best ways to decrease weight

Old August 31st 05, 05:54 AM

Default best ways to decrease weight

i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
(probably mostly used components).

i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
out at ...

thanks!

Old August 31st 05, 02:10 PM
RonSonic

On 30 Aug 2005 21:54:45 -0700, wrote:

i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
(probably mostly used components).

i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
out at ...

Here's the problem, it got to be "heavy" by an accumulation of many parts, each
of which weighs just a bit more than it might. Start taking parts off and
you'll see what I mean. Pull the wheels and what's left will feel pretty light.
Heft each wheel and it's not so heavy either. Except maybe the back with that
clump of steel cogs on the hub. Your $150 might be enough to buy a lighter one
of those. The best way to take five pounds off that bike is to find 80 places to
remove an ounce, because no one component, even the frame, is going to be a
whole pound overweight.

OTOH, I doubt it really is heavy, a modern cross country race bike for a full
size guy comes in around 25 pounds. Go weigh this thing, if it's under 30 it
ain't heavy.

If you really want to do something with this bike, get a better saddle,
seatpost, bars, and bar-ends so that it fits perfectly and you'll have these
cool parts you like that can go on yoiur future lightweight bike and the better
fit and comfort will help more than downweighting.

Ron
Old August 31st 05, 08:03 PM
Matt

snip some inexpensive changes to trim down
its rock-like weight. what would give me the
most bang for the buck? snip as far as what
inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this
for about $100-150

A big bowl of raisin bran each morning. It has reduced my bike+rider
weight by about 250g or so for a mere couple of dollars, which is about
100g/$--better than any Ti or carbon accesories.

;-)

Old August 31st 05, 09:34 PM
Marvin

wrote:
i have a specialized hard rock mt bike from way back in 1995, and would
like to make some inexpensive changes to trim down its rock-like
weight. what would give me the most bang for the buck? i do plan on
switching to slicks for city (and trainer) use. as far as what
inexpensive means ... i'm trying to do all this for about $100-150
(probably mostly used components).

i know i can spend a lot on titanium nuts and such, but i'm guessing i
can do a lot for a little considering how heavy this thing is starting
out at ...

TBH it's hardly worth playing weight-saving games with a ten year old
MTB, you'd be better off putting it towards a newer bike. The best way
to save weight is on the frame and it's certainly not worth swapping
everything to a new frame (which will run to way more than $150).

Likewise, all the really lightweight gear stuff these days will be 9sp
and therefore not compatible with your shifters. Replacing the
drivetrain will cost you a damn sight more than $150.

A lightweight set of wheels would help a lot, but then if you plan on
using it as an urban or offroad bike you want durability on the wheels.
Plus even a decent lightweight set of wheels will cost more than $150.

Bottom line is that saving weight is a hobby for those with money to
burn.

As I see it, you've got two options. One is to look around and
steadily upgrade any and all bits of the bike as you find secondhand
stuff. Two is to splash out plenty on some decent-quality lightweight
slicks and spend the rest of your money on CDs or something. The Foo
Fighters are quite good to stomp along to.

Old August 31st 05, 10:19 PM
wle

don;t carry any water. 2 lbs saved..

wle.

Old September 1st 05, 02:20 AM

thanks for all the responses ... and very interesting to see the
variety of opinions. to give you a little more background, i'm
reasonably experienced with bikes ... but mostly fixed gear converted
road bikes, not big clunky mountain bikes. i have a fixed gear built
on an old steel bianchi frame ... $200 total weighing in at 19 pounds
.... so those of you who said it can't be done, think again.

my question though is for someone who i've determined would do better
with a geared mountain-type bike for urban "workout" riding. the
person who said not everyone can lose so much weight was very astute
.... this is for a small asian female, so the point is to reduce the
bikes weight so she can carry it upstairs, and so the thing isn't out
of proportion to her size.

i think from reading the suggestions, these are the best tips i've
combined:

- remove crap (water cage, etc) ... same kind of thing i did on my
fixie, which has one brake ... although she (novice) will need both
- slicks and possibly new wheels
- lighter cogs
- i already cut the bars down to the right width, so that's some weight
there
- lighter seat

thanks again

top ways to decrease weight [email protected] General 5 September 1st 05 02:25 AM
Too much weight on my hands? Ron Engels Techniques 66 July 29th 05 02:22 AM
A weight loss plan that works for average cyclists? Preston Crawford General 125 January 2nd 05 01:05 AM
Cheapo bike Steve L UK 204 December 5th 04 04:42 PM
Low Impact ways to build leg muscle mass? Mike Beauchamp General 24 November 5th 03 09:55 PM