waterproof cycling jacket

Old April 23rd 04, 04:17 PM
OughtFour

Default waterproof cycling jacket

bpr wrote:
* Detachable hood
* Underarm zippers
* Front pockets
* Rear pockets
* Built-in pouch to store jacket (with waist strap)

My new jacket comes with a "rain tail." It deploys down from the back over
the seat, keeping it (and my butt) dry in wet weather. (Normally it is
velcroed out of sight inside the jacket.)

It seems like a good idea (especially since I do not have fenders to heep
the splatter off my back), though I haven't had occasion to try it out yet.

Old April 23rd 04, 04:37 PM
Steve Knight

There is no such thing as a waterproof cycling jacket in which you can also
cycle comfortably.
You must either accept to get wet from the rain from the outside or accept
to get wet from the inside from your transpiration (like when using a
plastic bag).

My burley did pretty good. If I did not have my backpack on it would have been
great. but that was at temps of 55 and below.any warmer and I usually don't use
a jacket. but it did not have a hood so my neck always got wet.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old April 24th 04, 05:55 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:51:32 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

The 25 bux for the rain cape is, for me, a better investment
than a hi-tech fabric jacket.

they're useless if it rains a lot, or if it's very windy.

Old April 24th 04, 06:16 AM
Steve Knight

i recommend the burley rainsuit. waterproof, rugged, good
ventilation. it's the choice of cyclists here in Rain
Country(tm).

http://www.burley.com/products/raingear/default.aspx

On dealing with rain, listen to our friends from the Pacific Northwest!

yep (G) ventilation is the real key the more the better. last years burley coat
had breast vents too. I really like it. I just vary what I wear under it to keep
from getting too hot. the only reason I would sweat was from my backpack on top
of it.
portland oregon home of liquid sunshine.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old April 24th 04, 03:10 PM
David

In article , bpr
wrote:

I need to buy a waterproof (not just windproof) cycling jacket. My
preference is to get Gortex since I've never found any of the
waterproof knock-offs to be as effective. So I was wondering if
anyone has a recommendation for a good Gortex cycling jacket.

I have found that Goretex always breath better than Ultrex, Texapore
or Entrant GII and other breathable waterproof fabric.
While Goretex maybe waterproof, you probably need to expect some
dampness since the fabric will not be quick to vent with high aerobic
exercise, like climbing a hill with your bike.
So what to do??

I own 3 rain jackets. For really bad downpour in the winter months of
the wet coast of Vancouver, I use a Goretex jacket and will try to
maintain my cadence so that, I don't sweat profusely. For spring and
summer time, I use a lighter nylon jacket that has a coating of DWR
(Durable Water Repellent) and that works great. Both of these jackets
have underarm zippers and back vents built-in, which I considered them
essential, especially when I sweat easily. I am now experimenting with
an Arcteryx Gamma SV softshell jacket for wet and snowy winter riding
this year and it is so far the best warm and breatheable jacket. This
jacket is by no means waterproof, but it is very water resistant and it
is also damn breatheable, much more so than my 3 ply Goretex. I never
felt wetter in this jacket than with my Goretex, which I consider the
next best thing and it is super wind resistant, just like my pair of
Aerotex gloves!

Also, do you think these features are needed in a waterproof cycling
jacket:

* Detachable hood

This is not necessary. There is an accessory available from Sugoi,
Pearl Izumi and MEC that is made of Goretex and goes on to cover the
vent holes of your helmet to make it waterproof. This is more ideal
than the jacket hood since it gives you full side to side vision -- a
must if you need to ride in heavy traffic.

* Underarm zippers

YES, for me.. Also a plus is the back vent and a pair of thumb knots.
Remember that if you don't have thumb knots, these vents are useless!!
The thumb knots allow air to be scooped in from under your wrist and
the gets circulated and out these vents. Most people use their Goretex
jackets without the thumb knots and wondered why the jackets don't
breath!

* Front pockets

Front hidden pockets are useful, especially to store your keys and
money.

* Rear pockets

I do have it on my jacket. I usually store a couple of powerbars, but
when it rains, it interferes with my back vent and I don't like that.

* Built-in pouch to store jacket (with waist strap)

It depends on how many ply Goretex you are buying. Typically cheapee 2
ply jackets are foldable. The good 3 ply ones are not as easily
foldable, but these are the ones to get if you want quality and
durability. But, if you are not planning to always cycle in a heavy
downpour -- just enough to find shelter -- you might want to consider
getting yourself a softshell. Softshell jackets are nice, form fitting
and the newer ones are very super water resistant, warm and way more
breatheable than Goretex.
Old April 24th 04, 03:13 PM
David

In article uXVhc.4397$aQ6.527723@attbi_s51, Peter Cole
wrote:

* Rear pockets

I have these on one jacket, they have a tendency to fill with water when it
rains.

Good Goretex cycling jackets have these as standard equipment.

1, Rear pocket or pockets with seam taped and laminated zippers for
ultimate water proofness.

2, Rear pocket or pockets come with a rain hood with a drawstring to
keep rain out.

Most Goretex cycling jackets I considered these days are just junk.
More are concerned about flashy looks and foldability rather than on
weather performance.
Old April 24th 04, 03:19 PM
David

In article , Dennis P.
Harris wrote:

On 22 Apr 2004 08:05:30 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc,
(bpr) wrote:

I need to buy a waterproof (not just windproof) cycling jacket. My
preference is to get Gortex since I've never found any of the
waterproof knock-offs to be as effective. So I was wondering if
anyone has a recommendation for a good Gortex cycling jacket.

if you want *waterproof* don't buy goretex! in windy situations,
the seams *will* leak.

i recommend the burley rainsuit. waterproof, rugged, good
ventilation. it's the choice of cyclists here in Rain
Country(tm).

http://www.burley.com/products/raingear/default.aspx

Again.. People seemed to make an outright false and unsubstantiated
claims. A good and properly made Goretex cycling jacket has *ALL* the
seams taped. Another feature that made Arcteryx brand so famous is
laminated zippers, found only on top end jackets and some panniers made
by Arkel. When both are combined, the jacket won't leak.

The problem is, Goretex jackets are hard to sell nowadays, unlike when
it was introduced in the early 80s. Everybody seemed to have one and
if they are properly cared for, last a long time. So, some companies I
found cut corners to make the jackets "cheaper" and thus give the good
name Goretex a bad name.
Old April 24th 04, 03:34 PM
David

However, I don't think Goretex is of much value for cycling. It doesn't
breathe
enough to make a difference. You'll be just as sweaty as with a vinyl
raincoat.
A better solution is a totally waterproof (and cheaper) fabric with big vents,
such as...

It also depends on whether the jacket itself have the supplied thumb
knots or not and if the user of the jacket is using them properly.

Most jackets don't come with thumb knots, but they are essential in
making the jacket breath better in high aerobic exercises.

When used properly, they allow openings underneath both of your wrists
and these served as air ducts. As you cycle, air gets scooped into
these ducts and circulate around your body, carrying body heat away and
then out the supplied vents (underarm and back). The more vents, the
better the circulation. If the circulation is too much, adjust the
vents' opening.

Unfortunately, most people just velcro these up, so how do you figure
air is going to circulate inside your jacket?? Essentially, your
jacket becomes an oven and thus the feeling of dampness from your
sweat. Opening these vents up just serve no purpose whatsoever.

Venting does a fine job to a certain point, but I cycle in the wet
coast of Vancouver and I sweat profusely, my Goretex jacket has never
failed me. I also used it on the Queen Charlotte Islands, world's rank
#2 as being the wettest and survived.

LAB? David L. Johnson General 171 April 3rd 04 09:13 PM
Age doesn't stop 70-somethings who are cycling devotees Garrison Hilliard General 5 March 22nd 04 04:56 AM
PowerOn Cycling brings Tampa to Mayors Ride Music & Excitement National Bicycle Greenway General 0 February 18th 04 05:31 PM
Cycling splintered on Usenet [email protected] General 41 February 9th 04 02:54 AM
Cycling is dangerous Garry Jones General 375 November 21st 03 05:52 PM