wind techniques ??

Old April 20th 04, 01:37 AM
David Reuteler

Default wind techniques ??

Ken wrote:
Wind + hills = great training.

heh. when the wind is bad around here i head to the hills. well, when the
wind is down i head to the hills, too, but hills are cake compared to the
wind. no nice views nor sense of accomplishment and fewer bragging rights.
no one ever brags of crossing south dakota .. but ch-rist .. they probably
should.
--
david reuteler

Old April 20th 04, 01:53 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

If you're with someone else, take turns drafting. If not, then all you
can do is hunker down and fight the wind (or stay overnight and hope
it's gone tomorroy ;-3) ).

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old April 20th 04, 03:58 AM
Tspoon

I'm on my way :-)

trg wrote:

Move to Denmark. There's always a tailwind. It's the law. We'll not quite,
but a politician there got elected on a campaign platform of better gifts at
Xmas and a perpetual tailwind for cyclists (a very popular position given
the large number of cyclists and windy conditions in the west of the
country) . I think using the money supplied by the state to run his campaign
in order to bribe the voters with free beer and sausages probably helped his
election effort too.

Ravi wrote:

Hi,
Am a 'weekend rider' and last weekend, was on Altamont Pass Road.
heading to Tracy (from livermore) was *beautiful* - tail wind,
downhill. After lunch at Tracy, return was *painful* - headwind and a
slight uphill. i was on the dropbars, in an aerodynamic position, but
how-long - i couldn't stay there for long - every so often, i get
back on hoods, it was tough, and in some points when i wanted to
standup and pedal, forget it - it was the toughest point - wind
hitting my entire body, slowed me down further than speed up -
this is my maiden experience with wind this strong.

any tips your folks got for tackling the wind.

thanks,
ravi

Old April 20th 04, 05:29 AM
Eric S. Sande

any tips your folks got for tackling the wind.

Not much to tell except that crosswinds on a loaded bike are the worst.

Normally where I live we get northwest winds, I go west on my way to
work and east with a jog to the north on my way home.

The buildings funnel the wind in exactly the wrong way, all I can say
is stay aero and spin. If you have a problem staying in the drops
raise the bars to where you get an average improvement.

On long rides anything you can do to get aero is good, a snug windshell
will help. You don't want anything flapping or snapping in the breeze.

On a long crosswind leg be aware that an overtaking vehicle can block
the crosswind for a second or so, don't overcompensate when that
happens.

Be aware that riding in a strong wind will suck the sweat right off
you, definitely drink more.

If it's cold, watch that exposed skin, even if it's hot--sunburn and
dehydration can wreck your complexion.

When you feel your lips start to dry out and crack it's time to watch
"Lawrence of Arabia", the director's cut.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old April 20th 04, 05:41 AM
Max

Ravi wrote:

any tips your folks got for tackling the wind.

I find it helpful to decide to stop being concerned with my speed and
just concentrate on a sustainable cadence. Click up a couple of gears
or whatever it takes, and just pedal.

A couple of mentions: you need Good eye protection on windy days, (trust
that this is a relevation to somone). WEAR IT.

Bring an extra bottle of water and an extra snack maybe.

Don't look at your speedometer -- i set my computer to just show cadence
and time. OR put a sticker or tape ofer the speed display.

Find a _sustainable_ aero position. A full tuck is nice, but not for 20
or 120 miles.

Finally -- just take your mind out of the wind -- don't stress about how
%$@%^& you're crawling, just pedal and think of ... the cleverly worded
post you'll write for wreck.bikes, detailing your Sissyphusian struggle
against the wind, enjoy the scenery two feet to your right, yadda.

So really, the advice is what i was told on my first ragbrai, when faced
with my first Real Hill. "Just Shut Up and Pedal" :-) Don't worry
about the wind. You're there, you'll prevail, it's only a matter of
time.

I remember one day out in the roads west of Chicago, Kane and DeKalb
counties, in Corn Country, about this time of year. 5 hours into the
wind with strong transvese buffets that kept trying to throw me either
into the barbed wire filled ditch or at the grill of a 1973 Chevy
Pickup.

I looked after i stopped to turn around, an average speed of 5.2 mph and
i was beat down tired. A hot dog and some RC cola (what the locals ate)
charged me up enough that I did the return trip in 52 minutes. just shy
of 30 mph and it felt as though my bike was welded to the road.

My speed had given me a brobdignagian momentum normally achieved
through jumping off buildings, but mine was controlled via the
instrumentality of my Trek1220 which shrugged-off the now feeble
gusting wheezes of the morning. this last furor broke the winds's spirt
they declared defeat offered to serve and propelled me into town with
nary a pedal stroke from me.

So the real secrit is to Dominate the Wind with a Pure Soul and some
other stuff you can get at Nashbar.

..max
and that's how i became Wind Breaker.

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
Old April 20th 04, 06:03 AM
frkrygow

Mike Kruger wrote:
Good advice. One last thing: cover the bike computer.

Good advice there, too. I can remember long hours of looking down and
seeing "8 MPH" ... "8 MPH" ... "8 MPH"

Very disheartening.

(Under more normal circumstances, I sometimes reach double digits. ;-)

--
-------------+
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

Old April 20th 04, 08:36 PM
Dane Jackson

Zoot Katz wrote:

It's an endless test of character.

No thanks, my closet is already filled with the boxes of character I've
built up.

Screaming, ranting and crying wastes more energy than aero-rims save.
Zip up, tuck in your elbows, grin and know it's making you stronger.

Pretty much. Took the looong way into work today (35 miles). I was
regretting it a little when from about mile twelve onward I had a fairly
good headwind. The Eclair Basque I'd picked up from the bakery [1] on
the way in was a nice reward though when I got to work.

Give thanks and acknowledgement to the tail winds you do get.

Our Father, who art in velodrome, Hallowed be thy chain.
Thy raceday come.
Thy miles be done, On roadside as it is in velodrome.
Give us this day our daily winds.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from recumbents.
For thine is the velodrome,
and the tailwinds,
and the yellow jersey,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

[1] Essential Baking on Madison. Very nice, but I think I prefer
Le Fournil over by the university bridge.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Bill Gates says Open Source is riding on the coat-tails of Windows'
Old April 21st 04, 01:06 AM
Claire Petersky

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

Give thanks and acknowledgement to the tail winds you do get.

Our Father, who art in velodrome, Hallowed be thy chain.
Thy raceday come.
Thy miles be done, On roadside as it is in velodrome.
Give us this day our daily winds.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from recumbents.
For thine is the velodrome,
and the tailwinds,
and the yellow jersey,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

I only knew the Mountain bikers' Version:

Our Father, which art in Moab,
Mountain Bike be Thy name.
To Thy trailheads we come,
Thy maintenance be done,
On fire road
As it is on singletrack.
Give us this day our daily ride,
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those that trespass on us.
And lead us not onto illegal singletrack,
But deliver us from equestrians;
For thine is the lycra,
The SPD,
And the knobby, forever,
Amen.

Oh, and just because I'm feeling ecumenical, how about the Cyclists'
Kaddish?

May the great road be debris-free and smooth
in the world that He created as He willed.
May the bicycle reign over the road in your lifetimes and in your days,
and in the lifetimes of the entire Family of Cyclists
swiftly and soon. And we say: Amen.

May all our rides be blessed forever and ever.

Blessed, praised, glorified, exalted, extolled,
mighty, upraised, and lauded be all our rides on our bikes, blessed they be

for any short spin and long-distance event,
race and commute that are pedaled in the world. And we say Amen.

May there be abundant bars from the Clif company, and gels
for us and for all cyclists. And we say: Amen.

He Who makes traffic peaceful in the heavens, may He make traffic peaceful
for us here,
and for all cyclists. And we say: Amen.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old April 21st 04, 02:06 AM
Jacobe Hazzard

trg wrote:
Move to Denmark. There's always a tailwind. It's the law. We'll not
quite, but a politician there got elected on a campaign platform of
better gifts at Xmas and a perpetual tailwind for cyclists (a very
popular position given the large number of cyclists and windy
conditions in the west of the country) . I think using the money
supplied by the state to run his campaign in order to bribe the voters
with free beer and sausages probably helped his election effort too.

Free beer and sausages is a more legitimate use of campaign money than
most. At least the people saw some of the benefits eh?

Too bad I don't drink beer or eat sausages. Or live in Denmark. Otherwise
it could have been good.