Contador vs. Dekker

Old June 18th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Contador vs. Dekker

Dekker is being tipped as the next GC ruler, but Contador is impressing
me for the second year in a row. Are there more young riders who are
growing like these two?

Old June 18th 06, 10:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tuschinski schreef:
Dekker is being tipped as the next GC ruler, but Contador is impressing
me for the second year in a row. Are there more young riders who are
growing like these two?

Lövkvist? Perhaps not yet. But yeah, Contador is quite impressive. Two
years ago he had some brilliant flashes, last year he confirmed and this
latest stage win promises for the future. I like his style. Reminds me
of a young Boogerd.

T. Dekker, I don't know. He's still 2 years younger than Contador, same
age as Lövkvist, but what have we seen of him really, apart from a few
decent TT results? (in the pro ranks I mean). He was interviewed for
'Fiets' and said he is aiming for a good GC result in the Tour of 2007.
That doesn't seem like bad timing, considering his dominance of the
espoirs: 1 or almost 2 transitional years, then to the top of the game
with the elite. On the other hand, "Wat goed is komt snel" (what is good
comes fast) and it seems like a giant leap from his current form to a
TdF podium. Never mind that he broke Basso's winter record up the local
training hill at Cecchini's.

--
E. Dronkert
Old June 18th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tuschinski a écrit :
Dekker is being tipped as the next GC ruler, but Contador is impressing
me for the second year in a row. Are there more young riders who are
growing like these two?

Bernhard Kohl (former Rabobank TT3) ?

dv
Old June 18th 06, 11:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

T. Dekker, I don't know. He's still 2 years younger than Contador, same
age as Lövkvist, but what have we seen of him really, apart from a few
decent TT results?

He won the hilly stage of the Criterium International last year, didn't he?

I would add Luis Leon Sanchez to the list. He's still undecided about
focusing on GTs or Spring races, but has shown a nice progression in his
climbing abilities this year.

Jenko
Old June 18th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jenko schreef:
He won the hilly stage of the Criterium International last year, didn't he?

I can't remember; for one because I didn't see it on tv and also I
haven't been paying particular attention to Dekker's results (yet). He
did win the Tirreno-Adriatico earlier this year but of course that
hardly has any climbing (of consequence).

--
E. Dronkert
Old June 18th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

Wat goed is komt snel... Jep. that is usually the case for GC riders.
Indurain was a tad "late" but everyone knew he would win the TdF one
day as his other results were so impressive.

I read the "fiets" article as well. The thing is that you can up to a
certain level train in a discipline. A TTer becoming a power-climber
isn't a new thing (lately we see climbers becoming TTers, wich is more
unusual)

I have some faith in Dekker, but time will tell. Maybe this year we
will see something...

Contador is better in TT then the young Boogerd. I also think he is a
much better climber at that age. Boogerd should imho just focus on the
classics.

Old June 18th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
T. Dekker, I don't know.
Never mind that he broke Basso's winter record up the local
training hill at Cecchini's.

There must be some high rise parking garages in Holland for him to have
learned to climb like that. How good was he as an amateur/junior ?

Old June 19th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tuschinski wrote:
Are there more young riders who are growing like these two?

Someone already mentioned Luis Sanchez.
Also - Linus Gerdmann.
Dmitro Grabowsky (?sp).
Will Walker.