretty well.


I waxed my chain this weekend and finally had the opportunity
to take the bike out yesterday. The chain is very quiet and
runs quite smoothly. Shifting wasn't as precise as it was
before, but I'm thinking it should come back to normal once
more of the excess wax flakes off. The only downside was that I
didn't clean the chain scrupulously before waxing it, and once
I started sliding it around in the pot, a black cloud emanated
from the chain and engulfed the bottom of the pot, completely
obscuring the chain. I now have a pot of dark black wax, which
I may just chuck in the garbage. Hopefully the second waxing
will be less expensive.


Oh, let me add that even with 100% parrafin wax, it becomes dark
and opaque after a use or two. I think it may be from dirt or
wear debris from the chain itself.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
  #6  
Old June 6th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,607
Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-06 06:32, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:18:53 +0000 (UTC),
Ralph Barone wrote:
Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about
chain lubing, I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a
hot mixture of solid and liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50%
of paraffin oil).

After about 600 km, including some significant rain,, must say
it works pretty well. My chain still runs smoothly, and is
almost perfectly clean. When needed, I can simply wipe it with
some paper towel. I do not know yet when I will have to wax it
again, but it seems to hold pretty well.


I waxed my chain this weekend and finally had the opportunity
to take the bike out yesterday. The chain is very quiet and
runs quite smoothly. Shifting wasn't as precise as it was
before, but I'm thinking it should come back to normal once
more of the excess wax flakes off. The only downside was that I
didn't clean the chain scrupulously before waxing it, and once
I started sliding it around in the pot, a black cloud emanated
from the chain and engulfed the bottom of the pot, completely
obscuring the chain. I now have a pot of dark black wax, which
I may just chuck in the garbage. Hopefully the second waxing
will be less expensive.


Oh, let me add that even with 100% parrafin wax, it becomes dark
and opaque after a use or two. I think it may be from dirt or
wear debris from the chain itself.


It doesn't sound very healthy for the chain to soak it in dirty wax.

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for a
chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed by
a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I apply
White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy stuff
in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a Q-Tip to
dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings depending
on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets dirtier on roads.
40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The upside is that this
method does not require me to take the chain off the bike which I would
really dread.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #7  
Old June 6th 18, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,818
Default Chain waxing

Does Joerg have a sense of humor or is he just basically nuts? In a single paragraph he's proved the entirety of my thesis that the neurosis of chain-cleaning is a religious rite.

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 3:35:23 PM UTC+1, Joerg wrote:

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for a
chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed by
a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I apply
White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy stuff
in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a Q-Tip to
dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with a Kleenex.


  #8  
Old June 7th 18, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,780
Default Chain waxing

On 07/06/18 00:35, Joerg wrote:


It doesn't sound very healthy for the chain to soak it in dirty wax.


Doesn't seem to make any difference as far as I can tell.

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for a
chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed by
a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I apply
White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy stuff
in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a Q-Tip to
dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings depending
on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets dirtier on roads.
40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The upside is that this
method does not require me to take the chain off the bike which I would
really dread.


Wow. I leave the original chain lube on from the manufacturer to begin
with. That probably lasts 1000km or more.

I just checked a chain I put on in January. It's done over 3200km and
"stretched" 1/8 of an inch over 50 inches, or about 0.25%. I've wax
lubed it twice since I installed the chain, about every 1000km. There
has been road works where I live for two months, so every ride I have to
cross several hundred metres of dirt in each direction. I've also
cycled some gravel roads for fun.

I don't dread taking the chain off my bike because I use a Connex quick
link, and once it is removed, it facilitates much easier cleaning of
other parts, like the rear derailleur jockey wheels for example.

--
JS
  #9  
Old June 7th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,607
Default Chain waxing

On 2018-06-06 16:21, James wrote:
On 07/06/18 00:35, Joerg wrote:


It doesn't sound very healthy for the chain to soak it in dirty wax.


Doesn't seem to make any difference as far as I can tell.

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for
a chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed
by a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I
apply White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy
stuff in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a
Q-Tip to dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with
a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings
depending on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets
dirtier on roads. 40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The
upside is that this method does not require me to take the chain off
the bike which I would really dread.


Wow. I leave the original chain lube on from the manufacturer to begin
with. That probably lasts 1000km or more.

I just checked a chain I put on in January. It's done over 3200km and
"stretched" 1/8 of an inch over 50 inches, or about 0.25%. I've wax
lubed it twice since I installed the chain, about every 1000km. There
has been road works where I live for two months, so every ride I have to
cross several hundred metres of dirt in each direction. I've also
cycled some gravel roads for fun.


KMC factory lube lasts me a about 500mi on the road bike but not on the
MTB. There the chain becomes noisy after 50mi no matter what. Most
singletrack is very dusty in this area and the chain gets a good dose of
water when crossing little creeks.


I don't dread taking the chain off my bike because I use a Connex quick
link, and once it is removed, it facilitates much easier cleaning of
other parts, like the rear derailleur jockey wheels for example.


I also have a KMC quick disconnect on the MTB but it's not very easy to
get off.

BTW, I found the old Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chains to be the best in terms
of rubustness and service life. Even better than the Wippermann chains I
used before. Unfortunately they are no longer made :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #10  
Old June 8th 18, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,342
Default Chain waxing

On 6/6/2018 7:35 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I clean my chain thoroughly using interdental toothbrushes. My wive
found a brand at Costco that is more rigid than the usual ones so the
job goes faster now. First used for my teeth, then later some day for a
chain. Afterwards scrubbing with an old regular toothbrush, followed by
a good wipe-down with Kleenex. Once the chain is really shiny I apply
White Lightning Epic Ride. If you shake the bottle well the waxy stuff
in it dissolves and thus gets onto the chain as well. I use a Q-Tip to
dab it onlto the links, then gently wipe off any excess with a Kleenex.

That way a road bike chain can run 150-250mi between cleanings depending
on whether I ride more roads or more bike paths. Gets dirtier on roads.
40-50mi on the MTB, mostly on dirt trails. The upside is that this
method does not require me to take the chain off the bike which I would
really dread.


OMG, is anyone really spending that much time on chain maintenance?!

Get yourself a Park chain cleaner (or some other brand).
Fill it with kerosene and run the chain through it. Repeat with clean
solvent until the chain runs clean.

Unless the chain is in the solvent, and moving, you won't get it clean
on the inside.

When it's clean, lubricate it with a foaming chain lube.

Above all, avoid hot wax.

http://nordicgroup.us/chain/

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frame waxing thirty-six Techniques 3 June 30th 11 01:34 PM
Proper chain waxing techs Dave Techniques 7 September 13th 06 05:18 AM
Chain Waxing Followup HarryB Techniques 15 April 11th 06 02:35 AM
Chain waxing + graphite question HarryB Techniques 410 March 16th 06 02:57 AM
New chain waxing technique Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 9 February 2nd 06 06:04 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.