Any home made designs for map boards

Old March 29th 07, 04:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Default Any home made designs for map boards

I was thinking of having a crack at some MTB orienteering over winter

http://www.vicorienteering.asn.au/mtbo/index.htm

Apart from a bike I also need a mapboard. The commercial ones cost mroe
than $100 which seems ridiculous for what they are. Given the number of
spare clamps and crap in my shed I figure I could put something together
for nothing. has anyone out there had a go at this. Any tips?

DaveB
Old March 29th 07, 06:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Darryl C

In article ,
DaveB wrote:

I was thinking of having a crack at some MTB orienteering over winter

http://www.vicorienteering.asn.au/mtbo/index.htm

Apart from a bike I also need a mapboard. The commercial ones cost mroe
than $100 which seems ridiculous for what they are. Given the number of
spare clamps and crap in my shed I figure I could put something together
for nothing. has anyone out there had a go at this. Any tips?

DaveB

Have a look at these for a couple of ideas:
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_1066.JPG
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_0933.JPG

cheers,
Darryl
Old March 29th 07, 07:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Darryl C wrote:

Have a look at these for a couple of ideas:
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_1066.JPG
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_0933.JPG

Where did the alu brackets come from? They look much better than the
hose clamps I was looking at in the shed.

DaveB
Old March 29th 07, 08:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 29, 4:09 pm, DaveB wrote:
Darryl C wrote:

Have a look at these for a couple of ideas:
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_1066.JPG
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_0933.JPG

Where did the alu brackets come from? They look much better than the
hose clamps I was looking at in the shed.

DaveB

BTW the speedo is against the rules. That set-up would be cheating in
an event.

Donga

Old March 29th 07, 08:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Parbs

Donga wrote:

BTW the speedo is against the rules. That set-up would be cheating in
an event.

Are you sure? I think you'll find that approved cycling computers are
allowed. See section 15.4

http://www.orienteering.asn.au/admin...Guidelines.pdf

Parbs
Old March 29th 07, 10:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 29, 5:58 pm, Parbs wrote:
Donga wrote:

BTW the speedo is against the rules. That set-up would be cheating in
an event.

Are you sure? I think you'll find that approved cycling computers are
allowed. See section 15.4

http://www.orienteering.asn.au/admin.../gfolder/opman...

Parbs

Meh, looks like I got dudded! I recalled they were banned in a couple
of MTBO events but must be wrong, then more recently I am positive
they were banned for MTB rogaining.

Donga

Old March 29th 07, 10:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Parbs

Donga wrote:

Meh, looks like I got dudded! I recalled they were banned in a couple
of MTBO events but must be wrong, then more recently I am positive
they were banned for MTB rogaining.

Yup, Rogaines are run under different rules.

Parbs
Old March 29th 07, 02:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Signorini

"DaveB" wrote in message
Darryl C wrote:

Have a look at these for a couple of ideas:
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_1066.JPG
http://www.windchill.com.au/images/IMG_0933.JPG

Where did the alu brackets come from? They look much better than the hose
clamps I was looking at in the shed.

These mapboards are commercially made by a MTBO rider Ralph Koch with a bit
of engineering skill. You can buy one from him for about $80, a bit less
than your troubling $100. I bought one from him, he even tailor made it to
fit my slightly wider stem extension.

http://www.windchill.com.au/Mapholder.htm

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old April 5th 07, 12:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle
slaw[_2_]

I've made a few boards. My latest uses a clipboard mounted to my bar
ends using a pair of rail clamps from a marine supply shop (Elizabeth
St in Melb). These were about $9 a pair and are useful for mounting
lights to the handlebars and for pannier rack attachments. I use zip
ties to tie the clipboard to the handlebars.

To secure the map on the board I use a length of shock cord looped over
the board and around the stem, and/or a bulldog clip depending on the
size of the map.

Must get some photos, next time I mount it on, hopefully for this
event:
http://www.mapsport.net.au/

Here's some links for other ideas:

http://www.mintcakemtb.co.uk/bikinga...mapboards.html
http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=840
http://tinyurl.com/yrogmq=
http://www.adventureracingzone.com/f...opic.php?t=340

The last I heard, speedos are banned from cyclogaines, but allowed in
MTBO and Polaris events.

--
slaw

home made bc wheel primus Unicycling 3 February 1st 08 12:04 AM
home made gel saddle.... James_Potter Unicycling 29 March 15th 06 11:53 PM
Home-made BC Spudman Unicycling 8 September 7th 05 01:55 PM
Home made truing stand designs Doug Goncz Techniques 7 January 22nd 04 03:49 PM
home made uni booger1 Unicycling 0 July 11th 03 04:09 AM