How to fall off a bike?

Old July 10th 05, 06:30 PM
Bob Wheeler

Default How to fall off a bike?

Are there places one can go to learn how to fall gracefully? Are there
books?

Should one tuck one's arms in? How about one's head? A quick google
didn't help, perhaps because I'm using the wrong words. Any suggestions?

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Old July 10th 05, 08:40 PM
botfood

take an Aikido class....

pick a spot, bail, tuck and roll. ..

DONT stick your hand out; you'll break wrists and/or collarbones.

Old July 10th 05, 09:18 PM
Joe S.

"Bob Wheeler" wrote in message
Are there places one can go to learn how to fall gracefully? Are there
books?

Should one tuck one's arms in? How about one's head? A quick google
didn't help, perhaps because I'm using the wrong words. Any suggestions?

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Randomness comes in bunches.

Here is a sure-fire way to learn how to fall:

1. Enlist in the Army.
2. Sign up for Airborne training.
3. Where a group of kindly, gentle sergeants in black baseball caps will
teach you the correct way to fall.
4. And you'll be paid to do it.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old July 10th 05, 09:23 PM
catzz66

botfood wrote:
take an Aikido class....

pick a spot, bail, tuck and roll. ..

DONT stick your hand out; you'll break wrists and/or collarbones.

It is always important to time your fall so's you can have an
appropriate amount of time to do all that. How you arrange to have an
adequate amount of time to do all this is the question.

catzz66
"it only took a split second"
Old July 10th 05, 10:01 PM
botfood

thats where an aikido class comes in handy... with practice you have a
better chance of 'body memory' taking over in that split second.

Old July 10th 05, 10:25 PM
Mark Hickey

Bob Wheeler wrote:

Are there places one can go to learn how to fall gracefully? Are there
books?

Should one tuck one's arms in? How about one's head? A quick google
didn't help, perhaps because I'm using the wrong words. Any suggestions?

Always ride in groups. Then fall on the fattest rider in the pack.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 11th 05, 02:26 AM
Bob

Bob Wheeler wrote:
Are there places one can go to learn how to fall gracefully? Are there
books?

Should one tuck one's arms in? How about one's head? A quick google
didn't help, perhaps because I'm using the wrong words. Any suggestions?

There is no such thing as a graceful fall. Whenever someone claims to
"know how to fall" it pays to remember that falling well- like most
physical activities- takes *practice* so those with the most 'skill' at
falling tend to be those with the poorest bikehandling skills. Better
to spend the time learning how to decrease the incidence of falls than
to become an expert "bouncer". Besides, no two falls are exactly alike.
The tuck and roll that might save you from a sprained or broken wrist
today is the same maneuver that will land you under the wheels of a bus
tomorrow.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old July 11th 05, 06:29 AM
Tanya Quinn

Practice on grass rather than asphalt?

You want to avoid your head contacting the ground. (after a few falls
this becomes more instinctual)

Wear padded bike gloves so your hands don't get skinned by asphalt.
(also useful for preventing numb hands, and for avoiding greasy hands
when having to adjust the chain or change a flat etc)

If you know you're going down in traffic, try to fall to the curb side
rather than the middle of the road side for obvious reasons

Tanya, falls now and again.

Old July 11th 05, 07:37 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Bob Wheeler writes:

Are there places one can go to learn how to fall gracefully?

Not for those situations where the bike steers out from underneath
you, and you get slammed straight down into the ground in less time
than it takes to wink an eye.

But I knew a guy who dismounted by deliberately endo'ing in his
front yard, going over the handlebar, and landing on his feet
every time. I never bothered to learn that skill, 'cuz I just
don't like the idea of carelessly letting a bike fall over.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 March 30th 05 07:32 PM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Recumbent Biking 0 June 1st 04 04:49 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM