Problems with Mavic SUP rims?

Old August 6th 12, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Problems with Mavic SUP rims?

On Monday, 12 August 1996 08:00:00 UTC+1, D Thomas wrote:
Has anyone else been having problems with bad welds on Mavic SUP rims? I

I built a matched pair of new wheels with Shimano XT and Mavic EN321 rims. Later, some time after I'd been riding them as hard as I dared down sharp flint strewn slopes on the Ridgeway, I found that the weld on the front rim only goes almost half way around the rim. Shudder to think of the injuries I'd have suffered if the damn thing had come apart on the Ridgeway.

A couple of days ago I got a replacement from a different source and that one also has an incomplete weld. You can hold it up to a window and see light shining through the gap where the weld is absent.

Unlike in the song, 2/3 is definitely bad.

I really like the design of the rims but personally I'll never buy another Mavic product again and recommend anybody else to avoid them.
Old August 8th 12, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On Aug 6, 8:59*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:12:04 -0700 (PDT)
the perfect time to write:

On Monday, 12 August 1996 08:00:00 UTC+1, D Thomas *wrote:
Has anyone else been having problems with bad welds on Mavic SUP rims? I

I built a matched pair of new wheels with Shimano XT and Mavic EN321 rims. Later, some time after I'd been riding them as hard as I dared down sharp flint strewn slopes on the Ridgeway, I found that the weld on the front rim only goes almost half way around the rim. Shudder to think of the injuries I'd have suffered if the damn thing had come apart on the Ridgeway.

Isn't the EN321 supposed to be a pinned rim? *http://www.mavic.com/en/product/rims...ms/EN-321-Disc
says it is, and they should know.
So the weld (even if there is one) is only cosmetic, and once it's
built into a wheel, the join isn't going anywhere.
Can you explain exactly /how/ a pinned rim is going to come apart once
built into a wheel?

It's not that the joint comes apart, but they do flex and those joints
that do as evidenced by tell-tale foil stickers which form a ridge in
line with the joint are a point of weakness in the rim.

A couple of days ago I got a replacement from a different source and that one also has an incomplete weld. You can hold it up to a window and see light shining through the gap where the weld is absent.

I wouldn't expect weld in a pinned rim.

If the weld is over the top of the rim then it corrects the deficiency
which is evident in sleeved jointed rims.

Once it's built, the joint is in compression, and any daylight should
disappear, but I wouldn't worry if it doesn't, as long as the wheel
builds true and stays that way.

When the wheel is ridden the rim flexes. If it did not do so then one
may as well use atrispoke for aerodynamic advantage. As most riders
are not on boarded veledromes the flexible rim will continue its reign
on regular bicycles.

Unlike in the song, 2/3 is definitely bad.

I really like the design of the rims but personally I'll never buy another Mavic product again and recommend anybody else to avoid them.

Seems like you need to learn a bit about the product, before unfairly
criticising it.

As the rim is constrained by wire spokes the only load which needs
checking at the joint is that of force towards the hub, a weld only
across the top of the rim is adequate and does not interfere with the
braking track. Its a nice touch, I'm glad they've taken the
information on board.