Bicycling Magazine

Old April 26th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Matt O'Toole

Default Bicycling Magazine

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:54:38 -0700, joekhul wrote:

Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I found
no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last couple of
years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because I send money
to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate to -- it might
be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's some useful
articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and now I find I
do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?

It's improved but it's still a shadow of what it could be.

Bicycling.com has a lot of traffic even though it sucks, and I mean really
sucks, which is a testament to the power of branding and branding. Too bad
Rodale are such poor stewards of that -- they're leaving a lot of money on
the table.

Matt O.
Old April 26th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
joekhul

On Apr 24, 8:54*pm, joekhul wrote:
Is it me or has Bicycling magazine gotten a little better in the past
couple of years? I tried it some years ago, but it appeared to me that
it was a flashy magazine designed for extreme(!) young guys and I
found no value in it and didn't miss it one iota. But in the last
couple of years I've been getting it whether I want it or not because
I send money to some bicycling organization (there's a couple I donate
to -- it might be Cyclist.org...I don't know); and I see now there's
some useful articles in each issue or at least in their sidebars; and
now I find I do enjoy some of the articles.

I don't know -- what do you all think?

Yeah, well, I generally agree with most of the responses here. I too
quickly peruse Bicycling and then flip it in the employee magzine rack
at work. (Where my current issue is now). As for pg. 136 of the
current issue (5 Things To Make You Faster), I don't even see those
type of write-ups -- it goes past over me like commercials on TV.
(Though I read it this time because it was mentioned here). I did
though enjoy the blurb about Lance Armstrong opening up that super-
bike shop in Austin.

And as for the actor and his wife/girlfriend bicycling and being noted
in the last issue; I too had to shake my head when all Bicycling
mentioned was his name and that they weren't wearing helmets. I
thought -- "That's all they could come up with?!"

The other group I belong to is Adventure Cycling. They've got a pretty
good magazine and have well written articles that are enjoyable and
worth reading. I wish though that a lot of these groups would simply
place their subscriptions online and you download them as pdf files.
This way you don't need a hardcopy and you can save one or two years
worth of magazines on one CD disk. (And of course they'd be very
portable this way).
Old April 29th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Király

catzz66 wrote:
I subscribe and pass it on to my family to read, but don't rely on it to
learn anything deep about bikes, only to keep up with what's current. I
have not really ever found a monthly bike magazine that interests me all
that much. I'd rather be out riding.

The British mag Cycling Plus is quite good. At least it was last time I
looked at it. Articles about good rides, about how to pack well for
touring, a few arts on the racing circuit, and plenty of just general
good advice for all types of riders.

Problem is, it costs an arm and a leg at the local specialty import
newsstand, if they even have it in.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old April 30th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
joekhul

On Apr 29, 4:51*pm, (Király) wrote:
catzz66 wrote:
I subscribe and pass it on to my family to read, but don't rely on it to
learn anything deep about bikes, only to keep up with what's current. *I
have not really ever found a monthly bikemagazinethat interests me all
that much. *I'd rather be out riding.

The British mag Cycling Plus is quite good. *At least it was last time I
looked at it. *Articles about good rides, about how to pack well for
touring, a few arts on the racing circuit, and plenty of just general
good advice for all types of riders.

Problem is, it costs an arm and a leg at the local specialty import
newsstand, if they even have it in.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Thanks for that mention of Cycling Plus. I'll check it out. My local
bookstore carries it though it's out right now, they're awaiting the
next shipment. I'll check out a copy. I'm not big into magazines,
that's why I wish they were online; but it's sometimes nice to have an
informative mag laying about when you want to peruse your favorite
pastime late at nights - especially when they have worthwhile articles.
Old May 1st 08, 10:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

=v= They mentioned one of the best rides my group does!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/2454772800/

_Jym_

Old May 1st 08, 10:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

I browsed a Bicycling Magazine publication in the used book
store just today. There were step-by-step photographs and
instructions for repairing tubular tires. It was a repair
manual from ~1990. I'm guessing because I didn't look at
the copyright or printing history

=v= Yeah, they've published some nice repair books with lots
of helpful photos. I learned a lot from them -- everything but
truing wheels, which I learned from a community bikes zine.

=v= Having lots of photos is a good approach.
_Jym_

Old May 1st 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Veloise

The folks I sent the money to is: League of American Bicyclists. They
can be found at www.bikeleague.org

You become a member with them and you get subscribed to Bicycle
magazine, plus you get a quarterly publication of American Bicyclist.

As a Life Member of the L.A.W./B., I am stuck with a freebie sub to
Buycycling until it goes to the great talk show in the sky. (Rodale
Sr. reference.)

American Bicyclist is the correct (current) name for the L.A.B.
magazine. It was quarterly, now it's more frequent. (For some reason
they send me two copies --now there's a way to boost circulation!--
but I'm not getting up to check the stack.) If memory serves, members
requested more publications per year, and they complied.

Now if they'd just bring back the Editor's Scrapbook...compilations
from bike club newsletters and fun stuff from throughout the
country...

--Karen D.
there's a reason I know this
Old May 1st 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 1, 7:48 am, Veloise wrote:

American Bicyclist is the correct (current) name for the L.A.B.
magazine. ...

Now if they'd just bring back the Editor's Scrapbook...compilations
from bike club newsletters and fun stuff from throughout the
country...

.... and ditch the "Any bike facility is a good bike facility" agenda!

- Frank Krygowski