I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

Old April 1st 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

Default I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" writes:
From an environmental standpoint, is it better to ride your bike to the
store, eat a banana, and ride home, or to carry the banana home and then eat
it? ;-)

As long as the peel is retained (and the banana
is duly paid for.) It might be amusing to try to
purchase a single banana.

Rose bushes seem to like a mixture of shredded banana
peels and crushed eggshells dug in around them.

But I think it's okay to ride to the Dairy Queen for
a banana split, and let DQ deal with the peel while
we deal with the calories. The crows will probably
pick it (the banana peel) out of the dumpster behind
the building anyways. Crows gotta live, too.

Personally I'm no afficionado of oily fruits like
bananas and avocados. Except for olives. Olives
are lovely. I confess to being an olive addict.
Queens, manzanillas, kalamatas &c -- they're all good.

I dunno how many miles one should expect per olive.

I get about 25 km per 1-cup serving of quick-cooking
Quaker[tm] oats. And oatmeal doesn't go through me
like prune juice through a goose, like too many
bananas do.

I think I derive more enjoyment from a decadent
banana split than from some hippie-swill, laxative
smoothie.

Other people's tastes & preferences may vary,
and I maintain no contention with that.

Whatever turns our cranks.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old April 1st 09, 02:30 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Dylan Smith

On 2009-03-25, wrote:
actual testing procedure without paying for it. I am highly skeptical
that a gasoline automobile motor could last 15 minutes on a dyno at
full power where as it quite well established that a commercial diesel
motor can do this for hours even days on end...

Car engines aren't nearly as fragile as you make out. I'd be willing to
bet that the Honda engine can put out full rated power for hours on end
quite happily.

Good examples of car engine power output can be found from the kit-built
aviation scene, where car engines are sometimes used (most usually
Subaru, due to the form factor). Engines in light aircraft are typically
only run at three power settings - idle or near idle on the ground, wide
open throttle for takeoff (with a constant speed prop, making full rated
power), and 75% power in cruise (contrast with car use, where cruise is
usually about 30% of rated power). The usual procedure for making an
automotive engine ready for a light plane is typically done to the
ignition system (switching to dual redundant ignition systems) not the
structure of the engine.

At our glider club we have a winch powered by a 4.2 litre inline six
cylinder Jaguar engine. It lives in an extremely punishing regime -
idling for a few minutes then wide open throttle to launch the glider,
then back to idling. The engine wasn't new when we got it, either -
already it had over 100,000 miles on it - yet we've never had it blow up
after thousands of cycles of idle/full throttle/idle operation. This is
a double overhead cam engine with an aluminium head.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old April 1st 09, 05:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.rec.cycling.]
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Tom Keats wrote:

As long as the peel is retained (and the banana
is duly paid for.) It might be amusing to try to
purchase a single banana.

Why?

I admit I mostly purchase bananas in pairs (since I go to the shop
alternate days) but I reasonably often buy a single banana, and I've
never found it any more amusing than buying in larger quantities.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old April 4th 09, 04:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_3_]

aka Jon Isaacs wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:46 am, Opus wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:48 am, " wrote:

snip
- Those Honda Horses, they pretty much in someones head, ask that
motor to actually put out 160hp for a moment, oh one probably did it
for a moment or two on a test stand somewhere before it exploded.
Those Caterpillar Horses, they are right there and real... The run in
for a Cummins diesel used to be an hour on a Dyno... The spec was
that if the engine had to produce at least 96% of the rated power for
15 minutes, otherwise it needed fixin'...
Oh well...
Jon

The Honda and the Cat are both rated by the same SAE protocol for the
exact same period of time, as required by US law.

Opus

I looked around and saw a lot of pages touting "certified SAE
Horsepower" but I did not find anything that actually stated the
actual testing procedure without paying for it. I am highly skeptical
that a gasoline automobile motor could last 15 minutes on a dyno at
full power where as it quite well established that a commercial diesel
motor can do this for hours even days on end...

These gasoline motors easily last for a season of showroom stock
endurance racing. 24 hours of mostly full throttle, except when braking
for the corners during one race.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old April 4th 09, 07:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Chalo

Leo Lichtman wrote:

wrote:

correctly so that it could maintain maximum rpm and maximum HP (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a little nit: *Maximum HP does not occur at maximum RPM. *Since HP is
the product of RPM x torque, and since torque peaks somewhere below max RPM,
the HP curve peaks somewhere between the two.

That depends on the power curve of the engine in question; in the
motorcycle world, there are plenty of engines that make peak power at
redline.

Chalo

Old April 5th 09, 02:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Peter Cole wrote:

I had a VW Rabbit(Golf) that I used to run flat out (100 mph) for
hours at a time.

Is your maiden name "Baka" by any chance?