Dashcam footage captures cyclist being 'doored' before car narrowlyavoids running him over

Old May 19th 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

Default Dashcam footage captures cyclist being 'doored' before carnarrowly avoids running him over

On Thu, 18 May 2017 20:00:27 +0100, wrote:

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 7:45:40 PM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
This is the moment a London cyclist is sent flying when a driver opens
the door of his parked van without looking.

The dramatic pictures, captured by a dashboard camera in a following
car, show the risks of cyclists being “doored” by motorists failing to
check their mirrors.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3542066.html

This is why cyclists should ride in the Primary position even though this involves 'Riding in the middle of the road'.

Subsidised Road Users need to realise Primary road users do not have to get out of their way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_3lrkjSr4

More cars use the road than cyclists, so cars are the primary user you idiot.

Obstructing the highway (which is what you're doing by operating your bicycle slower than all the cars in the middle of the road) is an offence.

--
Heaven forbid that we allow men and women to become heroes.
Too many regulations exist to keep cowards from being embarrassed.
Old May 19th 17, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:53:22 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 19/05/2017 12:44, MrCheerful wrote:
On 19/05/2017 11:28, Nick wrote:
On 19/05/2017 11:15, MrCheerful wrote:

Taking the lane would have protected the cyclist from the door and let
the van behind know it couldn't overtake.

'car' not van.

Thank you for the correction, but I'm not sure what difference it makes.

as there is a van in one of the pictures it could confuse someone.

The camera car was not making any attempt to overtake afaics.

If cyclists had compulsory roadcraft education before being allowed on
the road, crashes like this one would be greatly reduced.

One assumes that you agree with taking the lane then?

I've never seen a cyclist stupid enough to take an entire lane. He'd **** off every single driver trying to get past.

--
When you own Llamas... spit happens
Old May 19th 17, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/05/2017 12:44, MrCheerful wrote:

The camera car was not making any attempt to overtake afaics.

I'm not sure but it looked to me as if the car was closing on the
cyclist as if it were going to overtake. Given what happened we can see
why close overtakes are so dangerous.

If cyclists had compulsory roadcraft education before being allowed on
the road, crashes like this one would be greatly reduced.

Possibly but the danger clearly can from the van and the car. I feel it
is more their responsibility to avoid accidents than it is the cyclists.
Old May 19th 17, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 19/05/2017 11:28, Nick wrote:
On 19/05/2017 11:15, MrCheerful wrote:

Taking the lane would have protected the cyclist from the door and
let
the van behind know it couldn't overtake.

'car' not van.

Thank you for the correction, but I'm not sure what difference it
makes.

as there is a van in one of the pictures it could confuse someone.

The camera car was not making any attempt to overtake afaics.

If cyclists had compulsory roadcraft education before being allowed on
the road, crashes like this one would be greatly reduced.

One assumes that you agree with taking the lane then?

I've never seen a cyclist stupid enough to take an entire lane. He'd
**** off every single driver trying to get past.

I was just about to say it was good to see everyone on urc agreeing, but...
Old May 19th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On 19/05/2017 11:28, Nick wrote:
On 19/05/2017 11:15, MrCheerful wrote:

Taking the lane would have protected the cyclist from the door and
let
the van behind know it couldn't overtake.

'car' not van.

Thank you for the correction, but I'm not sure what difference it
makes.

as there is a van in one of the pictures it could confuse someone.

The camera car was not making any attempt to overtake afaics.

If cyclists had compulsory roadcraft education before being allowed on
the road, crashes like this one would be greatly reduced.

One assumes that you agree with taking the lane then?

I've never seen a cyclist stupid enough to take an entire lane. He'd
**** off every single driver trying to get past.

I was just about to say it was good to see everyone on urc agreeing, but...

Is a cyclist as wide as a car? No.
Should he take the same width of the road as a car? No.
100% of cyclists I've ever seen in my entire life stick to the left. This allows faster vehicles like cars to overtake them without having to wait for the opposite lane to be clear. It's common sense.
Why are the MINORITY of stupid cyclists all in this group? Every other cyclist just behaves politely and allows for the overtaking of faster vehicles.

--
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Old May 19th 17, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 19/05/2017 10:55, Nick wrote:
On 18/05/2017 20:50, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bod wrote:
This is the moment a London cyclist is sent flying when a driver opens
the door of his parked van without looking.

The dramatic pictures, captured by a dashboard camera in a following
car, show the risks of cyclists being "doored" by motorists failing to
check their mirrors.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3542066.html

The cyclist was too close to the van.
What is the road space that drivers are expected to give to these
cockroaches when overtaking?
This cockroach had plenty of road space but was too stupid to use it.

This is the correct answer.

Taking the lane would have protected the cyclist from the door and let
the van behind know it couldn't overtake.

Really? Cyclists should cycle at least an open door width from parked
cars? Is that from the highway code or something?

I'd have thought it'd annoy a fair few motorists . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Old May 19th 17, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Bod wrote:
[...]

So you condone motorists dangerously dooring cyclists then?
Old May 19th 17, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

On 19/05/2017 11:28, Nick wrote:
On 19/05/2017 11:15, MrCheerful wrote:

Taking the lane would have protected the cyclist from the door and let
the van behind know it couldn't overtake.

'car' not van.

Thank you for the correction, but I'm not sure what difference it makes.

as there is a van in one of the pictures it could confuse someone.

The camera car was not making any attempt to overtake afaics.

If cyclists had compulsory roadcraft education before being allowed on
the road, crashes like this one would be greatly reduced.

IMO (having received 'roadcraft' as a cyclist, motorcyclist and car
driver), you're wrong if you're saying that the cyclist is the casue of
the accident. The fault is in the first instance the van driver for poor
observation, and then the cam-carrying driver for not keeping at a safe
distance.

Of course, cyclists (and that cyclist) might cycle more defensively, on
the reasonable assumption that a motorist will occasionally open a door
into traffic without checking. Happens to me about once very 6 months.

But it's a rock and a hard place - between the aggression of drivers
reacting to defensive cyclists, and poor observation and low skill
catching out cyclists trying to avoid aggressive drivers. So it becomes
a game of risk. I tend to choose a route that cuts down on that risk -
adds about 20% distance to my commute.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old May 19th 17, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 19/05/2017 16:06, Nick wrote:
On 19/05/2017 12:44, MrCheerful wrote:

The camera car was not making any attempt to overtake afaics.

I'm not sure but it looked to me as if the car was closing on the
cyclist as if it were going to overtake. Given what happened we can see
why close overtakes are so dangerous.

If cyclists had compulsory roadcraft education before being allowed on
the road, crashes like this one would be greatly reduced.

Possibly but the danger clearly can from the van and the car. I feel it
is more their responsibility to avoid accidents than it is the cyclists.

If everyone used the roads defensively then crashes would reduce, that
has to include cyclists.

People make mistakes all the time, that will always happen, but as can
be seen in this incident, the cyclist would not have crashed if he had
been riding at a sensible distance from the side of the van. The
cyclist positioning had been chosen by the cyclist, better education in
roadcraft would have meant he made a better choice.

I information: the van has a door that may open.
P Position: Further away, would obviate the problem if the door is opened.
Old May 19th 17, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 19/05/2017 11:28, Nick wrote:
[...]

The cause of the accident is the van door being opened, but it could
have easily been avoided without any drama, IF the cyclist had kept a
safe distance from the van.

Doors being opened carelessly should not be a surprise to any road user,
including pedestrians.