super stuck cassette lockring

Old September 27th 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Default super stuck cassette lockring

tom wrote on 27/09/2006 18:04 +0100:
Are you sure its a cassette and not a freewheel?

yep, I turned to Sheldon to determine that first..
(http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)

Tony, I tried your squeeze technique with the wrench+chain whip. It
felt like I was getting more leverage, you're right, but still no
movement.

No vice at my disposal at the moment.. Is sudden force (ie a hit with a
lump hammer on the wrench) a really bad idea?

No, try the lump hammer. Its best though if you can put the whip and
wrench in the above squeeze position with the handle of one resting on a
hard surface (top of a wall or such like) and then hit the other handle.
Usually its getting the first budge out of it that's difficult. Once
that has happened it tends to undo easily.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 27th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve Watkin

I think you're right!!

SW

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
Steve Watkin wrote:
Try holding the removal tool in the vice and turning the whole wheel
anticlockwise.............like a big steering wheel. Normally works for
me.

That works with freewheels, but not with cassette hubs.

Old September 28th 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

tom wrote:
Are you sure its a cassette and not a freewheel?

yep, I turned to Sheldon to determine that first..
(http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)

Tony, I tried your squeeze technique with the wrench+chain whip. It
felt like I was getting more leverage, you're right, but still no
movement.

No vice at my disposal at the moment.. Is sudden force (ie a hit with
a lump hammer on the wrench) a really bad idea?

As an alternative, if you can lay hands on a piece of tube which will fit
over the end of the wrench...

In the days of obstinate freewheels with big sprockets, I used a 10"
adjustable spanner with a Bickerton seat tube artfully flattened at one end
to extend the total length to about two of the BRITONS' feet. Back then a
source of Bits of Borken Bickerton was readily available in the form of Lt.
Col. Larrington (retd.), who would break Bickies with monotonous regularity
until such time as they started flogging rebadged Dahons instead.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old September 28th 06, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Dave Larrington wrote on 28/09/2006 08:57 +0100:

In the days of obstinate freewheels with big sprockets, I used a 10"
adjustable spanner with a Bickerton seat tube artfully flattened at one end
to extend the total length to about two of the BRITONS' feet. Back then a
source of Bits of Borken Bickerton was readily available in the form of Lt.
Col. Larrington (retd.), who would break Bickies with monotonous regularity
until such time as they started flogging rebadged Dahons instead.

Nothing like a tandem to weld the freewheel to the sprockets. Sometimes
needed a gert big vice and two gert big folk tugging on the wheel to
break it free.

On a tour once two cogs made a gentle tinkling sound as the remnants hit
the tarmac. Had to disassemble the freewheel, with hammer & chisel,
courtesy of a friendly NLBS, grip the body in a vice and grunt like hell
to break it off. Colleague was on standby to DHL a complete new tandem
wheel from the UK had we failed.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 28th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

Tony Raven wrote:

Nothing like a tandem to weld the freewheel to the sprockets.
Sometimes needed a gert big vice and two gert big folk tugging on the
wheel to break it free.

Indeed. I read somewhere that the old Sun Tour Alpine 14-38 freewheels were
fit and forget in tandem use, coz once it'd done a few steep hills, no tool
made of Man was ever going to get it off again.

I'm not sure I'd fancy that...

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
They came for Dani Behr; I said: "she's over there, behind the
wardrobe".

Old September 28th 06, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Tony Raven wrote:
tom wrote on 27/09/2006 18:04 +0100:
Are you sure its a cassette and not a freewheel?

yep, I turned to Sheldon to determine that first..
(http://sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)

Tony, I tried your squeeze technique with the wrench+chain whip. It
felt like I was getting more leverage, you're right, but still no
movement.

No vice at my disposal at the moment.. Is sudden force (ie a hit with a
lump hammer on the wrench) a really bad idea?

No, try the lump hammer. Its best though if you can put the whip and
wrench in the above squeeze position with the handle of one resting on a
hard surface (top of a wall or such like) and then hit the other handle.
Usually its getting the first budge out of it that's difficult. Once
that has happened it tends to undo easily.

If you are goung along the percussive persuasion route, you might want
to try giving the lockring a sharp tap along it's axis with a small
hammer.

If all else fails I use a small pair of stilsons (18"). If I am at my
dad's then I can borrow the medium sized ones (30" or 36"). His
definition of large is 'as tall as him' (5'4").

...d

Old September 28th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Tony Raven :
Nothing like a tandem to weld the freewheel to the sprockets. Sometimes
needed a gert big vice and two gert big folk tugging on the wheel to
break it free.

One of that was enough to convince me to put a cassette hub on.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is First Leicesterday, September.
Old October 3rd 06, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

Thanks to all who replied.

To end this debacle, after hitting, groaning and trying all the tools
at my disposal, I took it down the LBS.

They just put the wheel in a vice, had both tools with considerably
longer handles than mine, and crunch. All done.

Maybe I'm just weak.

Old October 3rd 06, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John

"tom" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks to all who replied.

To end this debacle, after hitting, groaning and trying all the tools
at my disposal, I took it down the LBS.

They just put the wheel in a vice, had both tools with considerably
longer handles than mine, and crunch. All done.

Maybe I'm just weak.

I doubt that your weak, these things just happen. I remember a friend who
had a seized pedal on a crank; we tried everything with no success. In the
end we used an extension bar on an adjustable spanner, which finally
released it. She now religiously keeps the pedal threads greased.

John

Worn Cassette cyclingguy Techniques 33 September 15th 06 01:51 PM
FA: Campagnolo 8-speed cassette lockring jodi Marketplace 0 October 16th 05 08:23 PM
FS: Dura Ace cassette lockring $6 shipped Onrhodes Marketplace 0 January 25th 05 03:42 PM
Cassette Lockring slipping? Alan Hoyle Techniques 6 August 13th 04 02:13 AM
stuck cassette lockring Lou D'Amelio Techniques 2 November 19th 03 06:12 AM