Glass Resistant Tires

Old September 26th 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Glass Resistant Tires

On 2016-09-26 09:26, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 11:30:21 AM UTC-4,
wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were
glass resistant. This was rapidly followed by Continental's
Gatorskin.

Because the Continental was more widely available it became very
popular.

So now most manufacturers are either producing glass resistant
tires or are developing them.

Schwalbe's Fatskins seem to work well but the rubber compound cuts
quite easily though punctures appear to be rare.

I still prefer the Armadillo but because it's a house tire of
Specialized they are hard to find and expensive. Though they are
very flat resistant and have good wear. A Gatorskin will get me
about 1,000 miles before they need to be replaced whereas I have
about 1,500 on my latest set of Armadillos and while I'm a bit
nervous they still have tread all around.

The Gatorskin compound seems to me to be too hard for good
traction.

I just discovered a 4x3mm tear in the running surface of my rear
Gatorskin that exposed the cord underneath. It has only about 2,000
Km on it--a bit of a disappointment, really.

That is odd. Did you run over barbed wire? The running surface on
Gatorskins is really tough, in contrast to their sidewalls. I often run
over smashed Whiskey and beer bottles strewn across bike lanes. It never
damaged the Gatorskins but it makes me wonder what motorists are
consuming on the road.

... It is, however, still
holding air and at least it did not go flat on a ride.

I'd replace it anyhow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 26th 16, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

I am an urbanite. I have not come in contact with barbed wire in yonks.
... It is, however, still
holding air and at least it did not go flat on a ride.

I'd replace it anyhow.

I will, likely with Armadillos. I switched that set out immediately for another pair with Schwalbe Duranos on them.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old September 26th 16, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tires with sidewall protection (was Glass Resistant Tires)

On 2016-09-15, Joerg wrote:

Seriously, I neither care about riding comfort nor about weight. All I
care about is not having a delay caused by equipment failure.

Also for your bike wiki file: this month's Bicycling mag had an ad
for Kenda Kountach Endurance tires, the defining feature thereof
being a bead-to-bead Aramid layer plus a second one under the tread.
Also they're not very expensive compared to competitors. Apparently
they've been around for a while, but I've just become aware.

http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/f...ach-endurance/

$25 via eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/361544681892

Cheers.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/

Greg - I'll definitely give these a try. Though my cornering problems might be the lighter rims I use with the Gatorskins, I just cannot trust the Continentals to corner like the Armadilloes.

The Thickskins have a round latitudinal profile and a smooth tread but the one's I had seemed to have high rolling resistance.
Old September 27th 16, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Last week I ran over a large coil of it. However, my MTB wheels have
motorcycle-grade tubes, plus tire liner, plus old tube over the tire
liner, plus sturdy dirt tires - nothing, not even a hiss.

As a courtesy to other riders, some of whom I know, I ride over thorn
bushes slightly off the singletrack in order to flatten them. Because
other riders get flats out there all the time. I don't.

[...]

Old September 28th 16, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:30:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant.

Those things SUCKED. Riding them was like riding a steel tire from a pilgrim's wagon.

Old September 28th 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:02:33 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:30:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant.

Those things SUCKED. Riding them was like riding a steel tire from a pilgrim's wagon.

Pilgrims don't know sh** about suspension. http://pilgrim-cycles.co.uk/wp-conte...403_173947.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 28th 16, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:35:21 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 5:02:33 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:30:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant.

Those things SUCKED. Riding them was like riding a steel tire from a pilgrim's wagon.

Pilgrims don't know sh** about suspension. http://pilgrim-cycles.co.uk/wp-conte...403_173947.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

Well... they know how to suspend a piece of pizza, fwiw
Old September 28th 16, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/27/2016 7:02 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:30:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant.

Those things SUCKED. Riding them was like riding a steel tire from a pilgrim's wagon.

We agree- and their ilk, too- heavy, dead response, much
worse than the occasional puncture.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 28th 16, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Originally Specialized came out with the Armadillo tires that were glass resistant.

Those things SUCKED. Riding them was like riding a steel tire from a pilgrim's wagon.

We agree- and their ilk, too- heavy, dead response, much
worse than the occasional puncture.

Oh!!! Heh-heh... is the Gatorskin for their ilk? To my surprise, I -love- Gatorskins! I think they are the opposite of armadillos - they feel almost as good to me as a conti 2000. When I put the 2000s back on, yeah, I can tell they ride nicer. But then when I put the gatorskins back on I don't notice any difference.

Actually lately I've been using a gatorskin in the back and a 2000 or equivalent in the front.

I get a few flats a year instead of a few a week while commuting, and they feel almost as good to me, they last me 3K miles instead of 1500, and they cost the same - $30 on sale.

Glass pieces in tires dgk General 21 May 8th 07 02:38 PM
Light and puncture resistant tires for Madone chris c General 23 June 20th 06 12:43 AM
new tech for puncture resistant tires? tiborg Techniques 12 June 17th 06 06:04 AM
Best puncture resistant clincher tires [email protected] Techniques 34 March 20th 06 09:17 PM
What do YOU use to pull glass/wires/nails/goatheads out of tires? [email protected] General 8 January 24th 06 09:42 PM