RRR: Rainy Ride Report

Old July 10th 06, 05:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Default RRR: Rainy Ride Report

It hardy ever rains much here. When it does, it moves on quickly. Yeah,
right!

I had two groups of friends come to ride this weekend and we both got
some quality rain time in at Hartman's, which is pretty unusual.

First a couple of tele skiers came by on Friday evening. It's always
nice at Hartman's in the evening so we headed out around 6:00 despite
threatening clouds. As we climbed the first trail (Jack's) in a sprinkle
but then the rain just started coming down harder and harder. We ride a
little ways and then David's cleat screw fell out and that locked him
into his pedal. The poor guy had to take his shoe off to get off his
bike! That sealed the deal so we quickly turned back and called it quits.

Then Saturday morning GeeDubb met me at my house at 8:00. It's always
clear in the mornings, but this one was an exception. It was raining
steadily and had been all night. We were planning on doing Agate Creek
off the continental divide (Monarch Pass area). We drove up there to
meet Ride-A-Lot and a couple of Salida guys, Shawn and Tom. I was hoping
we'd get up above the rain but when we arrived at the summit it was
pretty clear that that wasn't going to happen. We chatted a bit, milled
around and then decided to try Hartman's back in Gunnison instead. It
was going to be wet, but Hartman's drains well so we figured it was
worth a shot. Tom and his friend had already climbed Old Monarch in the
rain, and they were done for the day. The rest of us decided to meet
back at my place and try for Hartman's. The weather looked like maybe it
was moving out while Garrison, Gary and I had breakfast in town as we
waited for Mitch and Shawn to get some things in Salida and then came to
meet us. After breakfast me all met up again just as the rain resumed!

With high hopes and low expectations we went to Hartman's and started
riding. We climbed up Jack's and made our way to Beck's. From there we
did Rocky Ridge to Broken Shovel to Skyline. All the time the rain was
increasing in intensity, but it wasn't very cold and the climbing kept
us (or me at least) pretty warm. Most of the trail surface was
decomposed granite and that was staying pretty nice in all that water. A
couple of spots had more soil-like conditions, and that was starting to
get muddy and slippery. The rocks were still riding well and after
seeing Garrison roll a drop I hadn't done in a while (making it look
really easy) I decided I had to give it a shot too. On the way down, as
I shifted way back my shorts snagged on my seat. I'm not sure exactly
what happened, but as I transitioned from the drop back to flat my bike
made a weird crack sound.

Here's a photo Shawn took as I came out of the move. Note the
self-destructing seat. I'm lucky I didn't get impaled (or worse)!
http://tinyurl.com/gd82z

A (titanium) rail sheared just behind the seat post clamp and the nose
of the saddle had separated from the rails.

So we had to stop and try to come up with a fix. First we moved the
clamp so it clamped the broken rail together. Then Garrison, who works
at a bike shop and had the good idea to use a tube and some zip ties
(from Shawn, I think - Thanks!) the secure it. Now I was getting a
little chilly!
http://tinyurl.com/fpygx

The resulting fix wasn't pretty or comfortable, but it was less likely
to sterilize me than removing the seat or leaving it all broken and jagged.
http://tinyurl.com/fbc4f

So from there we back tracked to the parking lot, playing on a fun
granite slab on the way. Things were a little too slippery to do a line
I wanted to play on, but we still had a little fun and watched young
Garrison try to overcome the lack of friction.

Then finally, we took our requisite group photo in the parking lot and
called it quits.
http://tinyurl.com/lxoko

So it wasn't all I had hoped for but it was fun. Good to see you again
Gary, and good to meet you Salida guys and Mitch finally too! Of course
now that it's Monday and I have to work it looks like the kind of day we
needed to ride Agate. Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Matt

Old July 10th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Craig Brossman

MattB wrote:
[...]

Bummer on the seat.
I had to totally bail on Gary and Mitch for Sunday, which was probably a
good thing. Even if we didn't have weather up there (and we would have)
it would have been very muddy, perhaps with more pushing than riding.

Never, never talk badly about rain in Colorado, you don't want to ****
off the rain gods.
There is no such thing as too much rain here, even when it keeps one off
the trails for nearly a week.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.
Old July 10th 06, 10:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Craig Brossman wrote:
MattB wrote:

It hardy ever rains much here. When it does, it moves on quickly.
Yeah, right!

snip

Bummer on the seat.

The seat was a bummer just because it cut the ride short (even if the
rain was about to do that anyway). That was the third bike that seat had
been on, so I think I got my money's worth. I just picked up a new WTB
Pure V as a replacement. Those WTB saddles fit me well and I don't want
to mess with something that works for me, especially when my junk is at
stake!

I had to totally bail on Gary and Mitch for Sunday, which was probably a
good thing. Even if we didn't have weather up there (and we would have)
it would have been very muddy, perhaps with more pushing than riding.

Yeah, I haven't heard from the guys I rode with on Friday, but they had
plans to ride some high stuff around Crested Butte for the rest of the
weekend. I wonder how all that went...
When we were at the top of Monarch making the decision, my young friend
Garrison really wanted to do it anyway. I made the call to not do it and
I still think it was the right choice. I never want to be that guy who
led a group of people (several of whom I had never ridden with) into a
wilderness disaster even though all the signs were there to help me
decide not to.

Never, never talk badly about rain in Colorado, you don't want to ****
off the rain gods.
There is no such thing as too much rain here, even when it keeps one off
the trails for nearly a week.

Indeed, as long as my life isn't floating away in flood waters, it's not
too much. Especially for Western Co. My only complaint about the rain
was the timing. Once I can get out when it's not raining, I'm sure the
conditions will be sweet and tacky. That combined with a full reservoir
and reduced fire danger makes it more than worthwhile.

Matt
Old July 11th 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

MattB wrote:
Craig Brossman wrote:

snip

I had to totally bail on Gary and Mitch for Sunday, which was probably
a good thing. Even if we didn't have weather up there (and we would
have) it would have been very muddy, perhaps with more pushing than
riding.

Yeah, I haven't heard from the guys I rode with on Friday, but they had
plans to ride some high stuff around Crested Butte for the rest of the
weekend. I wonder how all that went...
When we were at the top of Monarch making the decision, my young friend
Garrison really wanted to do it anyway. I made the call to not do it and
I still think it was the right choice. I never want to be that guy who
led a group of people (several of whom I had never ridden with) into a
wilderness disaster even though all the signs were there to help me
decide not to.

Good call. I think you said it at the top of Monarch, but one
mechanical or badish crash and it's hypothermia time, even with rain gear.
For those not there, the temp was in the mid 40s, nasty conditions to be
out sitting around waiting for search and rescue.

Indeed, as long as my life isn't floating away in flood waters, it's not
too much. Especially for Western Co. My only complaint about the rain
was the timing. Once I can get out when it's not raining, I'm sure the
conditions will be sweet and tacky. That combined with a full reservoir
and reduced fire danger makes it more than worthwhile.

Mitch and I rode on Friday (w/out rain) and, other than some small
washed out areas, the trails were excellent.

Shawn
Old July 11th 06, 01:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Shawn

MattB wrote:

Here's a photo Shawn took as I came out of the move. Note the
self-destructing seat. I'm lucky I didn't get impaled (or worse)!
http://tinyurl.com/gd82zN

Sorry I didn't get a picture with you coming off the rock. Forgot how
slow the shutter is in my old camera (the DSLR stayed home warm and dry).

So we had to stop and try to come up with a fix. First we moved the
clamp so it clamped the broken rail together. Then Garrison, who works
at a bike shop and had the good idea to use a tube and some zip ties
(from Shawn, I think - Thanks!) the secure it. Now I was getting a
little chilly!
http://tinyurl.com/fpygx

Gary had the good rescue gear. I've alreaddy put the zip ties in my
Camelback. Gotta remember duct tape too.

The resulting fix wasn't pretty or comfortable, but it was less likely
to sterilize me than removing the seat or leaving it all broken and jagged.
http://tinyurl.com/fbc4f

So from there we back tracked to the parking lot, playing on a fun
granite slab on the way. Things were a little too slippery to do a line
I wanted to play on, but we still had a little fun and watched young
Garrison try to overcome the lack of friction.

Nice to be young and imortal.

Then finally, we took our requisite group photo in the parking lot and
called it quits.
http://tinyurl.com/lxoko

So it wasn't all I had hoped for but it was fun. Good to see you again
Gary, and good to meet you Salida guys and Mitch finally too! Of course
now that it's Monday and I have to work it looks like the kind of day we
needed to ride Agate. Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Crest in September maybe?

Shawn

Old July 11th 06, 01:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
gabrielle

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:25:08 -0600, MattB wrote:

The resulting fix wasn't pretty or comfortable, but it was less likely to
sterilize me than removing the seat or leaving it all broken and jagged.
http://tinyurl.com/fbc4f

Whoa, that's quite the repair job.

Sounds like it was an "interesting" time. Great RR!

gabrielle

Old July 11th 06, 03:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Dean A. Stepper

Default Rainy Ride Report

"MattB" wrote in message
little ways and then David's cleat screw fell out and that locked him into
his pedal. The poor guy had to take his shoe off to get off his bike!

I did not read all the threads carefully, but some waterbottle cage bolts
work as spare cleat bolts.

Dean

Old July 11th 06, 03:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Shawn wrote:
MattB wrote:

Here's a photo Shawn took as I came out of the move. Note the
self-destructing seat. I'm lucky I didn't get impaled (or worse)!
http://tinyurl.com/gd82zN

Sorry I didn't get a picture with you coming off the rock. Forgot how
slow the shutter is in my old camera (the DSLR stayed home warm and dry).

No worries. That photo came out pretty cool anyway. Thanks for taking
one at all! I kept my camera packed away the whole time.

So we had to stop and try to come up with a fix. First we moved the
clamp so it clamped the broken rail together. Then Garrison, who works
at a bike shop and had the good idea to use a tube and some zip ties
(from Shawn, I think - Thanks!) the secure it. Now I was getting a
little chilly!
http://tinyurl.com/fpygx

Gary had the good rescue gear. I've alreaddy put the zip ties in my
Camelback. Gotta remember duct tape too.

I had duct tape not too long ago but it came out of the pack for some
reason or another and never made it back in. I guess I'll need to update
the kit again.

The resulting fix wasn't pretty or comfortable, but it was less likely
to sterilize me than removing the seat or leaving it all broken and
jagged.
http://tinyurl.com/fbc4f

So from there we back tracked to the parking lot, playing on a fun
granite slab on the way. Things were a little too slippery to do a
line I wanted to play on, but we still had a little fun and watched
young Garrison try to overcome the lack of friction.

Nice to be young and imortal.

Yeah, but here's the thing about Garrison. He's a two-time childhood
leukemia survivor. That's a big reason his dad is riding across the
country on a fixie - The Big Fix is a cancer fund raiser. He's an
amazing kid. I feel pretty lucky he wants to be my friend.

Then finally, we took our requisite group photo in the parking lot and
called it quits.
http://tinyurl.com/lxoko

So it wasn't all I had hoped for but it was fun. Good to see you again
Gary, and good to meet you Salida guys and Mitch finally too! Of
course now that it's Monday and I have to work it looks like the kind
of day we needed to ride Agate. Maybe we'll have better luck next time.

Crest in September maybe?

Sure. I may do it (or something big) next weekend too!

Matt
Old July 11th 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
"MattB" wrote in message

little ways and then David's cleat screw fell out and that locked him into
his pedal. The poor guy had to take his shoe off to get off his bike!

I did not read all the threads carefully, but some waterbottle cage bolts
work as spare cleat bolts.

Dean

Good thing to know! Thanks. We were close enough to home that we didn't
have to try and fix it in the rain.

Matt
Old July 11th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
BB

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:18:01 -0700, Dean A. Stepper wrote:

I did not read all the threads carefully, but some waterbottle cage bolts
work as spare cleat bolts.

Sort of. They tend to be too long (which means it protrudes into your
shoe, ouch!) and the head is too big (which can interfere with clipping
in). I've ridden a few miles that way, but it's not recommended.

I just carry two spare cleat bolts (apparently there are two common
lengths, so I carry one of each). It requires almost no room, after all.
It happened to one of my riding partners since then and it didn't
interfere with the ride because I had a spare.

Nice seat doctoring BTW, Matt!

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address