Interview with Jobst Brandt

Old March 14th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
sergio

Default Interview with Jobst Brandt

Let me put down my own recollections of Jobst Brandt.

It's been quite a few years since I ran across the story of some
'Bicycle Ttrip 19XX', when I instantly realized that the man knew well
the Alps.
Afterr noticing his competence in geography a direct exchange of tips
and advice followed.
I was even able to suggest to him deviations from the course he was
used to, which surely led him astray.
Never again did he ask me for help. But the point is that the first
time he did follow my advice.
So you see, Jobst is indeed an open person.

Point is that he has strongly rooted general knowledge and feelings;
so he would, after gauging the alternatives, very quickly go back to
his beaten path.
So does he, when planning trips, as in discussing bicycles, and, for
that matter, the mechanics of any machine. You name it.

Is he stubborn?
Maybe, but who is not he who has deep knowledge, if not faith?

Surely he was very amiable that time, over twenty years ago when I
called him up on the telephone from the Stanford University.
I rang the phone:
'Jobst', That was the answer.
Straight to the point. to anticipate, and so save, a possible insult
had I gone on to ask:
'Hello, is Job-st there?'

Yes, we shortly met in LA.
He was very nice and kind to us, the whole Servadio family. He showed
us around, handed over a book of photographs and even treated us to
chocolate at Ghirardelli's.

What more can you expect of a stranger, a frugal man himself, in a
country where, to my experience, generosity is not such a common
virtue?

We kept in contact, from time to time, through the years. He would
send me picture postcards from places like Giau and Stelvio, not
forgetting Xmas and New Year's Greetings.

From the very beginning was he aware that I am a rider, though
recreational, that cycles the Alps. Nevertheless, when I proposed to
meet together at Passo Gran San Bernardo, where he would pass by with
Brian Tomlin if I recall, he played shy, shunned me answering: 'But I
fly by ... '.

So is the man.
You can't take him off his course so easily.
However, I must again note and praise his generosity. He barely knew
me from internet when I asked him about his book, being interested in
it myself and my friend, a mechanical engineer.
We received two complimetary copies in the mail.

So, be nice to Jobst.
In real life he never bites.

Sergio
Pisa