Carbon Fibre Road Frames are Delicate? Tell that 2 this guy

Old September 22nd 12, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Carbon Fibre Road Frames are Delicate? Tell that 2 this guy

Just sorting some old bookmarks and saw this one. Amazing what this guy does with a carbon fibre road bike with Dura Ace groupset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Cheers
Old September 22nd 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 21, 7:05*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just sorting some old bookmarks and saw this one. Amazing what this guy does with a carbon fibre road bike with Dura Ace groupset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Cheers

Yeah, that's one of Frank's friends who told the local shop he was
looking for something "versatile" and got suckered the standard
"BUYCYCLING" upsell.
Frank didn't get to him in time. At least we have some documentation.
And it appears the guy may not have not had enough left to afford the
proper pedals.
Maybe I could help him out a bit by sending him one of my old sets of
Lyotard Mod. 23's. I think it would help him improve his skills and
get over his obvious lack of confidence.
DR
Old September 22nd 12, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Just sorting some old bookmarks and saw this one. Amazing what this guy does with a carbon fibre road bike with Dura Ace groupset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

You didn't see the outtakes.

Lest we forget:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/trekaggr.jpg

Like Eight Belles, such bikes are good at limited kinds of performance
(and really good at separating fools from money), but in the end they
disappoint.

Chalo
Old September 22nd 12, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Chalo wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Just sorting some old bookmarks and saw this one. Amazing what this guy does with a carbon fibre road bike with Dura Ace groupset.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

You didn't see the outtakes.

Lest we forget:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/trekaggr.jpg

Like Eight Belles, such bikes are good at limited kinds of performance
(and really good at separating fools from money)...

And for generating comments implying that because one man can use that
bike to do those tricks, one should never advise against buying such a bike.

Come to think of it, why doesn't that "logic" apply to the guy's choice
of shoes, clearly shown at 0:35 in the video?

Nonetheless, the acrobatics are amazing. I do admire the skill.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 22nd 12, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
You didn't see the outtakes.
Lest we forget:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/trekaggr.jpg
Like Eight Belles, such bikes are good at limited kinds of performance
(and really good at separating fools from money), but in the end they
disappoint.

I've got mo
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CRASH.JPG

but in fairness the series spans all extant frame materials.

c.f.
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 22nd 12, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Chalo wrote:

You didn't see the outtakes.

Lest we forget:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/trekaggr.jpg

Like Eight Belles, such bikes are good at limited kinds of performance

(and really good at separating fools from money), but in the end they

disappoint.

I've got mo

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CRASH.JPG

but in fairness the series spans all extant frame materials.

c.f.

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/000.html

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Something I and some of my buddys wonder about the supposed delicacy of carbon frame bikes. Ifthey are so delicate why do you see riders remounting them after crashing in a grand tour? Surely those riders aren't that willing to risk serious bodily injury and possible a career ending one by riding a suspect bike? These guys and ladies ride a previously crashed frame at some pretty respectable speeds too. Has carbon fibre gotten an undeserved poor reputation?

Cheers
Old September 23rd 12, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Chalo wrote:

[...]

See
http://pelotonmagazine.com/Wisdom/co...ction-Part-III
for a rather good explanation of the advantages and disadvantages of
carbon fiber as a frame making material.

--
Cheers,
John B.
Old September 23rd 12, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Chalo wrote:

[...]

Poor reputation? Only from a couple of guys here. On this side of the
pond 95% of the new roadbikes is CF. The installed base is enormous and
yet I don't see CF frames break more than Steel frames in the old days,
in which these guys still living. Hell even crossbikes and ATB are more
and more made from CF. Like I said before a 1800 gr CF frame is much
stronger than a 1800 gr steel frame. Indeed CF is not a good idea for a
commuter bike which get jammed in a bike rack every day of tossed in the
back of a pick up truck.

Lou
Old September 24th 12, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 2:17:01 AM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:

On this side of the

pond 95% of the new roadbikes is CF. The installed base is enormous and

yet I don't see CF frames break more than Steel frames in the old days,

in which these guys still living. Hell even crossbikes and ATB are more

and more made from CF. Like I said before a 1800 gr CF frame is much

stronger than a 1800 gr steel frame. Indeed CF is not a good idea for a

commuter bike which get jammed in a bike rack every day of tossed in the

back of a pick up truck.

A CF frame might be a good idea for a racer looking for minimum bike weight, willing to treat the bike very carefully, and willing to dispose of the frame - or sell it it someone who was ignorant of its history - within a couple years. People like that would be likely to want the latest Shimano group anyway, because you _gotta_ keep up with the latest technology, right?

OTOH, it's a much worse idea for a person who wants a bike that can withstand the normal bumps and bruises that afflict any bike used for practical transportation.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 24th 12, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Sep 23, 9:09*pm, wrote:
[...]

Someone who should know better (but never does) is making an
inaccurate generalization by confusing a "material" with the
particular design characteristics and/or compromises which might be
chosen for a type of bicycle.
Bumps and bruises?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs
DR

How To Buy a New Carbon Fibre For The Giro :) [email protected] Techniques 0 January 13th 09 06:23 PM
More Carbon Fibre SteveA Australia 1 April 19th 06 10:37 AM
FS: carbon fibre road/race bike stem Ian UK 0 January 28th 05 09:15 PM
Threaded one inch carbon fibre road fork $45 Donald R ORourke Marketplace 0 November 29th 04 09:08 PM
Caring for Carbon Fibre Frames Jason Parkes Australia 2 November 15th 04 05:31 AM