Critical Mass in your city?

Old August 23rd 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Default Critical Mass in your city?

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
That article makes it sound like the main aim of CM is to wind up
motorists. CM is trying to get people to be more cycle friendly, not
the other way round!

That all depends on your local CM group. There is no CM organization.
There is no standard for how a CM ride should be run. The way CM is in
one city can be completely different than how CM is in another city.

But I would caution people about joining in a CM ride if your local CM
is confrontational. Think about whether you are actually hindering the
cause of cycling advocacy with non critical massers.

If I was a pedestrian or bus passenger or car driver that was mocked or
intimidated by Critical Mass I would not be inclined to view cycling
advocacy favorably. If CM behaves in a way that would get me ****ed
off at them if I was a pedestrian or driver then they are not doing any
favors for serious cycling advocacy. I'm very very much in favor of
cycling issues and very favorable towards cyclists. If your riding
behavior is such that you can **** me off then you've really screwed
up.

In some cities the police have taken aggressive tactics to ticket
critical mass riders. Sometimes they'll use a bunch of motorcycles in
a line to "cork" an individual rider and ticket them. Irony points
there for the police using the "corking" tactic.

I have not witnessed or even bothered to investigate any of the CM
rides in Seattle. The downtown area is too far away from me. I have
no idea how the Seattle area CM behaves.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 24th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

It's OK to ride in the street, but not OK to run stop lights.

Bikes and unis don't necessarily have to yield to motorized vehicles
(depending on the traffic laws), but they should yield to pedestrians.

Other oppressed groups have violated unjust laws in order to correct
wrongs, but this has to be very thought through to be effective. When
they did, those in power (like the motorists in the article) got angry.
Eventually they adjusted to the new truer justice.

--
BillyTheMountain

If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied.
-Rudyard Kipling [regarding US soldiers dying in the Iraq invasion]
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 25th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gerblefranklin

I've gotten caught up in some of these rides on my way home from work (I
bike to and from work), since I work downtown and bike down market
street sometimes. I've also done uni trials rides that coincidentally
were at the main staging area for SF critical mass. In person many of
the people who ride are quite nice (I have friends who do it), but once
they hit the road they are assholes of the worst kind. I hate trying to
get somewhere while a bunch of idiots on bikes are jamming things up.

I'm a very aggressive bicyclist, to the point where I won't let most
cars pass me on downhills, but I still don't support SF CM in any way.
They hurt any advocacy cause. I think bikes and cars can easily
coexist, so long as each party respects the rules of the road. Critical
Mass does nothing to promote coexistence.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 28th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
capuni

Just a reminder about this Friday's critical mass ride in Albany, NY.
Here are the details.

When: Friday, 8/31, 5:30 PM (meet at 5:15)
Whe Veterans’ Memorial, Washington Park at State Street, Albany
Notes: Any age, any bike, any ability. Join us for an informal summer
ride around Albany to promote bicycling and motorist awareness

The Albany Critical Mass is generally quite tame with most if not all
of the group following traffic laws.

I believe there will be at least 3 unicyclists at this months ride. If
there are any forum lurkers near Albany, we'd love to see you there.

--
capuni
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 29th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
diamondblast

capuni;865155 wrote:
Just a reminder about this Friday's critical mass ride in Albany, NY.
Here are the details.

When: Friday, 8/31, 5:30 PM (meet at 5:15)
Whe Veterans’ Memorial, Washington Park at State Street, Albany
Notes: Any age, any bike, any ability. Join us for an informal summer
ride around Albany to promote bicycling and motorist awareness

The Albany Critical Mass is generally quite tame with most if not all
of the group following traffic laws.

I believe there will be at least 3 unicyclists at this months ride. If
there are any forum lurkers near Albany, we'd love to see you there.

Hi , that sounds like a cool event although I can see that add was
maid in 2007 , I think it can be very nice if there will be another one
coming soon

--
diamondblast
Old October 29th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

We have these in Hobart, Tasmania.

I have been to one on my uni, and never been able to make another one.

As soon as i am back on deck i will be particiapating again.

--
mill_mobile
Old October 29th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spudman

We have a big group ride every tuesday night here in Tucson, about 200
people come out every week. We follow traffic laws (as best we can) and
generally get a good response from drivers.

For the past few weeks I've been riding my 26" unicycle with 150s and
I've been able to keep up no problem. If your in the area I'd recommend
it... meets at 8:00pm on Old Main at the university.

--
Spudman
Old October 29th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
disgruntleddave

Never heard of this before, but they do indeed have it in toronto.

Hopefully by the time nice weather comes around after the winter I'll
buy a nice 36"er and do some uni represent'n

--
disgruntleddave
Old October 29th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I would go out in it on a 24 I think is the best uni. It is much too
slow for a 36 in my opinion.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old October 29th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
disgruntleddave

ah, good to know. not to mention I already have a 24".

Still, I'll be waiting for good weather. Definitely wouldn't bother
with this in the winter.

--
disgruntleddave