precleaning new chains?

Old October 29th 04, 01:47 AM
Boatman

Default precleaning new chains?

Does anyone clean the wax or whatever off new chains before installing them?
What is that stuff?

Boatman

Old October 29th 04, 02:34 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Boatman wrote:
Does anyone clean the wax or whatever off new chains before
installing them?

Some do; some don't.

Bill "HTH, YMMV, IMO" S.

Old October 29th 04, 03:46 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

Boatman wrote:
Does anyone clean the wax or whatever off new chains before
installing them? What is that stuff?

Boatman

It's the factory grease, and it's good stuff. You don't need to clean it.

Old October 29th 04, 04:54 AM
Boatman

Jacobe Hazzard wrote:

It's the factory grease, and it's good stuff. You don't need to clean
it.

I like to keep my chain clean and fairly grease free... at least on the
outside of the chain. The problem is that it's hard to just clean the
outside. I might take a little Simple Green on a cloth to it.

Boatman

Old October 29th 04, 05:13 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

Boatman wrote:
Jacobe Hazzard wrote:

It's the factory grease, and it's good stuff. You don't need to clean
it.

I like to keep my chain clean and fairly grease free... at least on
the outside of the chain. The problem is that it's hard to just clean
the outside. I might take a little Simple Green on a cloth to it.

Boatman

It would be best to run the chain backwards and gently rub off excess
grease with a clean rag. If simple green is a degreaser of some sort, then
it's probably best to keep it out of the chain, or you may lose grease
from where it protects and lubricates.

Old October 29th 04, 05:25 AM
dorkpants

Jacobe Hazzard Wrote:
Boatman wrote:
Does anyone clean the wax or whatever off new chains before
installing them? What is that stuff?

Boatman

It's the factory grease, and it's good stuff. You don't need to clean
it.

it's actually a thick rust inhibitor for long term
storage... should definitely be removed and lubed with a quality lube
before use, otherwise the stickiness of the inhibitor will result in a
dirty and clogged chain in no time.

--
dorkpants

Old October 29th 04, 05:31 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

dorkpants wrote:

confused: it's actually a thick rust inhibitor for long term

storage... should definitely be removed and lubed with a quality lube
before use, otherwise the stickiness of the inhibitor will result in a
dirty and clogged chain in no time.

I contend that you are WRONG.

Old October 29th 04, 05:52 AM
Leo Lichtman

Jacobe Hazzard and Dorkpants disagreed
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It seems to me if the manufacturers used preservatives that look like
grease, but which need to be cleaned off to insure good chain life, the
chains would come with instructions that say that.

Old October 29th 04, 06:33 AM
Cheto

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Jacobe Hazzard and Dorkpants disagreed
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It seems to me if the manufacturers used preservatives that look like
grease, but which need to be cleaned off to insure good chain life, the
chains would come with instructions that say that.

Clearly, you should slap your mammy down, slap your mammy down again. No
instructions needed.

Are we not men? We are Cheto.

Old October 29th 04, 06:45 AM
Super Slinky

Boatman says...

Does anyone clean the wax or whatever off new chains before installing them?
What is that stuff?

Boatman

No, don't clean it. Wipe the outside as best you can and use it.