AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old April 30th 18, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default If you can't miss it, hit it square.

I forgot to write anything this week, so have a one-line filler from
the Bikeabout:

If you can't miss it, hit it square.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

(If you can't have a post, at least have a biiig sig.)

Old May 6th 18, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Back in the saddle again

On Mayday, I rode to the grocery and back, and on the Cinco de Mayo,
the farmers' markets were open for the first time this spring.

The craft fair and both farmer's markets were sort of disappointing,
more me than them, I think, and I forgot to check Central Park
Pavilion for activity, but I made the usual stops at Sherman & Lin's
and International Foods on the way home.

Bought a parsley plant at Sherman & Lin's, and planted it before I
unloaded my panniers. They also had basil, but I'm holding out for
cinnamon or purple or something. Still no sign of volunteer marigolds
in the elevated herb bed.

Had to empty my panniers because of a catch failure, and didn't put
anything back except the bag of bags. No need to insulate or carry
ice, I thought -- the chocolate-coated saltines I bought at the
downtown farmer's markets stuck together on the way home. When
planning my route back, I realized that I didn't have my map. And
when I bought a can of grapefruit juice, I realized that the only
bungees aboard were the one that is holding my broken pannier together
and the one that I wound around the top wire of the other pannier last
summer so it wouldn't scratch the polished marble of the city hall.
(The City Hall used to be a bank. Someday I'm going to go downtown
during business hours and ask what they did with the vault.)

The catch broke off the pannier so neatly that it took me quite a
while to figure out what had happened. I discussed possibilities with
my spouse, and have settled on sewing it back together with
stainless-steel wire. I have never folded the panniers, so it doesn't
matter that the attachment will be permanent. Indeed, I was surprised
that the reflector bolted through the joint didn't inhibit folding,
once I'd pulled all the insulation out. Since the insulation retained
the contents, it took me a while to notice that the bottom had fallen
out. Which led to a bungee-based repair in front of Kroger last
Tuesday.

My first thought was to wind the wire where the catch was, my second
thought was securing the full length of the side, then I thought it
would be a good idea to also wire both ends, now I'm thinking that
I'll cut the wire to the length I think I need and start with the
middle of the wire in the middle of the side. And then I'll also wire
the other pannier -- if the bottom fell out of that one, everything
*would* fall out.

It would be simpler to buy new panniers, but I'd have to go all the
way to Nappanee, and I'm not 100% sure the bike shop is still there,
let alone sure that it still sells wire panniers. And they had mesh
bottoms; I prefer wire.

Now that I'm riding again (knock wood), I may have something to say
next week.

(Feels like my fifteenth re-start of the season, but there hasn't been
time for that many: May is only the fifth month, and my first
re-start was in January.)

--
Joy Beeson

Old May 6th 18, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Crying shame that I can't correct typos after clicking "send".

I was kinder sleepy when I wrote yesterday's post, as you can tell by
the verbosity. Now it's past time for my nap . . . look out!

I carried the first ice bag of the season today -- on my pedal-powered
wheelchair. (AKA "Trek Pure".) We had lunch at church, and afterward
I filled a sandwich bag with leftovers, and another with ice so that I
could take the long way home.

On the Heritage Trail, I noticed a redbud tree, and decided to make a
side trip to Mrs. Miller's field -- not to be confused with Miller
Field, which I was about to pass when I saw the redbud.

I saw many fine displays of redbuds both before and after visiting the
redbud avenue that leads to the field, but none quite so splashy as
the view that greets you after turning around in the field to come
back out.

And now I glance out the window and see that my crab-apple tree is in
bloom, and behind it the red maple is maxed out.

--
Joy Beeson

Old May 13th 18, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Do as I say, not as I do.

Now that I'm back in the saddle, I'm getting ideas for posts. This
one is only half an idea, because I'm sure I've said this before, but
it bears repeating:

Never touch a brake lever without putting your other hand on the other
lever.

Once established, the habit of one-handed braking is impossible to
break. You can conscientiously brake properly dozens of times a day
for months, and the first time your attention wavers, you'll be
reaching for one brake with your habitual hand.

And exactly when do you brake without paying any attention to your
technique? When your life depends on stopping RIGHT NOW.

So make sure that your unconscious technique is the one you want to
use in an emergency.

--
Joy Beeson