MTB v Road Bike

Old July 30th 04, 05:49 AM
Roger

Default MTB v Road Bike

Dear NG, I want to get into serious cycling, mainly from a fitness point of
veiw.
Can someone tell me what the advantages are from a MTB to a Road Bike.
What should I buy.

Whats the big diffrences between the 2 bikes, and can I get something decent
for around $1000.

Thansk for your advice,
Roger

Old July 30th 04, 08:05 AM
Marx SS

MTB? I get such an adreniline rush with the more technical (tricky)
going. With drop-offs, logs & really tight going, you really are
pumping away at those pedals on such a buzz without realising how weary
your legs are gettting.

My limited exp with road going is that you can train yourself to
set/acheive goals. Those hard climbs can be sole destroying sometimes.
Watching some of the Tour De France was a glimpse of that.

I'm a rank amature, ride a MTB (Hardtail Avanti Aggressor 2003
$1800approx ??), I fit it with semislicks & do road runs (Vic: Around
the bay ride etc) with mates too as well as offroad, single track cross
country stuff. Haven't raced XC MTB yet but any week now I'll enter
something (just workin' on the engine at the moment).

--
Marx SS

Old July 30th 04, 08:31 AM
Terry Collins

Roger wrote:

Dear NG, I want to get into serious cycling, mainly from a fitness point of
veiw.

Where?, How? With who?

Can someone tell me what the advantages are from a MTB to a Road Bike.

If you want to go out riding with a bunch of blokes for a few hours at a
time and go fast, then buy a road bike, because that is probably what
they will have.

If you like to go down bush tracks/gravel roads or other places with
rough surfaces and generally prefer to ride alone, then a hard tail MTB.

You can hybrid, e.g a basic road bike that has good clearance should
allow you to put on a slightly meatier tyres and rims. This would
suffice if you are light for gravel roads/bush tracks, or have rough
surfaces on your commute.

What should I buy.

Send me the $1,000 and I'll tell you what I would buy {:-)

Whats the big diffrences between the 2 bikes, and can I get something decent
for around $1000.

Yes.
Old July 31st 04, 11:23 AM
Mike

Roger wrote:
Dear NG, I want to get into serious cycling, mainly from a fitness point of
veiw.
Can someone tell me what the advantages are from a MTB to a Road Bike.
What should I buy.

A road bike is faster. Good for racing. Better for a long commute.
The MTB is more comfortable, and more fun. Not so slow if set up properly.

Whats the big diffrences between the 2 bikes, and can I get something decent
for around $1000.

That'll get you a good hard-tail MTB, or a basic road bike.

Thansk for your advice,
Roger

Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 2 June 3rd 04 03:01 AM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM