Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads?

Old June 17th 04, 02:30 PM
Michael Press

Default Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads?

(Evan Evans) wrote:
I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

I've never used V-brakes, but discs are far far superior to road rim
brakes, especially in the wet.

Michael
Old June 17th 04, 05:30 PM
SDMike

"Evan Evans" wrote in message
om...
I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

"Better" depends on how you define it.

In the muck and slop, discs are FAR superior. In general JRA it isn't as big a
difference.

Old June 17th 04, 06:51 PM
David Damerell

Michael Press wrote:
(Evan Evans) wrote:
I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

I've never used V-brakes, but discs are far far superior to road rim
brakes, especially in the wet.

I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
_exactly_ would discs be superior?
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old June 17th 04, 08:46 PM
Chris B.

On 17 Jun 2004 18:51:46 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
(Evan Evans) wrote:
I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

I've never used V-brakes, but discs are far far superior to road rim
brakes, especially in the wet.

I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
_exactly_ would discs be superior?

Dude! Just look at them!
Old June 17th 04, 09:46 PM
Michael Press

David Damerell wrote:
I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
_exactly_ would discs be superior?

I can't. When it gets really wet my stopping distances increase
dramatically. I get almost no braking at first, until the pads
squeegee off the water on the rim.

I weigh 210# and ride in urban traffic, so I prefer the shortest
possible stopping distance when I'm approaching a traffic light at the
bottom of a hill at 30mph in heavy rain with a truck coming through
the intersection.

Michael

Old June 17th 04, 09:59 PM
SDMike

"David Damerell" wrote in message
Michael Press wrote:
(Evan Evans) wrote:
I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.

I've never used V-brakes, but discs are far far superior to road rim
brakes, especially in the wet.

I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
_exactly_ would discs be superior?
--
David Damerell flcl?

By your argument, why did you leave cantis? Or Rollercams, or Scott
Self-Energizing brakes, or... I could endo with my cantis, skid the rear wheel
with U-brakes. They don't do anything that V-brakes do.

How much stronger braking do you need when you can skid the tires with cantis?

Discs aren't really superior to cantis, Vs, or even Rollercams in the respect
that all can lift the rear wheel, or skid it if you want to.

Where discs shine is when the rims get wet, dirty, and/or worn. Discs have none
of the speeding up feeling that brakes do when a rim's wet. They don't grind
down the sides of your rims when you've been running thru the mud.

And best of all, they're easily replaceable vs. rebuilding a wheel.

Now, discs aren't for everyone. If you ride on bridle trails and MUTs, ferget
it. Don't need 'em. Come riding in the woods of the middle Atlantic (or the
UK) when conditions aren't perfect, then they're not a bad thing.

Old June 18th 04, 12:06 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
How
_exactly_ would discs be superior?

- Going down a grade that's slippery and/or covered with loose stones you'd be
able to walk a finer line between washing out the front wheel and not having
enough braking power.

--
PeteCresswell
Old June 18th 04, 02:46 AM
SteveDel

x wrote:
RE/
How _exactly_ would discs be superior?

- Going down a grade that's slippery and/or covered with loose stones
you'd be able to walk a finer line between washing out the front wheel
and not having enough braking power.
--
PeteCresswell

And not saying anything about how they are'nt bothered when you suddenly
get a warped rim.

cheers from OZ

Stevedel

Old June 18th 04, 01:02 PM
David Damerell

Michael Press wrote:
David Damerell wrote:
I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
_exactly_ would discs be superior?

I can't. When it gets really wet my stopping distances increase
dramatically. I get almost no braking at first, until the pads
squeegee off the water on the rim.

Then you need correctly designed and adjusted rim brakes. Obviously a bad
brake of any design is inadequate.

Our man Cholina weighs a great deal more than you and can get the effects
I describe with rim brakes.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old June 18th 04, 01:04 PM
David Damerell

Michael Press wrote:
(Evan Evans) wrote:
I won't say that someday disc brake will become useful , but they
arn't there yet & i won't use them until they are better than v's.
I've never used V-brakes, but discs are far far superior to road rim
brakes, especially in the wet.

I can lift or lock the rear wheel with my rim brakes, wet or dry. How
_exactly_ would discs be superior?

By your argument, why did you leave cantis? Or Rollercams, or Scott
Self-Energizing brakes,

Actually, I have a conventional cantilever on the front and a Suntour SE
cantilever on the rear; so by my argument, I didn't leave cantilevers
because they do the job well.

If people prefer the relatively easy adjustment of Vs to the relatively
long pad live of cantilevers, that's fair enough...

Now, discs aren't for everyone. If you ride on bridle trails and MUTs, ferget
it. Don't need 'em. Come riding in the woods of the middle Atlantic (or the
UK) when conditions aren't perfect, then they're not a bad thing.

Perhaps you missed the words "road rim brakes" above.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!