Rock Shox Duke XC U-turn vs Pilot SL

Old June 24th 03, 07:42 PM
JY

Default Rock Shox Duke XC U-turn vs Pilot SL

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"JY" wrote in message

I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The
Pilot is an air fork BTW. Any comments about which works better? I

haven't
seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.

Nothing by rocksux works well for very long.

JD

Actually that's been partly my experience too with my old RockShox fork.
Yet I'm choosing them again. I thought maybe the Pilot might be a
simple design and so more reliable. Then when it explodes in 2 or 3 yrs I
can get the $700 Fox.

Old June 25th 03, 08:19 AM
SuperSlinky

JY said...

I'm deciding between these two forks in about the same price range. The
Pilot is an air fork BTW. Any comments about which works better? I haven't
seen any reviews on the web or anything. Thanks.

I recently gained considerable experience in rebuilding the Duke XC and
I was quite unimpressed by the design of the internals. I would try one
of the cheaper Bombers instead. I think you can get an MX Comp for about
the same price as a Duke and the EXR is even cheaper. If you can scrape
together $350, try the Fox Vanilla 125R. I have a Vanilla 125RL and it
is a smooooothe operator right out of the box. It has no plastic parts
(that I can see), and bigger (read stiffer) stanchions than the
competition. I think it is a real bargain at $350.
Old June 25th 03, 12:10 PM
MidBunchLurker

Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely
recommend it.

--
nick.

[color=navy blue]Cape Epic Team Grovel
www.cape-epic.com

Grovel: "To work interminably and without apparent progress"

Old June 25th 03, 01:04 PM
Shaun Rimmer

MidBunchLurker wrote in message
Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely
recommend it.

3 months is not any length of time to properly judge something like a
suspension fork by - the things should last for years with no more than
minor maintenance, but most RuckShucks stuff goes tits up in a lot less
time.

Shaun aRe - FFS, buy a Marzocchi, heheheheheh........

Old June 25th 03, 08:55 PM
SuperSlinky

MidBunchLurker said...

Been using the Duke XC for the last 3 months: super-plush and definitely
recommend it.

I know there are lots of satisfied Duke customers, but having seen the
insides, I just doubt its long-term durability. Mine was busted from the
factory. I got a Duke SL as a replacement in a deal with the bike
factory, but in the meantime I ordered a Fox Vanilla 125RL. I am going
to put the Duke SL on my old full rigid and see how it does. Installing
the Fox in place of the Duke was a real eye-opener. I'm not sure why I
sense so much of an improvement. Maybe part of it is that I like the
geometry better with the longer travel of the Fox, but it is noticeably
stiffer as well and I think that is the main thing.