where do taxes go?

Old July 13th 13, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default where do taxes go?

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:50:40 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:46:41 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Uh, that was _your_ money:

"funded by a $203,000 federal grant..."

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

- Frank Krygowski

Not sure Frank. How did you learn to ride a bicycle?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 13th 13, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, July 12, 2013 9:12:19 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:50:40 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

- Frank Krygowski

Not sure Frank. How did you learn to ride a bicycle?

Oh, I got the usual treatment of the 1950s: Training wheels, then Dad running along beside me, then the miracle of balancing. That was all the training, except "watch out for cars."

I can recall my teenage years, biking every day for transportation and recreation with three friends, with two of us claiming you're supposed to ride with traffic, the other two claiming you're supposed to ride facing traffic.. Splitting the pack must have been interesting for motorists.

I started really learning about cycling in 1970 or so. By then, college had taught me the value of reading, and how to learn things from books.

My first course or seminar on proper cycling was 1978, IIRC. By then, I'd begun amassing a library on bicycling.

Of course, most people on bikes don't make it to my 1970 stage. In fact, most people don't believe there's anything to learn. :-/

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 13th 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 07-12-2013 21:09, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

It should be _available_ to them--and it already is.

They should not be coerced to receive it--but should their ignorance
result in injury or harassment of someone else, the consequences should
be significant.

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable.
Liberals need to learn that “inevitable" is not a synonym for “good."
Conservatives should learn that “inevitable" is not a synonym for “bad.”

Old July 13th 13, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Friday, July 12, 2013 9:12:19 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:50:40 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

Not sure Frank. How did you learn to ride a bicycle?

Oh, I got the usual treatment of the 1950s: Training wheels, then Dad running along beside me, then the miracle of balancing. That was all the training, except "watch out for cars."

No training wheels for me in the 60's. Dad ran along behind
for ten or fifteen yards one time. That was it. The rest is
history.

I can recall my teenage years, biking every day for transportation and recreation with three friends, with two of us claiming you're supposed to ride with traffic, the other two claiming you're supposed to ride facing traffic. Splitting the pack must have been interesting for motorists.

Still is. Always will be. Nobody should expect kids to be
with the program. Nobody should assume 100% that anyone of
any age won't act like a kid.

In fact that "split pack" is a more natural scenario. I'd be
a little concerned that something weird was going on if the
pack of kids on bikes were executing flawless concerted VC.

I started really learning about cycling in 1970 or so.

Ah, so "really learning about cycling" is some advanced thing.
I'm still trying to understand what, exactly, "cycling" is as
opposed to just riding a bike.

By then, college had taught me the value of reading, and how to learn things from books.

So is "cycling" the higher education form of riding a bike?
(I notice that before college you were merely "biking".)

My first course or seminar on proper cycling was 1978, IIRC. By then, I'd begun amassing a library on bicycling.

'78 was my first season of AMA Pro racing. By then I had a
season championship under my belt as an amateur, and was
finishing in the money every week as a semi-pro.

In '76 or '77 I got my picture in Popular Cycling. Not
because I was anything special - they just happened to be
at the same track I was that night; but I *did* win the
race that they photographed, and - speaking of "education" ;-)
- got to kiss the trophy girl :-)

In '75 I built my first monoshock rear suspension BMX bike -
in the Junior High School metal shop. The instructor took
one look at the drawing and said it wouldn't work, but he
was already giving me the run of the shop and left me to
it. In the Spring he rode it around behind the shop with
a big smile on his face.

This is where I got the idea:

http://www.mxworksbike.com/1973%20yz250.htm

.... the factory Yamaha, not the web site, obviously.)

In fall or winter of '74 I saw a monoshock production model
on a Yamaha shop floor, and almost immediately began to think
about taking a hacksaw and torch to my bicycle.

Of course, most people on bikes don't make it to my 1970 stage. In fact, most people don't believe there's anything to learn. :-/

If that's true then you've got a tough row to hoe, professor.
Old July 13th 13, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:55:30 AM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:

aw Frank...training wheels ?

Yes, they were considered a good idea back then. Nowadays, a lot of people consider them actively counterproductive. My kids learned without them.

your assumed position cycling isnot dangerous supports the sponge consumer cyclist class. An overview of the cyclist/motorist topography also supports your position that in the current reality not 'knowing' bears little on injury stats.

Not sure what you mean by that, Gene.

One of my positions is that, even with the incompetence of most American cyclists, the overall national data shows cycling to be quite safe.

But another of my positions is that if people learned even some simple, basic behaviors, cycling's safety would increase greatly.

Can you imagine a society in which a large percentage of motorists didn't know which side of the road they were supposed to use? Can you imagine that in such a society, there would be no efforts to fix that problem?

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 13th 13, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, July 12, 2013 12:50:40 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2013 10:46:41 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Uh, that was _your_ money:

"funded by a $203,000 federal grant..."

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

- Frank Krygowski

I bicycling isn't dangerous then why would people need to take special courses?

Cheerio

Old July 13th 13, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 8:12:29 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:38:16 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski

wrote:

On Friday, July 12, 2013 9:12:19 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:50:40 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski

So, should people get instruction on how to ride a bike legally and safely?

If so, how should that be done?

- Frank Krygowski

Not sure Frank. How did you learn to ride a bicycle?

Oh, I got the usual treatment of the 1950s: Training wheels, then Dad running along beside me, then the miracle of balancing. That was all the training, except "watch out for cars."

Apparently I was raised different. I learned to ride a bike when I was

probably 9 or 10 years old as a mate got given a bike and several of

the neighborhood kids learned to "ride" on it by coasting down an

access road - (access to my granddad's chicken houses). My first

learning experience was discovering how difficult it is to stop a

bike, equipped with a coaster brake, when your feet barely reach the

pedals.

Perhaps I was precocious but I don't remember being told anything

about cars, perhaps because like the rest of the kids in school I

walked to school, and had been since the 1st grade - about a half,

maybe three-quarters mile down a two lane blacktop road.

About the age of twelve I grew enough to actually ride a bike -

sitting on the seat - and my dad bought me a bike. At least third

hand, brush painted black, no fenders and a non operating coaster

brake. My first mechanical endeavor was to take the brake apart and

"fix" it.

So, by the time I was large enough to ride a bike I had already

mastered the mechanics of it and road safety was pretty much a matter,

just like on the farm, of staying away from anything bigger, faster,

or stronger. Certainly we were all smart enough to stay out of the pen

with the ram, or even feisty roosters :-) so staying away from trucks,

busses and autos was pretty much second nature.

I can recall my teenage years, biking every day for transportation and recreation with three friends, with two of us claiming you're supposed to ride with traffic, the other two claiming you're supposed to ride facing traffic. Splitting the pack must have been interesting for motorists.

I started really learning about cycling in 1970 or so. By then, college had taught me the value of reading, and how to learn things from books.

My first course or seminar on proper cycling was 1978, IIRC. By then, I'd begun amassing a library on bicycling.

Of course, most people on bikes don't make it to my 1970 stage. In fact, most people don't believe there's anything to learn. :-/

- Frank Krygowski

--

Cheers,

John B.

;) No, no, no! According to some youv'e been doing it all wrong all those years. You must take and control the lane NOT yield to something bigger than you that is barreling up behind you. Don't you know that to leave the lan is to be a scardy cat? ;)

Cheers

Old July 13th 13, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:37:56 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I bicycling isn't dangerous then why would people need to take special courses?

I'm just curious about opinions.

I'll take your response as a "no," then. No instruction needed for bicycling, says "Sir."

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 13th 13, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 1:08:16 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/13/2013 11:29 AM, datakoll wrote:

http://jefferson.uwex.edu/files/2010/09/dairy112.jpg

That's a nice looking Holstein.

Didn't know you were a la mucca fan!

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

a look at where YOUR tax money comes out

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....uhG 7YW1ud5g
Old July 14th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:19:50 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

MORE OR LESS !

The sponge commuter rides thru parking lots so once in a rare while I try teaching tight turn technique to observed wide turn into obstacull riders.

Unfortuneatley, many fall down trying a TTT.

We were renting from Alperti, a car collector of note, with Bill the racing mechanic n family next door. Bill produced ......

eyeyehahahha we had a head collison just then abt 150' from the laptop...looks like a speeder may have wandered into the the oncoming...

well, Bill produced an English racing bike for me out on the large lawn...after we had spent a day dragging the 3/4 midget out of the basement for reassembley.

I did some jumping upo n down abt letting me take it down the hill...I was uh 8 ?

So with my mom standing there I got on the bike n took off across the lawn turned right for a long loop across Alperti's gas station then down the hill...

Never rode a 2 wheeler before.

Someone started shouting abt ??? was the brakes...no one had demod the brakes !!

Adullts are expletive deleted stupidn no ?

and my mom then chased me into traffic trying to stop me from riding down the hill to my assumed death.

to my credit I both escaped mom and the traffic doing an MTB along a steep berm.

training wheels ? launching pad !

Anyone seen how our taxes are being wasted? Doug[_3_] UK 14 September 19th 10 01:06 PM
New taxes for bicycles ????? Grigri General 3 March 18th 05 02:40 PM
New taxes for bicycles ????? Grigri Techniques 0 March 16th 05 11:00 PM
New taxes bycycles ????? Grigri Racing 0 March 16th 05 10:59 PM
New taxes cycles ????? Grigri Marketplace 0 March 16th 05 10:59 PM