What happens to bike Bell?

Old September 13th 16, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default What happens to bike Bell?

On 2016-09-11, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That's what I use. The mini-one is fantastic.

Like this, I assume.
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety...dp/B0000AXTVF/

How do you use it fast enough? Do you attach it to the handlebar?
Put a can coozie on it and stick it in a bottle cage?

Another solution nobody's mentioned is a whistle. It's small, light,
and somewhat fast to access.
https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-S.../dp/B000GKKQVC

I have seen a guy riding on the streets of Boston, whistle gripped
between his teeth. Having it handy, he couldn't resist a pro-active
toot every few feet. He was ludicrous, and extremely annoying.

Old September 13th 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/12/2016 10:51 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I don't have a bell because when I'm on the road, there is never
anybody around who might conceivably be able to hear it, unless I pass
someone mending his front fence or somebody else who doesn't care
where I am.

BTW, I enjoy ringing my bell any time I ride past little kids, like
five-year-olds. That's especially true when we're on our tandem. They
often get very excited to see that bike.

Oh, and I fabricated a sort of mini bottle cage for the stoker's
handlebar. It carries a little bottle of "bubble juice." My wife
sometimes treats kids to a stream of bubbles. They like that.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 13th 16, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2016-09-11, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That's what I use. The mini-one is fantastic.

Like this, I assume.
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety...dp/B0000AXTVF/

How do you use it fast enough? Do you attach it to the handlebar?
Put a can coozie on it and stick it in a bottle cage?

Another solution nobody's mentioned is a whistle. It's small, light,
and somewhat fast to access.
https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-S.../dp/B000GKKQVC

I have seen a guy riding on the streets of Boston, whistle gripped
between his teeth. Having it handy, he couldn't resist a pro-active
toot every few feet. He was ludicrous, and extremely annoying.

I don't know about other states, but in Ohio it's illegal to use a
whistle on a bicycle. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.56

I assume I'm still allowed to whistle a tune as I ride along. Nobody
has ever complained, and some have given compliments.

But I suppose my use of a pennywhistle or tin whistle while riding was
illegal. I've done that only a few times. That, too, got compliments.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 14th 16, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 9/12/2016 10:51 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I don't have a bell because when I'm on the road, there is never
anybody around who might conceivably be able to hear it, unless I pass
someone mending his front fence or somebody else who doesn't care
where I am.

BTW, I enjoy ringing my bell any time I ride past little kids, like
five-year-olds. That's especially true when we're on our tandem.
They often get very excited to see that bike.

It's good to motivate the tykes on trail-a-bikes: Daddy! That
funny-looking man with a bell is passing us!

Oh, and I fabricated a sort of mini bottle cage for the stoker's
handlebar. It carries a little bottle of "bubble juice." My wife
sometimes treats kids to a stream of bubbles. They like that.

I usually enjoy an evening ride around the neighborhood on Hallowe'en.
Made scary noises, until I noticed how genuinely frightened some of the
smaller children seeemed. Now I just ring the friendly bell.

Old September 14th 16, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-09-11, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

That's what I use. The mini-one is fantastic.

Like this, I assume.
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Safety...dp/B0000AXTVF/

How do you use it fast enough? Do you attach it to the handlebar?
Put a can coozie on it and stick it in a bottle cage?

Another solution nobody's mentioned is a whistle. It's small, light,
and somewhat fast to access.
https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-S.../dp/B000GKKQVC

I have seen a guy riding on the streets of Boston, whistle gripped
between his teeth. Having it handy, he couldn't resist a pro-active
toot every few feet. He was ludicrous, and extremely annoying.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJNbYIqhjU

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 22nd 16, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

Gregory Sutter writes:

Another solution nobody's mentioned is a whistle. It's small, light,
and somewhat fast to access.
https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-S.../dp/B000GKKQVC

I have seen a guy riding on the streets of Boston, whistle gripped
between his teeth. Having it handy, he couldn't resist a pro-active
toot every few feet. He was ludicrous, and extremely annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJNbYIqhjU

Hahaha, portlandia! OK, whistle not going to work very well.

Sure would be nice if current-gen STI shifters were still
compatible with the "road bell". I'll have to find a new solution
when I upgrade.
http://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-road-bell/

Maybe I'll try their bar end model. Unfortunately not right at the
fingertips like the STI mounted one.
http://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-bar-end/

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old September 22nd 16, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Gregory Sutter wrote:

:Maybe I'll try their bar end model. Unfortunately not right at the
:fingertips like the STI mounted one.
:http://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-bar-end/

The bar end one is a piece of ****. it's a got a mechanism that you
twist half a turn right or left to ring, and then it springs back to
center. After a little use, the spring breaks, and it no longer
returns to center, which means you have to turn it the other way. If
it allowed free rotation, striking the bell every 90 degrees or
somethinglike that, it would be much better.

--
sig 28
Old September 23rd 16, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Gregory Sutter writes:

Another solution nobody's mentioned is a whistle. It's small, light,
and somewhat fast to access.
https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-S.../dp/B000GKKQVC

I have seen a guy riding on the streets of Boston, whistle gripped
between his teeth. Having it handy, he couldn't resist a pro-active
toot every few feet. He was ludicrous, and extremely annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJNbYIqhjU

Hahaha, portlandia! OK, whistle not going to work very well.

Sure would be nice if current-gen STI shifters were still
compatible with the "road bell". I'll have to find a new solution
when I upgrade.
http://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-road-bell/

Maybe I'll try their bar end model. Unfortunately not right at the
fingertips like the STI mounted one.
http://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-bar-end/

Way back when there was a "spoke bell", we called it, similar to
http://chikutakurinrin.cocolog-nifty...bell-part.html

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9EHX2OcKTY
to see one in action.

They did seem effective in gaining people's attention.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 23rd 16, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-23, John B wrote:

Way back when there was a "spoke bell", we called it, similar to
http://chikutakurinrin.cocolog-nifty...bell-part.html

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9EHX2OcKTY
to see one in action.

That is awesome! I just wasted half an hour trying to find one
on der internet. Nada. A few tire-driven ones.

I did find some information, though:

Old September 27th 16, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-09-22, David Scheidt wrote:
Gregory Sutter wrote:

:Maybe I'll try their bar end model. Unfortunately not right at the
:fingertips like the STI mounted one.
:http://www.mirrycle.com/item/incredibell-bar-end/

The bar end one is a piece of ****. it's a got a mechanism that you
twist half a turn right or left to ring, and then it springs back to
center.

Thank you. I'll avoid it.

Still looking for a spoke-driven (rather than tire-driven)
sturmklingel, though. After an hour of 'net research, the one from
India in the video that John B. posted is still the nicest I've seen.