C-dale 3.0 frame

Old August 11th 04, 04:57 PM
Roland2k

Default C-dale 3.0 frame

I have an old C-dale 3.0 frame. It's in relatively good shape, but I
am worried about some paint bubbling up around the cable stays along
the top tube. I assume the aluminum is starting to corrode. Is the
damage irreparable? What's the best way to stop it before it gets any
worse?

TIA,
Roland
Old August 11th 04, 06:25 PM
Weisse Luft

Remove the paint that is bubbling, reprime and paint.

The reason this is happening is the cables are steel and the aluminum
is becoming anodic, oxidizing preferentially. How to prevent this is
isolation of the steel cable housings from the frame using plastic end
caps.

You can also use aluminum cable housings. This is the expensive route
since Nokons cost about $100 a set (brake and shifter)

--
Weisse Luft

Old August 16th 04, 11:20 PM
Har-VEE

"Roland2k" wrote in message
om...
I have an old C-dale 3.0 frame. It's in relatively good shape, but I
am worried about some paint bubbling up around the cable stays along
the top tube. I assume the aluminum is starting to corrode. Is the
damage irreparable? What's the best way to stop it before it gets any
worse?
TIA,
Roland

Roland I just refinished an old SR800 with the same problem. The corrosion
was really much worse once the paint came off. I sandblasted the frame and
filled the pits with multiple (many many coats!) of 3M etching primer. The
LBS had some plastic C-dale cable stays in stock for a fiver and change. If
you take the cable guide off of the bottom bracket you will recoil in REAL
horror.... now that was just a mess down there!

I pulled, yanked, torqued and squeezed the frame every way possible while it
was still naked from the sandblasting, just looking for cracks. She was
clean. Good luck Roland; it will take a week or so of priming and wet
sanding to get it smooth, but it can be pretty again.

Harvey - Big Legs, small mind.

Old August 17th 04, 02:14 PM
Roland2k

"Har-VEE" wrote in message thlink.net...
Roland I just refinished an old SR800 with the same problem. The corrosion
was really much worse once the paint came off. I sandblasted the frame and
filled the pits with multiple (many many coats!) of 3M etching primer. The
LBS had some plastic C-dale cable stays in stock for a fiver and change. If
you take the cable guide off of the bottom bracket you will recoil in REAL
horror.... now that was just a mess down there!

I pulled, yanked, torqued and squeezed the frame every way possible while it
was still naked from the sandblasting, just looking for cracks. She was
clean. Good luck Roland; it will take a week or so of priming and wet
sanding to get it smooth, but it can be pretty again.

Harvey - Big Legs, small mind.

Thanks for the reply. Good information!

Old August 18th 04, 03:02 PM
Trevor Jeffrey

Har-VEE wrote in message ...
Roland I just refinished an old SR800 with the same problem. The corrosion
was really much worse once the paint came off. I sandblasted the frame and
filled the pits with multiple (many many coats!) of 3M etching primer. The
LBS had some plastic C-dale cable stays in stock for a fiver and change.

If
you take the cable guide off of the bottom bracket you will recoil in REAL
horror.... now that was just a mess down there!

I pulled, yanked, torqued and squeezed the frame every way possible while

it
was still naked from the sandblasting, just looking for cracks. She was
clean. Good luck Roland; it will take a week or so of priming and wet
sanding to get it smooth, but it can be pretty again.

To find cracks in metal, warm up, paint with oil. The oil is sucked into any
cracks. Rub off surplus oil with a clean cloth. Dust with carbon or french
chalk. The line of a crack will show up. Manipulation may me necessary to
show up all cracks.

Trevor

Team vs Strada mjbass Recumbent Biking 43 January 5th 04 03:28 AM
Carbon frame intregrity after accident Jürgen Hartwig Techniques 37 November 6th 03 02:32 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Custom Unicycles - Why? JJuggle Unicycling 10 August 26th 03 12:41 AM