Bondhus

Old May 19th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Bondhus

Today I got a set of Allen keys. Sizes are
1.27, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5., 4.5, 5.5 as well as all
integers from 2 to 10.

There is a ball at the shaft end which
according to the box makes it possible to apply
at an angle of 25°. Still not recommended, ey?

The shafts are much longer than those I'm used
to which of course gives more leverage and
sometimes better clearance, I reckon.

On the bikes I usually do there is seldom need
for any Allen keys except for the kickstand
which sometimes comes with an Allen bolt in the
middle. But not rarely is this a hex bolt like
everywhere else on the bike. However I have
understood that on modern bikes Allen bolts are
very prominent.

The brand, Bondhus, sounds like Swedish
(literally "Peasant House"), but I suppose this
is not the actual etymology.

It says "Made in the USA" proudly on several
places.

The set is 239 SEK ~($27, £21, or €24) which
here is not much for quality tools, still
I suspect the same kit to be cheaper in most
countries including the US.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old May 19th 17, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 7:41:43 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

If you have the type that have the nice plastic handles be careful of the smaller one's. You can overtorque and break the ball off quite easily.
Old May 19th 17, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 8:27:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

That is good to know. Those balls mess up the allen bolts when used properly, and worse yet, they ruin the hacksaw blade when you go to cut them off.
Old May 19th 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Doug Landau wrote:

That is good to know. Those balls mess up the
allen bolts when used properly, and worse
yet, they ruin the hacksaw blade when you go
to cut them off.

Ha! I'm happy to hear my intuition was correct.
I don't think I've seen a bike yet where I have
been unable to get to the bolt the good way.
Tho I think hex bolts are better in this
respect than Allen bolts because with
combination spanners, sockets, and swivel joint
wrenches they are almost always gripable
from somewhere.

Old May 20th 17, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 12:33:53 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Doug Landau wrote:

That is good to know. Those balls mess up the
allen bolts when used properly, and worse
yet, they ruin the hacksaw blade when you go
to cut them off.

Ha! I'm happy to hear my intuition was correct.
I don't think I've seen a bike yet where I have
been unable to get to the bolt the good way.
Tho I think hex bolts are better in this
respect than Allen bolts because with
combination spanners, sockets, and swivel joint
wrenches they are almost always gripable
from somewhere.

Huh? In my experience you don't need ball ends (even if you like them) on bikes as all the bolts are easy to get to.

Only problem is, if you don't bring a 3, your water bottle cage screws will come loose, and turn out to be threes.

Old May 21st 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

effective tool works AAA in awkward positions locates tool in bolt head....as place tool in bolthead then center

coat with thinned linseed dry in warm place....sun if any.

Old May 22nd 17, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
: There is a ball at the shaft end which
: according to the box makes it possible to apply
: at an angle of 25°. Still not recommended, ey?
:
: The shafts are much longer than those I'm used
: to which of course gives more leverage and
: sometimes better clearance, I reckon.
:
: On the bikes I usually do there is seldom need
: for any Allen keys except for the kickstand
: which sometimes comes with an Allen bolt in the
: middle. But not rarely is this a hex bolt like
: everywhere else on the bike. However I have
: understood that on modern bikes Allen bolts are
: very prominent.
:
: The brand, Bondhus, sounds like Swedish
: (literally "Peasant House"), but I suppose this
: is not the actual etymology.

It's the surname of the company founder.

:
: It says "Made in the USA" proudly on several
: places.
:
: The set is 239 SEK ~($27, £21, or €24) which
: here is not much for quality tools, still
: I suspect the same kit to be cheaper in most
: countries including the US.
:
: If you have the type that have the nice plastic handles be careful of the smaller one's. You can overtorque and break the ball off quite easily.

:That is good to know. Those balls mess up the allen bolts when used properly, and worse yet, they ruin the hacksaw blade when you go to cut them off.

If you don't like the ball end, don't buy them. They make plain hex
ones, as well. They're not much use on bikes, because you have good
access most of the time. A ball head wrench of good quality will
not damage a good fastener on installation, and shouldn't on removal
unless it's very stuck or overtoqued.

--
sig 23