A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cyclist left 'bloody mess' by laughing passenger who shoved him offbike in drive-by attack

Old August 15th 20, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

Default Cyclist left 'bloody mess' by laughing passenger who shoved him offbike in drive-by attack

UTTER SCUM
QUOTE:
A cyclist is "seeking his own justice" after being left a "bloody mess" when he was shoved into the rear window of a parked car.

Gavin Lacy was riding along St Georges Road at around 2.15pm on Friday afternoon when he heard someone shout ‘oi oi’ from the window of a passing car.

Mr Lacy says he was pushed by the passenger into the back of a parked car before crashing through the rear window.

He said: “I have done a night shift and wanted to sleep. I finished at 7am. I’d been running around for payday trying to juggle money and was on my way home.

“I was biking home when a car came past and someone shouted ‘oi oi’ and shoved me from the passenger window.

“I went into the back of a parked car and through the rear window. I’m a bit of a mess for it.”

Mr Lacy, a carer, suffered muscle damage to his left arm and right leg as a result, as well as several cuts.

Covered in blood, he managed to get himself home and cleaned up.

“My mouth and left arm are a real mess from cuts,” he said.“There’s muscle damage to my left arm and right leg.

“There was a lot of blood. I used a towel to soak it up. I’m angry and sore.

"I have had a message from a witness who said they drove off laughing."

Mr Lacy, of St Georges Road, posted pictures of his injuries on Facebook appealing for witnesses saying “I’m now seeking my own justice”.

Anyone with information should contact Humberside Police using the non-emergency 101 number.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...attack-4428487
Ads
Old August 15th 20, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

Default Cyclist left 'bloody mess' by laughing passenger who shoved him off bike in drive-by attack

On 15/08/2020 21:54, Simon Mason wrote:

UTTER SCUM

That's a bit harsh. He does sound a bit "dazed and confused" - after
all, what can "I’d been running around for payday trying to juggle money
and was on my way home" actually mean? - but he might be telling the
truth as he remembers it.

QUOTE:
A cyclist is "seeking his own justice" after being left a "bloody mess" when he was shoved into the rear window of a parked car.

Gavin Lacy was riding along St Georges Road at around 2.15pm on Friday afternoon when he heard someone shout ‘oi oi’ from the window of a passing car.

Mr Lacy says he was pushed by the passenger into the back of a parked car before crashing through the rear window.

He said: “I have done a night shift and wanted to sleep. I finished at 7am. I’d been running around for payday trying to juggle money and was on my way home.

“I was biking home when a car came past and someone shouted ‘oi oi’ and shoved me from the passenger window.

“I went into the back of a parked car and through the rear window. I’m a bit of a mess for it.”

Mr Lacy, a carer, suffered muscle damage to his left arm and right leg as a result, as well as several cuts.

“My mouth and left arm are a real mess from cuts,” he said.“There’s muscle damage to my left arm and right leg.

Mr Lacy, of St Georges Road, posted pictures of his injuries on Facebook appealing for witnesses saying “I’m now seeking my own justice”.

Anyone with information should contact Humberside Police using the non-emergency 101 number.

I wonder who will be liable for what sounds like considerable damage to
the parked car?
Old August 16th 20, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster

Default Cyclist left 'bloody mess' by laughing passenger who shoved himoff bike in drive-by attack

On Saturday, 15 August 2020 23:31:18 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

UTTER SCUM

QUOTE:

the parked car?

Agreed, cyclists should ride well clear of parked cars but then they will be accused of 'cycling in the middle of the road' and subject to assault with a deadly weapon by 'road tax' paying motorvehiclists.
If you chose to leave your personal possessions obstructing public roads you should accept responsibility for any damage that may accidentally occur.

Old August 16th 20, 02:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

Default Cyclist left 'bloody mess' by laughing passenger who shoved himoff bike in drive-by attack

On 16/08/2020 01:37, Mike Collins wrote:

UTTER SCUM

QUOTE:

the parked car?

Agreed, cyclists should ride well clear of parked cars but then they will be accused of 'cycling in the middle of the road' and subject to assault with a deadly weapon by 'road tax' paying motorvehiclists.
If you chose to leave your personal possessions obstructing public roads you should accept responsibility for any damage that may accidentally occur.

There's no imperative to stay away from parked cars. I don't do so when
driving and I have never hit a suddenly-opened door. All we need is for
everyone to *watch* where they are *going*. As a tactic, it's almost
foolproof.
Old August 16th 20, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, August 16, 2020 at 1:37:15 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
If you chose to leave your personal possessions obstructing public roads you should accept responsibility for any damage that may accidentally occur..

Agreed - look at the carnage this (now deceased) driver caused in ONE incident.

QUOTE:
Woman arrested after pickup truck crash in Hull street is found dead.

A woman arrested after a pickup truck crashed into several cars in a west Hull street two days ago has been found dead.

Humberside Police confirmed they were called to an address in Anlaby on Thursday evening after receiving reports of concerns for a woman’s safety.

Emergency services attended the address where the woman was found dead.

The woman was arrested earlier this week after police were called to a road traffic collision in De La Pole Avenue after a Nissan Nivara pickup truck “hurtled” down the street crashing into several parked cars before landing on its roof.

The 45-year-old was released from police custody as officers continued to investigate the incident.

Her death is not being treated as suspicious.

Superintendent Simon Gawthorpe said: "A report of concern for safety was received for a woman in Anlaby, Hull, at 6.35pm yesterday.

“Emergency services attended and the woman was found deceased. Her death is not being treated as suspicious and a file is being prepared for the Coroner.

“Officers had been in contact with the woman earlier this week in connection to a road traffic collision.

“In line with force policy regarding death after prior police contact, our Professional Standards Department have thoroughly reviewed our actions and contact with the woman.

“No concerns have been raised in regards to either incident and there is no requirement for a referral to the IOPC in this case.”

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...t-dead-4426612
Old August 16th 20, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins
external usenet poster

On Sunday, 16 August 2020 02:14:09 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

UTTER SCUM

QUOTE:

"I have had a message from a witness who said they drove off laughing.."

the parked car?

driving and I have never hit a suddenly-opened door

But what if someone does open a door into your path? In a car you will be safe, on a bike you will be hurt. Surely it is better to stay clear of the door zone? A lot of modern cars have sliding doors, maybe this should be compulsory.

.. All we need is for
foolproof.

Exactly, thanks for your support.

Old August 16th 20, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, 16 August 2020 at 02:14:09 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

UTTER SCUM

QUOTE:

"I have had a message from a witness who said they drove off laughing.."

the parked car?

foolproof.

I assume you have only the legal minimum 3rd party insurance on your car. Why bother insuring against things like fire or theft when you have never had a car catch fire or be stolen.
Old August 16th 20, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

On 16/08/2020 18:47, Mike Collins wrote:
On Sunday, 16 August 2020 02:14:09 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

UTTER SCUM

QUOTE:

the parked car?

driving and I have never hit a suddenly-opened door

But what if someone does open a door into your path?

When that happens, I either avoid the door by moving out or, if that is
not possible - and sometimes it isn't - I *stop*!

Got that? *Stop*!

It isn't beneath my dignity, so it certainly isn't beneath yours.

In a car you will be safe, on a bike you will be hurt.

Only if the cyclist does not take whatever avoiding action is necessary
(perhaps being keen not to reduce average speed for some silly reason).

Surely it is better to stay clear of the door zone?

That isn't always - or in some locations, even usually - possible.
But it always possible to watch where you're going and to proceed at
such a speed that you can stop within the distance you can see to be
clear and to maintain a sharp lookout for what's happening up ahead
rather than what's beneath the front wheel.

This, I suggest, is the difference between drivers and (many) cyclists.

How else could it be that someone like me, having driven over a million
miles in less than fifty years, has never even come close to hitting a
statinary vehicle's opening door whilst avoiding that very situation
seems to be next to impossible for cyclists (or at least, it is
according to people like you)?

A lot of modern cars have sliding doors, maybe this should be compulsory.

I fully agree that sliding doors should be made compulsory - because it
would remove (over a period of years) the risk of side damage in
car-parks. But it isn't an immediate panacea.

All it would do on the road, though, is to allow cyclists to be even
less careful than they currently are because only other humans would be
at risk.

. All we need is for
foolproof.

Exactly, thanks for your support.

Spread the word to cyclists, especially the ones who think they're too
cool to sit up straight, look ahead and watch where they're going.

Old August 16th 20, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]
external usenet poster

Default Cyclist left 'bloody mess' by laughing passenger who shoved him off bike in drive-by attack

On 16/08/2020 19:13, wrote:
On Sunday, 16 August 2020 at 02:14:09 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

UTTER SCUM

QUOTE:

the parked car?

foolproof.

I assume you have only the legal minimum 3rd party insurance on your car. Why bother insuring against things like fire or theft when you have never had a car catch fire or be stolen.

You assume 100% wrongly and your question makes no sense.

Comprehensive insurance is necessary because a cyclist might run into
the back of any statinary vehicle stopped at red traffic lights or
parked in a parking bay - perhaps even off-street.

Take a peek at this (very short) video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0Zs1G1ri4

Have you any other incorrect assumptions you'd like to share with the group?

Old August 17th 20, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster

On 16/08/2020 22:14, JNugent wrote:
On 16/08/2020 18:47, Mike Collins wrote:

But what if someone does open a door into your path?

When that happens, I either avoid the door by moving out or, if that
is not possible - and sometimes it isn't - I *stop*!

Got that? *Stop*!

You and your car have very remarkable powers to be able to do that when
a door opens when you are 5 feet away.