Multi Sport Waterproofs

Old July 4th 04, 09:18 AM
[Not Responding]

Default Multi Sport Waterproofs

Unseasonal, maybe. Or, glancing out of the window, maybe not.

I need to buy some waterproofs to replace the ones that fell victim to
a pretty nurse undressing me with the aid of a pair of scissors.

What I had then was a Sprayway mountaineering jacket that I used for
climbing, cycling and sailing and a pair of Altura overtrousers.

I'd get the Alturas again but I'm a bit stuck on waterproof jackets. I
liked the mountain jacket because it was long enough to be worn over a
suit jacket.

Ideally, I'll go out and replace it with another similar model. My
query is aimed at those of us here who manage to fit a bit of sailing
between our hours in the saddle; are Goretex mountain jackets up to
the job at sea? Someone told me the salt clogs up the Goretex pores
and someone else said I was "taking a risk" not spending £400 on the
latest yachting kit. Both comments sound like cobblers to me.

The reason I'm not keen on using a sailing jacket for cycling is that
sailing stuff all seems incredibly bulky. I could roll and compress my
Sprayway into the bottom of a pannier in a manner I don't think I
could achieve with most of the sailing-specific equivilents I've seen.

If the weather perks up there's a slim chance I might try my first
commute next week.
Old July 4th 04, 11:08 AM
JBB

"[Not Responding]" wrote in message
[...]

Early Goretex used to suffer from salt blocking the pores; the stuff used in
sailing jackets now works fine (personal experience of Henri Lloyd kit). I
believe it to be "normal" Goretex although there seem to be all sorts of
stuff in use now which purports to do the job. If I were looking for a new
multipurpose jacket I'd start with Gill as they started out doing just
sailing kit .

HTH

Julia

Old July 4th 04, 11:34 AM
Peter Clinch

[Not Responding] wrote:

Ideally, I'll go out and replace it with another similar model. My
query is aimed at those of us here who manage to fit a bit of sailing
between our hours in the saddle; are Goretex mountain jackets up to
the job at sea? Someone told me the salt clogs up the Goretex pores
and someone else said I was "taking a risk" not spending =A3400 on the
latest yachting kit. Both comments sound like cobblers to me.

The "taking a risk" is a lot of poop: people have been sailing since a=20
few thousand years BG (Before Goretex) and a lot of them lived to tell=20
the tale.
The salt clogging the pores business is easily remedied by hosing it off =

after you use it and wash it every now and then.

The reason I'm not keen on using a sailing jacket for cycling is that
sailing stuff all seems incredibly bulky. I could roll and compress my
Sprayway into the bottom of a pannier in a manner I don't think I
could achieve with most of the sailing-specific equivalents I've seen.

OTOH sailing gear should have better seals as it's designed for being=20
hit by walls of water rather than mere rain. You won't be /as/=20
comfortable if waves hit you in a mountaineering jacket compared to a=20
sailing jacket, but there again you've managed in a mountain jacket thus =

far and if you think that was okay then it will continue to be. The=20
weather isn't being upgraded to cope with new jackets, AFAIK.

However, for cycling note that a good cycling waterproof is generally=20
lighter than either ocean or mountain gear. Keeping it light means it's =

more breathable, which is very useful, and freedom of pedalling is=20
generally better. I'd use my light mountain jacket for cycling, but=20
probably not my heavy one (I used to, and it works, but my cycling one=20
is just better for the job).
Not been sailing for a while, but I do go sea kayaking and I'd probably=20
take my paddling cag sailing because the neck and wrist seals keep out=20
serious water where the mountain ones don't. Designed for purpose=20
generally does mean better, but better as in more comfort and ability to =

let you get on with the activity without calling undue attention to=20
itself more than better as in you're "taking a risk" without it. You=20
can go places sailing where a sailing suit will make the difference=20
between hypothermia and merely a bloody miserable time, but most people=20
don't sail in those places!

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Old July 4th 04, 05:57 PM
gavin

[...]

I had a similar problem as my main leisure pursuits are hill walking,
cycling and yachting. I found that the hill walking goretex jacket worked
well for most activities but does not really cut it in the middle of winter
when waves and rain are lashing the deck. After a particularly wet trip on
the Clyde last winter, I bought some reasonable Gill sailing gear. I find
it heavier and warmer than my hill walking goretex which is essentially a
waterproof outer jacket and therefore I regard my Gill suit as useful only
for sailing or for standing outside in the rain doing not a lot of physical
activity.

However, I have still not got a "cycling" waterproof and still use my hill
walking one for both walking and cycling. It seems to cover well for the
'sweaty' pursuits. In time, when money allows I will buy myself a nice
goretex cycling top.

In summary, and in my opinion, a hill walking jacket will suffice but like
all compromises it is still a compromise and there will be times when you
wished for a better sailing suit or a better cycling top. But cycling and
walking are more comparable than sailing.

Gavin

Old July 4th 04, 07:51 PM
[Not Responding]

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:57:22 GMT, "gavin"
wrote:

In summary, and in my opinion, a hill walking jacket will suffice but like
all compromises it is still a compromise and there will be times when you
wished for a better sailing suit or a better cycling top. But cycling and
walking are more comparable than sailing.

I think the gist of posters is that I can continue to get away with my
minimalist sporting wardrobe; providing I don't get taken by the urge
for a winter transatlantic.

As 95% of my sailing hours are within the confines of the Solent I'm
hardly pushing the maritime envelope. I used to do a fair bit of
seagoing time just off South Wales and compared to that, I have yet to
come across anything resembling a wave between Portsmouth Harbour and
Beaulieu.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old July 4th 04, 11:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , [Not
Responding] ') wrote:

[...]

Salt crystals are significantly bigger than water vapour molecules.
Drying salt water on a goretex jacket opens up the pores because salt
crystalises in them, ruining the waterproofing.

My sailing foulweather gear would be completely impossible either to
cycle in or to walk up a hill in, because it isn't breathable and is
pretty heavy, but it does the job and lives on the boat. OTOH, not only
will salt water ruin cycling or mountaineering rainwear, cycling and
and mountaineering rainwear is not even nearly going to protect you
when you're taking white water across the deck.

I'm fed up with Life 1.0. I never liked it much and now it's getting
me down. I think I'll upgrade to MSLife 97 -- you know, the one that
comes in a flash new box and within weeks you're crawling with bugs.

Old July 5th 04, 08:46 AM
Peter Clinch

Simon Brooke wrote:

OTOH, not only
will salt water ruin cycling or mountaineering rainwear

Is there actually anything it /doesn't/ ruin (apart from seafood!)?

Pete.

Old July 5th 04, 03:08 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Peter Clinch
') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

OTOH, not only
will salt water ruin cycling or mountaineering rainwear

Is there actually anything it /doesn't/ ruin (apart from seafood!)?

[Looks around boat, sees nothing even remotely ruined]

Ermm, yes. Rather a lot of things, actually.

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards
Old July 5th 04, 03:55 PM
Peter Clinch

Simon Brooke wrote:

[Looks around boat, sees nothing even remotely ruined]

Ermm, yes. Rather a lot of things, actually.

That must be why everyone's so happy to leave their boats in the sea
across the winter then?

We always make a point of washing the sea kayaks down after every run so
things like towing cleats actually work, skeg and rudder cables don't
corrode, etc. etc. It can be kept at bay with care and feeding, but
AFAICT it does indeed bugger up everything if left to its own devices.

Pete.

Old July 6th 04, 01:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Peter Clinch
') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

[Looks around boat, sees nothing even remotely ruined]

Ermm, yes. Rather a lot of things, actually.

That must be why everyone's so happy to leave their boats in the sea
across the winter then?

Mine is, twelve months of the year. It doesn't seem worth the hassle of
pulling her out. I'm not alone; there are no spare places left on our
marina for next winter.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee