Pavement that makes you think tire is flat or leaking air

Old May 26th 17, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Pavement that makes you think tire is flat or leaking air

There is an area I frequently ride in that has two sections (apart from each other by a number of kilometers/miles) that when ridden upon give you this feeling that your tire has flatted or has a slow leak. This feeling is so strong that newbies on the rides will stop to check their tires unless someone tells them to keep going. One of these sections of pavement occurs right after you turn onto that road from another road and the turn is an acute angle NOT a 90 degree turn. On top of that the the road with that weird pavement is on a hill. It really sucks to stop or slow becaue you're now thinking you've got a flat tire only to find that it's the pavement that's slowed you down not a flat or slow leak.

Do any of you ever experience such a change in riding surface going from one road to another or even on the same road going from newer to older asphalt or from old to newer asphalt?

Cheers
Old May 26th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/26/2017 4:32 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I imagine we're all aware that rougher pavement causes more rolling
resistance. Coarse-grained asphalt is slower than fine-grained asphalt,
which is slower than smooth concrete. And the very few times I've been
able to ride indoors on smooth vinyl flooring it felt great.

So is that what's going on with your road?

The other possibility might be a "false flat," i.e. a road that looks
level but is slightly uphill. Those can seem merciless.

I remember one solo tour sort of early in the season when I was in my
50s. After about 50 miles I stopped in some guy's yard to rest and take
a drink, and we chatted. I said "I can't believe how tired I feel," and
he said "Do you realize you've been riding uphill for miles? You're
close to one of the highest points around here."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 17, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

If you're talking about Big Pinehurst I have heard a lot of people say that but I've never experienced it. Seems to me a rather mild hill.
Old May 26th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Every time I cross the Québec/Ontario border.

--
duane
Old May 27th 17, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 6:50:14 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

LOL! Yeah, but these to sections i'm talking about feel almost as if the pavement is soft. It's not like goping from a smooth pavement surface to a coarse pavement surface. It feels almost as if something is physically actually holding your bike back. Just a weird feeling when you get onto either of those sections.

Cheers
Cheers
Old May 27th 17, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I have noticed that in some places. Seems like the tire is sticking to it.
Maybe it's some different mix in the asphalt or something.

--
duane
Old May 27th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On the 401 or 417?
--
Andrew Chaplin
Sit mihi gladius sicut Sancto Martino

Old May 27th 17, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

There is a 10 square foot patched section of roadway on my way to work that is like flypaper or sticky spring snow on a warm day -- or mud. If you hit it at speed, it feels like you're going to get thrown over your bars. I couldn't imagine riding on a roadway with this stuff as the main surface material. I rode on chip seal in the Ozarks that melted and stuck to my tires. They looked like nut sundaes. I had to toss my fenders because they were filled with tar and rocks.

I've had the same thing happen on a hot ride, to where I had to sit down
under a tree and spend at least 15 minutes scraping stuff off the tires.
But I doubt that's what's going on with Sir's situation. I doubt it's
hot enough up there this early in the year for tar to soften. And he
didn't mention the effect being weather dependent.

Sir, how does the road feel if you reverse direction? I'm still
wondering about a false flat.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 27th 17, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor...ssing_disorder