Are all racks created equal?

Old February 28th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Are all racks created equal?

SKU: 63210
Heavy Duty Military Duffel - 24 in. x 50 in.
$19.99

SKU: 63200
Heavy Duty Military Duffel - 24 in. x 42 in.
$14.99

I have two of the 42" but notice the 50" is square and mounts up next
to plywood sides bolted to the rack and top: supported by shock cords
Sitting one bag on a ply top, load and bag set upright back of the
saddle, a shock cord or two are run around the bag , attached to the
saddle post. Shock cords are then run from the rear of the ply top,
holes drilled and cord hooks hooked. Cords are run from the sides
bottoms around the bag and looped around other cords-like loading up
your jackass or mule. Internet examples are available or see thomas'
book of knots. Examples of wooden racks are available in tech archives
and on the net.
The loaded bag comes from walmort at 40-50 pounds, 75 is max. I ride
home carefully over the bridge and thru the woods from 6 to 14 miles.
Alternatives to the standards. See also Bruce Gordon cycles

scotch guard may stink and irritate lungs: dragging the bags into the
tent may be undesirable. publix here in fla has publix trash bags with
red top ties. the publix bags are reliable waterproofing if the water
has runoff routes. two holes on the side for the backpack day bag's
straps...

wheeled bags have potential but wheeled grocery carriers are salt
flats

Old February 28th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

and lets not forget

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/packs&racks.htm

Old February 28th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Feb 27, 5:39 pm, "Pilgrim" wrote:
On Feb 27, 1:44 pm, wrote:

HD is slower than most so bear with them and search tool bags from the
home search bar or wander over. the bags are quality and inexpensive:
asians make the bags not HD employees

I'm a step ahead of ya data. I bought a couple of army surplus belt
packs the other day. They are green canvas, and I'm going to spray
them with scotch guard or maybe something fully waterproof. They are a
little smaller than standard panniers but they were cheap ($15) and
they'll look great. I just need to glue a piece of stiff plastic to
the inner inside and punch a couple holes for zip tying them to the
rack. Maybe I'll get Ozark to send me some Arkansas patches for
them :-)

I'll trade ya fer sum o dem Calyfournia Re-public patchs with that big
ol' bar on it. ;-)