disc brake/disc wheels options

Old November 1st 04, 04:17 PM
JS

Default disc brake/disc wheels options

I'd like to convert my '02 Isis frame over to discs from v's. I ride
XC exclusively, mostly pretty tame trail riding with the occasional
fast downhill. I am 6'3 and weigh about 200-205 lbs. I'm scared to go
the Shimano route due to compatibility issues. What are some good
wheel and brake options and good online retailers for them? Cost is
definately a factor. I also don't want to go overboard on weight
since they will be primarily for XC.

TIA
Old November 1st 04, 05:19 PM
MattB

JS wrote:
I'd like to convert my '02 Isis frame over to discs from v's. I ride
XC exclusively, mostly pretty tame trail riding with the occasional
fast downhill. I am 6'3 and weigh about 200-205 lbs. I'm scared to go
the Shimano route due to compatibility issues. What are some good
wheel and brake options and good online retailers for them? Cost is
definately a factor. I also don't want to go overboard on weight
since they will be primarily for XC.

TIA

In May I got a new wheel/brake set for my birthday that I'm pretty happy
with. I ride mostly XC style stuff as well, and didn't want anything really
heavy. The setup I got ended up weighing about the same as my old wheels and
XTR V's (new wheels were lighter, brakes were heavier, although the SLs
weigh about the same as XT V's).

I got the Magura Pro Disc Wheelset and Magura Marta SL hydraulic brakes. I'm
very happy with them, but this was not a cheap setup, even with the
promotion thay had going at the time.

Magura also sells some more reasoably priced wheelsets and brakes (the plian
old Marta brakes and their regular wheels - wich would probably hold up
better for your someone of your size).

So there's something to look into. For "factory built" wheels, they came in
great shape and the local wrenches said they didn't have to do any
tensioning or other adjustments (as is usually the case with factory wheels)
on them.

I also looked into Avid Mechanicals, and could have just as easily gone that
route for the brakes. I've always heard good things about them, but the
timing was just right for the tricked out Marta SLs. I also know some people
who are pretty happy with Shimano discs (LX, XT, XTR) so I wouldn't discount
those in your search either, since it sounds like you may need new wheels
anyway.

Good luck!

Matt

Old November 1st 04, 07:07 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-01, MattB penned:

[snip]

I also looked into Avid Mechanicals, and could have just as easily gone that
route for the brakes. I've always heard good things about them, but the
timing was just right for the tricked out Marta SLs. I also know some people
who are pretty happy with Shimano discs (LX, XT, XTR) so I wouldn't discount
those in your search either, since it sounds like you may need new wheels
anyway.

The bike I got this summer came with avid mechs, and they've treated me well.
I always take my wheel off between rides, so I did learn that they will rub if
you don't put them in just right. I've trained myself to spin the wheel and
listen for rub before I get on the trail. If I do hear something, I pull the
wheel out, rotate it a tiny bit, and put it back in, then check again. I
assume that this could be an issue with any brand, not just avids, but these
are the only ones I've ever tried.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Old November 2nd 04, 01:17 AM
Zilla

On 2004-11-01, MattB penned:

[snip]

I also looked into Avid Mechanicals, and could have just as easily
gone that route for the brakes. I've always heard good things about
them, but the timing was just right for the tricked out Marta SLs. I
also know some people who are pretty happy with Shimano discs (LX,
XT, XTR) so I wouldn't discount those in your search either, since
it sounds like you may need new wheels anyway.

The bike I got this summer came with avid mechs, and they've treated
me well. I always take my wheel off between rides, so I did learn
that they will rub if you don't put them in just right.

(snip)

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

To help you put your wheels on "just right", try the following...
- Set the bike on its wheels, with the QRs disengaged
- Push down on the handlebars (for front) or the seat (for rear)
- While pushing down, lock the appropriate QR

Works for me all the time.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old November 2nd 04, 01:41 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-02, Zilla penned:

To help you put your wheels on "just right", try the following... - Set the
bike on its wheels, with the QRs disengaged - Push down on the handlebars
(for front) or the seat (for rear) - While pushing down, lock the
appropriate QR

Works for me all the time.

How tall are you? Locking the QRs while pushing down on the handlebars
doesn't sound all that easy from here (but I can't test it, anyway, because of
my wrist).

Old November 2nd 04, 01:49 AM
Zilla

On 2004-11-02, Zilla penned:

To help you put your wheels on "just right", try the following... -
Set the bike on its wheels, with the QRs disengaged - Push down on
the handlebars (for front) or the seat (for rear) - While pushing
down, lock the appropriate QR

Works for me all the time.

How tall are you? Locking the QRs while pushing down on the
handlebars doesn't sound all that easy from here (but I can't test
it, anyway, because of my wrist).

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

Have Eric, or someone else help. I'm 5'7" and I somehow
manage. You don't have to push down hard, just enough
to sit the QR even on each end.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old November 2nd 04, 02:24 AM
Nate

JS wrote in message . ..
I'd like to convert my '02 Isis frame over to discs from v's. I ride
XC exclusively, mostly pretty tame trail riding with the occasional
fast downhill. I am 6'3 and weigh about 200-205 lbs. I'm scared to go
the Shimano route due to compatibility issues. What are some good
wheel and brake options and good online retailers for them? Cost is
definately a factor. I also don't want to go overboard on weight
since they will be primarily for XC.

TIA

If you don't mind mechanical disc brakes rather than hydraulic, Avid
makes a decent mech. disc brake for a low price. Easy to set up,
easy to adjust, and fairly light compared to other disc brakes.

This page lists all kinds of disc brakes, their weights, and a link
to the manufacturer's site.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/li...ype=discbrakes

Nate
Old November 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-02, Zilla penned:
On 2004-11-02, Zilla penned:

To help you put your wheels on "just right", try the following... - Set
the bike on its wheels, with the QRs disengaged - Push down on the
handlebars (for front) or the seat (for rear) - While pushing down, lock
the appropriate QR

Works for me all the time.

How tall are you? Locking the QRs while pushing down on the handlebars
doesn't sound all that easy from here (but I can't test it, anyway, because
of my wrist).

Have Eric, or someone else help. I'm 5'7" and I somehow manage. You don't
have to push down hard, just enough to sit the QR even on each end.

No thanks. I'd rather keep using my method than require someone else around
just so I can ride my bike squeak-free.

..... For that matter, I'm not sure why pushing on both sides of the skewer
while the bike's upside down wouldn't have the same effect?

Old November 2nd 04, 11:59 AM
Duncan

On 2004-11-02, Zilla penned:

To help you put your wheels on "just right", try the following... - Set

the
bike on its wheels, with the QRs disengaged - Push down on the

handlebars
(for front) or the seat (for rear) - While pushing down, lock the
appropriate QR

Works for me all the time.

How tall are you? Locking the QRs while pushing down on the handlebars
doesn't sound all that easy from here (but I can't test it, anyway,

because of
my wrist).

Turn the bike upside down and let gravity do the work.

disc brakes - new wheels ? David UK 8 August 12th 04 10:18 AM
Why are the wheels big? Why not tiny wheels? Kolaga Xiuhtecuhtli General 45 November 5th 03 10:25 PM
F/S LEW graphite 650c Tubular Wheels Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 08:00 PM