A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why you don't ride in the door zone



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 15th 18, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,868
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE

Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?

Ads
  #2  
Old November 15th 18, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 236
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

On 15/11/2018 13:19, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE

Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?


A genuinely amusing video for a change.

There's little doubt that the insurer of the pirate car is going to have
to pick up the tab for the damage to the car and probably a good few
hundreds of pounds to the operator of the bus for repairs.
  #3  
Old November 15th 18, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,163
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2018 13:19, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE

Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?


A genuinely amusing video for a change.

There's little doubt that the insurer of the pirate car is going to
have to pick up the tab for the damage to the car and probably a good
few hundreds of pounds to the operator of the bus for repairs.


Agreed. Finally Jester has posted something worth clicking on.
In a different life I used to own taxis, the punters were always opening
doors without looking.
Note that in the video the passenger is a violent import who scarpered.


  #4  
Old November 15th 18, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,868
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 5:15:50 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2018 13:19, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE

Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?


A genuinely amusing video for a change.

There's little doubt that the insurer of the pirate car is going to
have to pick up the tab for the damage to the car and probably a good
few hundreds of pounds to the operator of the bus for repairs.


Agreed. Finally Jester has posted something worth clicking on.


How do you know if I have posted something worth clicking on without clicking on it?
  #5  
Old November 15th 18, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,163
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 5:15:50 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2018 13:19, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE

Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?

A genuinely amusing video for a change.

There's little doubt that the insurer of the pirate car is going to
have to pick up the tab for the damage to the car and probably a
good few hundreds of pounds to the operator of the bus for repairs.


Agreed. Finally Jester has posted something worth clicking on.


How do you know if I have posted something worth clicking on without
clicking on it?


Past experience.


  #6  
Old November 15th 18, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,868
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 5:53:59 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 5:15:50 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2018 13:19, Simon Jester wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE

Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?

A genuinely amusing video for a change.

There's little doubt that the insurer of the pirate car is going to
have to pick up the tab for the damage to the car and probably a
good few hundreds of pounds to the operator of the bus for repairs.

Agreed. Finally Jester has posted something worth clicking on.


How do you know if I have posted something worth clicking on without
clicking on it?


Past experience.


Exactly what 'past experience' told you this was worth clicking on?
  #7  
Old November 15th 18, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 670
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE

Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?


The automaker.

They should have designed the driver side door handle to flash LEDs rearward if a hand touches the interior latch. This may give a cyclist the fraction of a second he needs to swerve, brake or otherwise mitigate the collision. Another light under the car should project an image onto the pavement indicating the zone swept out by the door as it opens. An alarm should go off as well.

  #8  
Old November 19th 18, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 236
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

On 15/11/2018 17:15, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2018 13:19, Simon Jester wrote:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE


Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?


A genuinely amusing video for a change.
There's little doubt that the insurer of the pirate car is going to
have to pick up the tab for the damage to the car and probably a good
few hundreds of pounds to the operator of the bus for repairs.


Agreed. Finally Jester has posted something worth clicking on.
In a different life I used to own taxis, the punters were always opening
doors without looking.
Note that in the video the passenger is a violent import who scarpered.


The driver of the pirate car did himself no favours in allowing a
situation where the only option available to the passenger was opening
the front passenger door into the moving traffic lane because the car
was stopped against the right hand kerb (even in a one-way street).

He ought to have either sought out a spare bit of clear kerb on the left
OR pulled up near parked cars on the left, such that no vehicle could
reasonably try to pass along the passenger side of the car. Well, no
vehicle except a bicycle. And as we know, it's impossible for a bike to
do any damage to anything or anybody else (except for the occasions when
it does).
  #9  
Old November 19th 18, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,868
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 2:14:26 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2018 17:15, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2018 13:19, Simon Jester wrote:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hw8Kzw60rE


Who was at fault and who should pay the bill?


A genuinely amusing video for a change.
There's little doubt that the insurer of the pirate car is going to
have to pick up the tab for the damage to the car and probably a good
few hundreds of pounds to the operator of the bus for repairs.


Agreed. Finally Jester has posted something worth clicking on.
In a different life I used to own taxis, the punters were always opening
doors without looking.
Note that in the video the passenger is a violent import who scarpered.


The driver of the pirate car did himself no favours in allowing a
situation where the only option available to the passenger was opening
the front passenger door into the moving traffic lane because the car
was stopped against the right hand kerb (even in a one-way street).


Go ahead, tell us why you call it a pirate car.

He ought to have either sought out a spare bit of clear kerb on the left
OR pulled up near parked cars on the left, such that no vehicle could
reasonably try to pass along the passenger side of the car. Well, no
vehicle except a bicycle. And as we know, it's impossible for a bike to
do any damage to anything or anybody else (except for the occasions when
it does).


Would it be the cyclist's fault if the passenger opened the door into the cyclist's path?
You have already stated the bus driver was not at fault.

  #10  
Old November 19th 18, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 365
Default Why you don't ride in the door zone

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 2:29:03 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:

Would it be the cyclist's fault if the passenger opened the door into the cyclist's path?


HC Rule 239 is clear on this.

http://www.highwaycode.info/images/h..._your_door.jpg

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When 2500 philanthropist bike 545 miles past your front door, do youopen the door? velo Rides 0 May 22nd 12 12:20 AM
Avoid the door zone. Doug[_3_] UK 76 March 26th 10 09:45 AM
Door Zone Bike Lane Bill McAninch Recumbent Biking 2 November 30th 04 03:53 AM
RR: Twilight Zone SS bop Paladin Mountain Biking 3 September 1st 04 02:41 PM
Sierra Club Goes Door-to-Door Now?!? Sorni Mountain Biking 9 September 5th 03 12:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.