one way STI

Old February 11th 08, 08:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

Default one way STI

My rear STI lever has suddely decided not to change down (bigger cog).
What's more, the lever has no resistance what so ever.
I'm on the 14 which is liveable, if I don't forget and shift up.
Any ideas?

Andre

Old February 12th 08, 03:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Feb 11, 5:41 pm, Aeek wrote:
My rear STI lever has suddely decided not to change down (bigger cog).
What's more, the lever has no resistance what so ever.
I'm on the 14 which is liveable, if I don't forget and shift up.
Any ideas?

Andre

Hopefully it is minor, but STI levers are prone to wearing out and
there are many threads about them on aus.bicycle and
rec.bicycles.tech, which you can search. The common advice is you can
often get some (but not much) extra time out of the lever by flushing
it with a can of WD40/RP7, otherwise order a new set. It might be a
good time to look for specials on a new gruppo.

As to your new singlespeed, you could always make the conversion!
Maybe loosen off the cable, lift the chain to your preferred cog and
re-fasten the cable.

Donga