bar end shifter indexing

Old September 4th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Default bar end shifter indexing

Hey all,

After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode, I
only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the
middle of the range, I am still able to change into every gear, but it
doesn't click into place..so it is sort of semi-friction in the middle.

Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it? I
haven't seen any adjustment of the clicks/indexing.

?

Thanks!

Tom

Old September 4th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kenneth Clements

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey all,

After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode, I
only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the
middle of the range, I am still able to change into every gear, but it
doesn't click into place..so it is sort of semi-friction in the middle.

Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it? I
haven't seen any adjustment of the clicks/indexing.

Sounds like cable adjustment is out. Try loosening the cable at the rear
deraileur and see if you get 9 clicks at the lever.

Ken.

Old September 4th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
M-gineering

tom wrote:
Hey all,

After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode, I
only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the
middle of the range, I am still able to change into every gear, but it
doesn't click into place..so it is sort of semi-friction in the middle.

Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it? I
haven't seen any adjustment of the clicks/indexing.

Try assembling the lever with the chromed innerring rotated to a
different position. It fits a few ways, but only works properly in one.

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old September 4th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"tom" a écrit:

I have some Shimano 9-speed bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy.
When using them in indexed mode, I only get 5 clicks when changing
the rear derailleur. Somewhere in the middle of the range, I am still
able to change into every gear, but it doesn't click into place..so it is
sort of semi-friction in the middle.

Is this normal? And if not, is there anything I can do about it?

It sounds as though the "lever boss cover" has been installed incorrectly.
See the diagram he

http://www.paul-lange.de/produkte/sh...Sl_BS77_EV.pdf

Part number 2 can be installed in four different orientations. To work
correctly, the protrusion on the side facing the lever should point
downwards, as in the diagram.

James Thomson

Old September 5th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

tom wrote:

After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode,
I only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur.

Mine seems to be giving me two per gear, so perhaps I can donate a few of my
spare clicks ;-)

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old September 5th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Thanks for the tips everybody, I'll have a fiddle today and let you
know what I come up with.

Tom

Old September 5th 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Mine seems to be giving me two per gear, so perhaps I can donate a few of my
spare clicks ;-)

that's just plain greedy!

Old September 5th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roos Eisma

"Dave Larrington" writes:

tom wrote:

After a bit more of your fantastic advice. I have some Shimano 9-speed
bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy. When using them in indexed mode,
I only get 5 clicks when changing the rear derailleur.

Mine seems to be giving me two per gear, so perhaps I can donate a few of my
spare clicks ;-)

I have flipped the thingy so I don't get any clicks at all, maybe they
have migrated to yours?

roos