Bicycle Theft increasing - UK film short

Old January 16th 12, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Bicycle Theft increasing - UK film short

Per Dan O:
I have trained many cats to stay off the kitchen table and counters -
"Get down from there!" Takes some consistency for reinforcement...

That's what we thought too.

But the real test is coming down to the kitchen at, say, 2 in the
morning..... -)

In our case it was clear that the cat knew not to get up on the
table - while one of us was in the room .....
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 16th 12, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
And I've heard of
house fires caused by their chewing electric wires.

Our phones went down some years back.

I finally found a place where some phone wires had their
insulation (chewed?) off - and insulation bits on the floor under
the wires.

I'm guessing mice.

Although once I found a mouse in an electrical switch receptacle,
I never thought about them chewing the insulation off of
electrical wires. Ouch!
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 16th 12, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Joy Beeson:
Zoomed down the first hill, dog ran out, I missed, but got past and
rode up the second hill, turned around, and took another pass. Another
attack, another mutual miss. After a while, the dog stopped getting
into range. I persisted -- I'd been putting up with that dog for a
*long* time. Eventually I rode past, the dog wearily lifted his head
from his paws, dutifully emitted a weak "broof", and went back to
sleep.

My experience - using Mark IV Mace - has been that I didn't need
to hit the animal. Just a whiff of the stuff seemed to make
them lose interest.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 16th 12, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Dan O wrote:

I don't know about you guys' training methods. I just call out, "Hi,
pooch!" - to let them know I'm their fellow. Never been bit or
knocked down yet.

I've never been bitten nor knocked down. But:

When he was about 10, my son was bitten on both legs while riding his
bike about a block from our house. The dog bit his right leg, my son
stopped, and the dog ran around the bike and bit his left leg. The
owner paid the doctor bills, but only after getting a letter from our
lawyer.

As previously described, my wife was biking for groceries when a very
large dog ran out and chased her. He bit the rear of the panniers and
tugged back on the bike. She got away, but was pretty scared.

Another biking friend of mine was riding with his toddler daughter in a
baby seat when a cute little puppy ran alongside yapping. It delighted
his daughter until it got under the front wheel and crashed the bike.

The same friend was later biking home from work when he was knocked off
his bike by a charging dog. (The local sheriff actually suggested he
pack a gun and kill the dog. Rural Georgia was a different culture,
believe me!)

A biking friend of ours who was also a marathoner always told his young
adult kids that the dogs that barked after them would not bite. But
then a doberman got his hamstring, hard. Next, his daughter got bitten
on a run. He changed his tune completely.

All those were in small-town or rural Georgia. Again, it's much more
civilized where I now live. But even so, we had one club member badly
bitten a few years ago, and I once avoided a crash only by jumping the
bike _over_ a small dog. So I take loose dogs seriously.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 16th 12, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Dan O:
I have trained many cats to stay off the kitchen table and counters -
"Get down from there!" Takes some consistency for reinforcement...

That's what we thought too.

But the real test is coming down to the kitchen at, say, 2 in the
morning..... -)

In our case it was clear that the cat knew not to get up on the
table - while one of us was in the room .....

My daughter's cat has that down pat, and she & her husband solved their
frustration only by giving up. We can't hear her silent leap onto the
counter, but we can hear her thump on the floor as we walk toward the
kitchen. Even an electronic cat-on-counter alarm gizmo failed to deter her.

This is the same cat that defeated the first three methods of keeping
the waste basket cabinet secure. With just a little more dexterity,
she'd be going through combination locks.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 16th 12, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:
PeteCresswell) wrote:
: Per Dan O:
: I have trained many cats to stay off the kitchen table and counters -
: "Get down from there!" Takes some consistency for reinforcement...
:
: That's what we thought too.
:
: But the real test is coming down to the kitchen at, say, 2 in the
: morning..... -)
:
: In our case it was clear that the cat knew not to get up on the
: table - while one of us was in the room .....

:My daughter's cat has that down pat, and she & her husband solved their
:frustration only by giving up. We can't hear her silent leap onto the
:counter, but we can hear her thump on the floor as we walk toward the
:kitchen. Even an electronic cat-on-counter alarm gizmo failed to deter her.

I've had luck with fly paper and sticky mouse traps.

:This is the same cat that defeated the first three methods of keeping
:the waste basket cabinet secure. With just a little more dexterity,
:she'd be going through combination locks.

Cats with thumbs. It's only a matter of time.

--
sig 112
Old January 16th 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 1/16/2012 3:19 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank wrote:
PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

My cat is smart enough to have taught himself how to use a toilet (but
not flush). He has also attempted to open doors, but can't get a grip on
the knobs. He's also smart enough to know better than to walk on tables,
counters or furniture. He's a very civilized creature.
Old January 16th 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ERSHC

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:19:41 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:My daughter's cat has that down pat, and she & her husband solved their
:frustration only by giving up. We can't hear her silent leap onto the
:counter, but we can hear her thump on the floor as we walk toward the
:kitchen. Even an electronic cat-on-counter alarm gizmo failed to deter her.

I've had luck with fly paper and sticky mouse traps.

:This is the same cat that defeated the first three methods of keeping
:the waste basket cabinet secure. With just a little more dexterity,
:she'd be going through combination locks.

Cats with thumbs. It's only a matter of time.

Had one. Sydney had 24 toes (6/foot) and on her front feet the 5th
(inner) pad was a bit seperated from the other 4. It would fold over
when she slept, and on a (very) few occasions I saw her with something
(e.g. string or paper) held between that extra toe and the rest of her
foot. Accident? Random occurance? I choose to think not!
==
eric
ershc
first a wall and then a crown
follow up and follow down
Old January 17th 12, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
This is the same cat that defeated the first three methods of keeping
the waste basket cabinet secure. With just a little more dexterity,
she'd be going through combination locks.

I used to disrespect our cat - calling it "Psycho" and thinking
of it as having a single-digit IQ.

My daughter-the-farmer put me straight - pointing out that cats
do "cat things" *really* well. Also saw a documentary a year or
so ago about cats that characterized them as the dry-land analog
of the great white shark - i.e. Nature's perfect killing
machine...
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 17th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
All those were in small-town or rural Georgia. Again, it's much more
civilized where I now live.

When I was working in center city Philadelphia, I used to take
noontime walks out towards the Art Museum and rowing clubs.

Soon discovered what the Philly cops has been telling people for
years: there are packs of wild dogs in Fairmount Park and they
attack people.

That's when I bought a few cans of Mark IV Mace and a couple of
trigger-type dispensers.
--
Pete Cresswell

Early bicycle theft [email protected] Techniques 0 January 12th 10 04:14 AM
Short film (with unicycle) for apple film festival - please rate! Jester2000 Unicycling 13 December 6th 06 09:59 PM
{CAN} Celluloid Cycles - Short Film fest Poiter Australia 0 June 7th 06 02:20 AM
Bicycle theft Leo Lichtman General 17 May 28th 06 11:14 PM
Bicycle Theft Detterent help UK 6 August 28th 03 11:32 AM