London commute - Which single speed bike?

Old October 28th 07, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jh

Default London commute - Which single speed bike?

Im just getting back into cycling after years of public transport and
looking for a decent bike that suits my needs. It will be used for my
short commute from east london to the city (with occasional journeys
across london). Just wondering what bike to get in the 400-500 pounds
range.

I was considering the following, i've added comments from people i've
spoken to and from reviews off the net:

1) Specialized langster - 400
Good but the alu frame is suppossed ot be sore to use

2) Kona paddy wagon 2008 - 450
Good but are like hens teeth at the moment in my size (56cm)

3) Genesis Flyer 2008 - 500
Good, steel frame but again impossible to get in my size in london

I'd prefer a steel framed bike, but due to the lack of them (nobody
knows when more will be in stock) i'm tempted to go for a langster.
What are the groups opinions?

--

JohnH
Old October 28th 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Craig Wallace

jh wrote:
Im just getting back into cycling after years of public transport and
looking for a decent bike that suits my needs. It will be used for my
short commute from east london to the city (with occasional journeys
across london). Just wondering what bike to get in the 400-500 pounds
range.

I was considering the following, i've added comments from people i've
spoken to and from reviews off the net:

1) Specialized langster - 400
Good but the alu frame is suppossed ot be sore to use

That's a bit of a generalisation. Yes, aluminium might give a harsher
ride, but I doubt you'll notice it on a short commute. The tyre width
would probably make much more difference to comfort.

2) Kona paddy wagon 2008 - 450
Good but are like hens teeth at the moment in my size (56cm)

3) Genesis Flyer 2008 - 500
Good, steel frame but again impossible to get in my size in london

I'd prefer a steel framed bike, but due to the lack of them (nobody
knows when more will be in stock) i'm tempted to go for a langster.
What are the groups opinions?

Do you need clearance for mudguards or rack mounts? I think the Langster
and the Flyer are lacking in these, I don't know about the Kona.
Note that most 2008 bikes have only just been released, so a lot of
shops are probably lacking in stock right now.

A few other options to consider:
On-One il Pompino - its a rather nice bike, with a good steel frame, and
lots of clearance for mudguards or fat tyres. Though only available
direct, and it looks like they are mostly out of stock right now.
Specialized Tricross Single - also an alu frame, but with fatter tyres,
and mudguard clearance.
Genesis Skyline - like the Flyer, but with mudguards etc. I don't know
how widely available it is yet.
Old October 28th 07, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Craig Wallace wrote:
jh wrote:
1) Specialized langster - 400
Good but the alu frame is suppossed ot be sore to use

2) Kona paddy wagon 2008 - 450
Good but are like hens teeth at the moment in my size (56cm)

3) Genesis Flyer 2008 - 500
Good, steel frame but again impossible to get in my size in london

A few other options to consider:
On-One il Pompino - its a rather nice bike, with a good steel frame, and
lots of clearance for mudguards or fat tyres. Though only available
direct, and it looks like they are mostly out of stock right now.
Specialized Tricross Single - also an alu frame, but with fatter tyres,
and mudguard clearance.
Genesis Skyline - like the Flyer, but with mudguards etc. I don't know
how widely available it is yet.

Another one to consider ...

Pearson Touche - Alu frame with carbon forks. Tyres up to 28mm, 25 if
mudguards fitted. Steel inserts in track ends, holes for rack mounting.
Lots of options available. Price from 550. My favourite bike.

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/index.html?action=97

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours."
...Stephen F Roberts
Old October 28th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

On Oct 28, 2:04 pm, Craig Wallace
wrote:
jh wrote:
[...]

There's some Pompino Pros left -
http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php?mo...sition=278:278

Same bike but with a carbon fork..

I like On-One kit, it's good and reasonably priced compared to top end
kit. Just a shame their stuff is often out of stock.

Duncan

Old October 28th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I have a 2007 rust-coloured Langster and it is a fine bike for the
money. I wouldn't go for one of the fancy City (London, Boston, New
York etc) ones that are out now as they would surely attract unwanted
attention but the rust one is under-stated enough. I have RaceBlades
fitted for the bad weather and ordinary Topeak Red and White lights
which are good enough for my commute into Brighton on lit roads. You
can pick up a 2007 Langster for 359 quid from Evans now.
The Kona is not my cup of tea...dunno why I just don't fancy it.
On - One Pompinos look good but are touch expensive for my money.
Shame they never seem to come up second-hand....probably a good sign
though.
But for you I think the previous suggestion of a Tricross Single is
valid. It comes well equipped and has rack and mudguard fixtures. In
my opinion the nicest looking of the lot too, one for the future,
perhaps, for me.

Old October 28th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , jh
') wrote:

[...]

The Langster seems be well liked by everyone who has one. However, single
speed is for serious cyclists only unless you're in a flat area. Are you
sure it's what you want?

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.
Old October 28th 07, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tom

How about a Charge Plug?

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/produc...es_-_Messenger

Old October 29th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 28 Oct, 22:38, tom wrote:
How about a Charge Plug?

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/produc...180p2557&tbv=C...

If you are doing East London to The City you may like to use the canal
towpath, where front suspension would be handy?