Is there a special tool for that?

Old September 30th 16, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

Default Is there a special tool for that?

Just serviced a set of spring forks - and forgot to fit gaiters while
putting back together.

Rather than take them apart again, I dug out a set of forks that already had
gaiters that are a snug fit on the tops of the sliders.

The 3/8" drive allen bit attachment in my socket set won't fit down the
stanchion tube like it did on the one I already serviced, also my long allen
keys aren't long enough.

Is there a "proper" tool?

Thanks.

Old October 1st 16, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-keys/=14ef9jt
Old October 1st 16, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 8:04:04 PM UTC-6, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 2:58:59 PM UTC-6, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Just serviced a set of spring forks - and forgot to fit gaiters while
putting back together.

Rather than take them apart again, I dug out a set of forks that already had
gaiters that are a snug fit on the tops of the sliders.

The 3/8" drive allen bit attachment in my socket set won't fit down the
stanchion tube like it did on the one I already serviced, also my long allen
keys aren't long enough.

Is there a "proper" tool?

Thanks.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-keys/=14ef9jt

local noise shouted downmy way tht a rectangualt bar doesn't work .....so we an stick this in his ahole

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-hex-bars/=14efbvu

or a spoon maybe ?
Old October 1st 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

http://m.acehardware.com//product/in...b-b78930b16187

Socket holds hex broken off Allen wrench in vise. Duck tape together.

Finesse breaking with a hacksaw cut on rod's backside. Hit with hammer or brick chisel/ hammer...we use an 11pound engineers hammer
Old October 1st 16, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/30/2016 4:59 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Just serviced a set of spring forks - and forgot to fit gaiters while
putting back together.

Rather than take them apart again, I dug out a set of forks that already
had gaiters that are a snug fit on the tops of the sliders.

The 3/8" drive allen bit attachment in my socket set won't fit down the
stanchion tube like it did on the one I already serviced, also my long
allen keys aren't long enough.

Is there a "proper" tool?

IOW a longer allen wrench? Almost certainly.

But I'll note that in similar circumstances, I've taken a steel rod and
ground the end to make the tool I needed. I did it when I quickly
needed a very long philips screwdriver, so an allen head should be much
easier. Just be sure the steel isn't too soft.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 1st 16, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 21:59:54 +0100, "Benderthe.evilrobot"
wrote:

Just serviced a set of spring forks - and forgot to fit gaiters while
putting back together.

Rather than take them apart again, I dug out a set of forks that already had
gaiters that are a snug fit on the tops of the sliders.

The 3/8" drive allen bit attachment in my socket set won't fit down the
stanchion tube like it did on the one I already serviced, also my long allen
keys aren't long enough.

Is there a "proper" tool?

A "proper" tool is anything that works without doing damage. In the
distant past, it was common practice for mechanics to build their own
specialty tools. In this case, it's a simple matter to braze a broken
3/8" allen wrench to a length of 1/4" steel, drill rod, pipe, or
whatever fits. I guess times have changed. I have a few of those
that I made for dealing inaccessible screw heads buried deep in
machinery. For working in deep holes, I prefer such home made tools
to using a socket extension and driver tip because the tips often fall
out when the extension is extracted.

Perhaps you don't have a brazing set. Just find a piece of aluminum
pipe or tubing that fits over the 3/8" allen wrench. Either force fit
them together, or epoxy glue them together. That works nicely when
the access hole is smaller than the diameter of a 1/4" or 3/8" shaft
exension. What is the diameter of the access hole in your sprung
forks?

If it will fit, maybe an absurdly long and low quality (use once)
socket extension:
3 Pc Super-Long Extension Set for $15.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-pc-super-long-extension-set-67975.html
Of course, you could just collect every socket extension you can find
in your tool collection and put them together to make a wobbly long
extension.

You can also buy screwdriver bit extensions, which will work if you
have a 3/8" allen drive bit.
http://www.titan-us.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=16018
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-16018-Release-Extension/dp/B00132FUP4
About $16, but I suspect it will not have any more clearance than the
socket extensions.

Good luck. This should be easy (famous last words).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 1st 16, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

"DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" wrote in message
http://m.acehardware.com//product/in...b-b78930b16187

Socket holds hex broken off Allen wrench in vise. Duck tape together.

You're not like most trolls - most trolls try to show off how clever they
are.........................

Old October 1st 16, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Benderthe.evilrobot

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
On 9/30/2016 4:59 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
Just serviced a set of spring forks - and forgot to fit gaiters while
putting back together.

Rather than take them apart again, I dug out a set of forks that already
had gaiters that are a snug fit on the tops of the sliders.

The 3/8" drive allen bit attachment in my socket set won't fit down the
stanchion tube like it did on the one I already serviced, also my long
allen keys aren't long enough.

Is there a "proper" tool?

IOW a longer allen wrench? Almost certainly.

A screwdriver bit set in the toolbox has the right size allen bit and it
will certainly fit down the stanchion, I thought there was a long extension
in the set - there wasn't.

Another toolbox had a flexible extension that' OK as long as the bolt isn't
too tight. When I dropped it down the stanchion, it was just a tiny bit too
short - but that was with no allen bit on the end.

Old October 2nd 16, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 12:56:41 PM UTC-6, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
"DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH" wrote in message
http://m.acehardware.com//product/in...b-b78930b16187

Socket holds hex broken off Allen wrench in vise. Duck tape together.

You're not like most trolls - most trolls try to show off how clever they
are.........................

? troll ? trolls live under the bridge

I have one in a Redline steel 8 spd modded cyclocrosser done up for trekking

fab a permanent tool n throw it the box
Old October 2nd 16, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 10:55:40 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

You can also buy screwdriver bit extensions, which will work if you
have a 3/8" allen drive bit.
http://www.titan-us.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=16018
https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Tools-16018-Release-Extension/dp/B00132FUP4
About $16, but I suspect it will not have any more clearance than the
socket extensions.

This type is probably better:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pack-of-2-12-Magnetic-Bit-Extension-Holder-Quick-Change-1-4-Hex-Shank-/400920558053
I forgot that I have one in my cordless drill bag. Very useful.

*Some Special(s) kaka UK 0 December 21st 07 04:46 PM
MTB tool kit buying suggestions - ST-14 vs ST-21and general tool suggestions [email protected] General 6 October 8th 07 04:32 AM
OLN special on TdF tonight? [email protected] Racing 2 July 31st 06 12:05 AM
FS: Park Tool Brake Third Hand Tool, $5 shipped Rob Barnes Marketplace 1 June 11th 04 03:11 AM
Special cassette removal tool that doesn't need a chain whip? Slacker Mountain Biking 11 December 11th 03 04:37 AM