1" quill fork replacement?

Old July 8th 06, 04:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default 1" quill fork replacement?

Hey guys, wrenchette is attempting to fix up her old giant steel HT for
college kid. The RST 1" quill fork is a total POS and I need a (cheap)
replacement. I already took it off so don't tell me to keep it. This is
going to be an around campus bike, if I'm really lucky he'll take it out on
a trail someday. But I digress. Where would I find such a thing? It just has
to be better that the 12# monster that was on it. ;-)

I've actually got a shopping list for this thing but it's pretty short. 9
speed cassette, new flat pedals, I think that's about it.

Penny

Old July 8th 06, 10:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

small change wrote:
Hey guys, wrenchette is attempting to fix up her old giant steel HT for
college kid. The RST 1" quill fork is a total POS and I need a (cheap)
replacement. I already took it off so don't tell me to keep it. This is
going to be an around campus bike, if I'm really lucky he'll take it out on
a trail someday. But I digress. Where would I find such a thing? It just has
to be better that the 12# monster that was on it. ;-)

I've actually got a shopping list for this thing but it's pretty short. 9
speed cassette, new flat pedals, I think that's about it.

Penny Check out Nashbar Omega T6 80mm fork 1'' streerer $124.99

Old July 8th 06, 04:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dean A. Stepper

wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...teerer+06.aspx

Old July 8th 06, 05:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

Default 1" quill fork replacement? ( project report)

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message
$124.99

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...teerer+06.aspx

Thanks everyone. When I went searching online last night, "1" quill fork"
wasn't bringing anything up.
I take it these 1" replacement forks use a threadless headset and not a
quill set up?

The issue for me is how much do I want to spend fixing up this bike for the
kid who says he hates mountain biking.** He wants the bike for around
campus, town... and who knows, he just might take it out on the trails...
being in Flagstaff and all. But, there's bike theft on campus too. Seems to
me Bomber fork might be a bright beacon in a sea of Huffys. He says he can
keep it in his room.

I'm amazed at what kind of parts I have laying around. The bike has a new
( old ) saddle that's quite a bit lighter, I'll be getting rid of the center
pull brakes. Thanks to an AMB buddy I was gifted with some nice XT v-brakes.
I've got an old stem around here that should (??) work if I go to a newer
style fork; the chain is not stretched at all (??) I've got some brand new
grips in the tool box, too. New grips are needed since I pulled off the old
school bar ends. I can't find the 9 speed cassette I thought I had - I think
it got disassembled for an art project. The crappy stock flat pedals have
to go, they are shin graters for sure. I checked the chain and it's not
stretched out all.

This is/was my first bike, and deserves a little TLC before going onto it's
next life. This is a perfect project bike. It's a Giant Sedona, back when
the frame was MTB and not comfort. My copy of Zinn is getting a good
workout.

trail. The above kid does a superman right into a mud puddle in classic
form: face and chest first, right into the mud. Mom and Dad have a really
good laugh, kids gets really ****ed off and swears to never go mountain
biking ever again.

Penny

Old July 8th 06, 07:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Slack

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 09:34:31 -0700, small change

River
trail. The above kid does a superman right into a mud puddle in classic
form: face and chest first, right into the mud. Mom and Dad have a really
good laugh, kids gets really ****ed off and swears to never go mountain
biking ever again.

Penny

Your son's sentiment on his first mtb ride mirrors my own. I think it was
the early 80's, a good friend of mine invited me to go riding with another
friend. I didn't have a bike, so he loaned me one. Full rigid, way too
big, and I think it was a ten speed with slightly fatter tires than road.
Every damn hill the chain would jump the front chain-ring and get jammed.
Both friends would get way ahead of me and I would almost get lost. I came
around one corner just cursing the bike, the ride, the forest, my
friends... when I heard some laughter off to the side. It was my two
"friends" having a blast torturing my ass.

I convinced myself that mtb bike technology wasn't up to the task back
then. Ended up GRS'ing several yhears later.

Hey, maybe that first mtb experience is what made me gravitate toward
DHing some 20 years later :-P
____
Slack
Old July 8th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Drew

"small change" wrote in message
Hey guys, wrenchette is attempting to fix up her old giant steel HT for
college kid. The RST 1" quill fork is a total POS and I need a (cheap)
replacement. I already took it off so don't tell me to keep it. This is
going to be an around campus bike, if I'm really lucky he'll take it out
on a trail someday. But I digress. Where would I find such a thing? It
just has to be better that the 12# monster that was on it. ;-)

I've actually got a shopping list for this thing but it's pretty short. 9
speed cassette, new flat pedals, I think that's about it.

Penny

Penny,
I have a Marzocci Z2 atom race ( 2002) in great condition which i no longer
use. Only XC riding, no jumps.
Was taken off my bike 1.5 yrs ago and is gathering dust.
Will something like this work for you?
Let me know and I can email you direct.

Drew

Old July 8th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Drew

"small change" wrote in message
Hey guys, wrenchette is attempting to fix up her old giant steel HT for
college kid. The RST 1" quill fork is a total POS and I need a (cheap)
replacement. I already took it off so don't tell me to keep it. This is
going to be an around campus bike, if I'm really lucky he'll take it out
on a trail someday. But I digress. Where would I find such a thing? It
just has to be better that the 12# monster that was on it. ;-)

I've actually got a shopping list for this thing but it's pretty short. 9
speed cassette, new flat pedals, I think that's about it.

Penny

OOPS, never mind, read closer and it seem you need a 1". mines a 1 1/8.
Doohhh!

Drew

Old July 8th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"Drew" wrote in message

"small change" wrote in message
Hey guys, wrenchette is attempting to fix up her old giant steel HT for
college kid. The RST 1" quill fork is a total POS and I need a (cheap)
replacement. I already took it off so don't tell me to keep it. This is
going to be an around campus bike, if I'm really lucky he'll take it out
on a trail someday. But I digress. Where would I find such a thing? It
just has to be better that the 12# monster that was on it. ;-)

I've actually got a shopping list for this thing but it's pretty short. 9
speed cassette, new flat pedals, I think that's about it.

Penny

OOPS, never mind, read closer and it seem you need a 1". mines a 1 1/8.
Doohhh!

thanks anyway. I'm checking around with all my local guys to see who has
something along those lines ( dust, cobwebs) with a 1" that they'd like to
find a home for.

Old July 10th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

small change wrote:
Hey guys, wrenchette is attempting to fix up her old giant steel HT for
college kid. The RST 1" quill fork is a total POS and I need a (cheap)
replacement. I already took it off so don't tell me to keep it. This is
going to be an around campus bike, if I'm really lucky he'll take it out on
a trail someday. But I digress. Where would I find such a thing? It just has
to be better that the 12# monster that was on it. ;-)

I've actually got a shopping list for this thing but it's pretty short. 9
speed cassette, new flat pedals, I think that's about it.

Penny

I converted a 1" quill stem to a standard 1-1/8 with a $20 part from
Performance made by topo.

Sounds like that might be what you need.

CDB

Old July 10th 06, 04:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
small change

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...

small change wrote:
Hey guys, wrenchette is attempting to fix up her old giant steel HT for
college kid. The RST 1" quill fork is a total POS and I need a (cheap)
replacement. I already took it off so don't tell me to keep it. This is
going to be an around campus bike, if I'm really lucky he'll take it out
on
a trail someday. But I digress. Where would I find such a thing? It just
has
to be better that the 12# monster that was on it. ;-)

I've actually got a shopping list for this thing but it's pretty short. 9
speed cassette, new flat pedals, I think that's about it.

Penny

I converted a 1" quill stem to a standard 1-1/8 with a $20 part from
Performance made by topo.

Sounds like that might be what you need.

CDB

and what part would that be? I suppose I could call...