Are all ISIS bottom brackets junk?

Old March 3rd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default Are all ISIS bottom brackets junk?

Do higher end ISIS brackets last as long as octalink brackets?

Old March 4th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Do higher end ISIS brackets last as long as octalink brackets?

I have an FSA ti version which seems as nice today as it was when I first
installed it about 8k miles ago. Not a huge number of miles yet, to be sure,
but I figured it was a bit risky to use in the first place, since I'm not
light (about 172lbs) and ride nothing but hills.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 4th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
RS wrote:

Do higher end ISIS brackets last as long as octalink brackets?

I've got a Truvativ that's been in service for a couple-three years and
has about 3500 miles on it. No problems thus far, but then a BB ought
to be good for a few years with lots more mileage.
Old March 4th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 4, 12:00?am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Do higher end ISIS brackets last as long as octalink brackets?

since I'm not
light (about 172lbs) and ride nothing but hills.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

I think at 172lbs, you have your answer. I wish i was not light. I'm a
shameful 238lbs on my bike and i've ridden Isis BBs' without any
problems. It seems to be something to do with riding style and how
much you stand-up/pressure the BB. You often hear of people on the
forums who seem to destroy every bit of bike kit they find, regardless
of cost and then blame the equipment, even though there are thousands
of content users. Seems to me that Octalink vs Isis has more to do
with provoking customer spending than any genuine mechanical need for
most customers. I think that the squeeky wheel gets the grease, and
you tend to only read posts from the unrepresentative exceptions who
are angry enough to post about a certain product failure. Hope that it
continues to give you good service.
all the best, Nick.

Old March 4th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It will all get better when these devices have ceramic balls, races and
titanium spindles. The combination will make everyone a lot faster, last
much longer and end all breakage problems forever. The IBD will be able to
keystone, the consumer will be grateful to just be on the waiting list and
the entire bike business will move up another notch. The future looks very
bright...

Bruce

Old March 4th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crazy Fred

On Mar 3, 6:53 pm, RS wrote:
Do higher end ISIS brackets last as long as octalink brackets?

Yes and when you use lots of grease.

Old March 5th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim Izod

On 2007-03-04, wrote:
[...]

Some ISIS bottom brackets really are rubbish. The Truvaiv ISIS
BB which went graunchy after 400 miles and stopped turning when pushed
gently after 500 miles really wasn't good. The FSA ISIS BB which
replaced it is still fine after 2k miles, normally a good sign

--
Tim.