Headset dead spot?

Old April 2nd 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Williams

Default Headset dead spot?

[Note: Normally I would search the archives to find previous messages, but
the Google Advanced Groups Search no longer works. Is there another tool
for that?]

It seems that my front wheel steering has a "dead spot" such that the front
wheel wants to point straight ahead (like there is a detent). Is a headset
adjustment called for?

This is a Chris King threaded headset on a road bike.

thanks,
Craig

Old April 2nd 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:59:23 GMT, "Williams"
wrote:

[Note: Normally I would search the archives to find previous messages, but
the Google Advanced Groups Search no longer works. Is there another tool
for that?]

It seems that my front wheel steering has a "dead spot" such that the front
wheel wants to point straight ahead (like there is a detent). Is a headset
adjustment called for?

This is a Chris King threaded headset on a road bike.

thanks,
Craig

Dear Craig,

Most likely, your headset bearing races are pitted, with pits spaced
one ball apart.

It's a familiar problem known as indexed steering--the handlebar will
turn in small steps, as if indexed like a shift lever. It's exactly as
if there are the little detents that you describe because that's what
they are.

The fix is new bearings and races.

Here's an artificially dented headset:
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/brinell.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 2nd 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[Note: Normally I would search the archives to find previous messages, but
the Google Advanced Groups Search no longer works. Is there another tool
for that?]

It seems that my front wheel steering has a "dead spot" such that the front
wheel wants to point straight ahead (like there is a detent). Is a headset
adjustment called for?

This is a Chris King threaded headset on a road bike.

thanks,
Craig

Dear Craig,

Google Advanced Groups search seems to work.

Go he
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

Put in "indexed" for the text and rec.bicycles.tech for the group:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...008 &safe=off

Possibly you tried when Google was down briefly?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 2nd 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_170_]

Williams Wrote:
[Note: Normally I would search the archives to find previous messages,
but
the Google Advanced Groups Search no longer works. Is there another
tool
for that?]

It seems that my front wheel steering has a "dead spot" such that the
front
wheel wants to point straight ahead (like there is a detent). Is a
headset
adjustment called for?

This is a Chris King threaded headset on a road bike.

thanks,
Craig

10 co year waranty on Chris King headsets. If it it younger than 10
years For the an immediate answer, you may give customer and/or
technical service folks a call during normal business hours (8-5 on the
west coast.) at 800.523.6008 or 503.972.4050

--
daveornee

Old April 3rd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Craig Williams wrote:

[Note: Normally I would search the archives to find previous
messages, but the Google Advanced Groups Search no longer works. Is
there another tool for that?]

It seems that my front wheel steering has a "dead spot" such that
the front wheel wants to point straight ahead (like there is a
detent). Is a headset adjustment called for?

This is a Chris King threaded headset on a road bike.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/i...-steering.html

I think Google can find that one. Anyway, you might add that to your
favorites.

Jobst Brandt
Old April 3rd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour

On Apr 2, 7:01 pm, wrote:
Craig Williams wrote:
[Note: Normally I would search the archives to find previous
messages, but the Google Advanced Groups Search no longer works. Is
there another tool for that?]
It seems that my front wheel steering has a "dead spot" such that
the front wheel wants to point straight ahead (like there is a
detent). Is a headset adjustment called for?
This is a Chris King threaded headset on a road bike.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/i...-steering.html

I think Google can find that one. Anyway, you might add that to your
favorites.

Why did you object to the word Brinell in that article? The term
itself is not at fault, nor was the - not surprisingly uncredited - OP
in describing the problem. That is what indexed headsets refer to -
the only question is whether it is Brinelling due to excessive load or
ambient conditions.

To the OP: is there a single dead spot, or do you find other 'resting
spots' as you rotate the handlebars?

Old April 3rd 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

someone wrote:

[Note: Normally I would search the archives to find previous
messages, but the Google Advanced Groups Search no longer works.
Is there another tool for that?]

It seems that my front wheel steering has a "dead spot" such that
the front wheel wants to point straight ahead (like there is a
detent). Is a headset adjustment called for? This is a Chris
King threaded headset on a road bike.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/i...-steering.html

I think Google can find that one. Anyway, you might add that to
your favorites.

Why did you object to the word Brinell in that article? The term
itself is not at fault, nor was the - not surprisingly uncredited -
OP in describing the problem. That is what indexed headsets refer
to - the only question is whether it is Brinelling due to excessive
load or ambient conditions.

Brinell is a forceful indentation of a ball into a surface and it
leaves a shiny dimple the shape of the ball. Head bearing races are
eroded by fretting and have dimples that are neither shiny nor
spherical. They are causes by the balls rolling across their design
path in tiny excursions.

To the OP: is there a single dead spot, or do you find other
'resting spots' as you rotate the handlebars?

They occur at regular intervals, one ball space apart, but the
straight ahead one is largest because that is the position in which
this damage occurs.

The bearing balls in the front and rear of the head bearing leave
fretting impressions and I think the article explains that adequately.

Jobst Brandt

Old April 3rd 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:40:41 GMT, "Williams"
wrote:

I appreciate the quick replies. There is only one dead spot at dead center.

Craig

Dear Craig,

Indexing is still the most likely cause, but maybe you have something
out of the ordinary.

If you do end up replacing the headset, pictures of the races would
probably interest the usual suspects in the indexed-steering threads.

If pictures are too much fuss, you can email me and I'll be glad to
pay the postage and put up some pictures.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

slipping chain at same spot (and only that spot) Maurice W UK 5 June 3rd 07 09:49 AM
Integrated Headset Fork on Standard Headset C.H. Luu Techniques 3 September 7th 06 07:11 PM
Spot the unicycle cathwood Unicycling 4 December 23rd 05 03:23 AM
Advertise on TV only $30 for 30 second spot! [email protected] General 0 May 27th 05 07:58 PM
Headset Dead Spot marc UK 4 August 26th 03 04:58 PM