anti puncture , what is best?

Old February 19th 12, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default anti puncture , what is best?

On Feb 19, 3:31 am, M5usr wrote:
Gd morning

Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

Avoid debris.

Or rather, I like to know what works for you?

I am also looking for what gives the best rollings resistants performance.

I really like my Vittoria Randonneur Pros - don't have measured
performance, but they ride nice.

I know my question is broad , but I rather not make a bias by asking
about a particular product .

"Pump it up until you can feel it."

Old February 19th 12, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

M5usr wrote:
Gd morning

Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

Or rather, I like to know what works for you?

I am also looking for what gives the best rollings resistants performance.

I know my question is broad , but I rather not make a bias by asking
about a particular product .

Chris , Copenhagen

Panasonic Panaracer Pasela TG

or possibly Panaracer RiBMo TG but that's a stiffer casing,
not to everyone's taste.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 19th 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Feb 19, 10:06*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:31:15 +0100, M5usr wrote:
Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

Something to consider:
http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665045/soft-ride-bike-has-steel-tires-an...
The article claims that rolling resistance decreases with increased
speed. *I haven't tried it.

I haven't either, but I can hardly imagine riding those in anything
other than a straight line.
DR
Old February 19th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
gpsman

On Feb 19, 6:31*am, M5usr wrote:

I like to know what works for you?

I resorted to sets of 1.25" clinchers with excellent results compared
to 1-2 flats a day.

I am also looking for what gives the best rollings resistants performance..

Everything is a compromise.
-----

- gpsman
Old February 19th 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ERSHC

:

Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

Or rather, I like to know what works for you?

I am also looking for what gives the best rollings resistants performance.

I know my question is broad , but I rather not make a bias by asking
about a particular product .

Chris , Copenhagen

I seem to have nothing but old-tech answers, but I still ride with
Tire Savers (a.k.a. flint catchers). I used to ride tubulars in NYC,
now I commute on 700cx28s. I almost never get puncture flats, in
fact the last 3 flats were "old tube" flats (valve stem abrasion from
the edge of the hole in the rim), and that in the space of 8 or so years
at 50 mi/wk.

Yes, they rub the tire, but if set up correctly do very little to slow the
spin.

Old February 20th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Feb 19, 11:31*am, M5usr wrote:
Gd morning

Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

24mm training tubulars with tyre skimmers at about 80psi and stay out
the gutter and rarely ride in the wet.

Or rather, I like to know what works for you?

I am also looking for what gives the best rollings resistants performance..

It's a 2-ply tubular tyre, cold assembled with a flat seam. Tyre x-
section should match the rim's tyre bed and the two should be well
stuck together.

Old February 20th 12, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:46:26 -0800 (PST), DirtRoadie
wrote:

On Feb 19, 10:06*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:31:15 +0100, M5usr wrote:
Riding a racing bike for commute (700c x 25/28) , what is the best anti
puncture measures?

Something to consider:
http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665045/soft-ride-bike-has-steel-tires-an...
The article claims that rolling resistance decreases with increased
speed. *I haven't tried it.

I haven't either, but I can hardly imagine riding those in anything
other than a straight line.
DR

Well, one could just wrap a giant rubber band around the outside for
traction. A bit of overhang on the sides should help with cornering.
Maybe adding a big o-ring.

Hmmm.... 72 wing nuts per wheel.

Or, maybe something with more traction:
http://www.gearfuse.com/the-walking-bike-offers-a-helping-foot/
Now, I know what to do with my old shoes. Got a wheel in size 8 mens
shoes?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 20th 12, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Feb 19, 5:40*pm, kolldata wrote:
add foo

liners eat tubes. the overlap does it. expect an expensive pre slimed
throneproof, which is if not puncture proof, highly resistant, to go
with a indented tear area after 2000 miles ? not bad but always a
surprise. WTF happened to muh tube ?

Try trimming the band to length, gluing the ends together and latexing
in to the tyre. I know these things ward off thorns very well when
used in conjunction with a light tyre but you still have to be wary
about sidewall damage if you go that route.

Liners are extreme measures for hi plains people like Fogel who live
with the dreaded cactus goathead. Tourist Trash, edge of a garbage
dump, construction areas....got construction in a tourist area...gear
up.

my slime throneproof Spec dtory.
On my way to an appt., going down down down a NEW Fed Intercoastal
bridge on the Gulf Coast, wind at back doin' maybe 25, CLICK CLICK
CLICK
stopped on broad shoulder concrete to examine and golly gee there's a
ring shanked roofing nail complete with head washer rammed right thru
to rim.
I continued onward for 20 miles, changed tube 2 days later.
how's that for a recommend ? not racer spec, gram weenie

First puncture. Simon Mason[_2_] UK 1 October 30th 08 08:47 PM
Howard Stern doing talmud work - anti-gentile anti-family LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 0 March 20th 08 11:33 PM
anti-puncture strategies barry.webster3 UK 31 August 5th 04 10:06 AM
First puncture. Simon Mason UK 4 November 8th 03 08:38 PM
Puncture! Lee UK 9 September 18th 03 03:56 PM