26x2.1 (w/127mm cranks) Vs. 29x2.1 (w/150mm cranks) Ping.Mikefule

Old April 27th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default 26x2.1 (w/127mm cranks) Vs. 29x2.1 (w/150mm cranks) Ping.Mikefule

hey there...

besides the bigger wheel of the 29er dealing better with road
Irregularities, what am i looking at performance wise?

does 127mm cranks on a 26 offer better control than the 150's on the
29er? or visa-versa? things like that.

anyone is welcome to reply, i put Mikes name in the title because he is
the champ of this stuff...

--
forget_your_life

dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/mem...nfo&userid=502)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

Old April 27th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Flattered.

Assuming wheel diameters of exactly 26 inches and exactly 29 inches.

(Real sizes may vary slightly, even for a given tyre section.)

127mm = 5 inches
150 mm = just under six inches.

Very simply, the 26 with 5 inch cranks has a crank:radius percentage of
*38.5*% (5/13)

The 29 with 6 inch cranks has a percentage of *41%*

Or, for the 29er, the wheel is 29/26 = 11% bigger.
The cranks are 150/127 = 18% bigger.

So the 26 with short cranks will feel faster, but slightly less
controllable in terms of mounting, idling and stopping.

In reality, the difference between 41% and 38.5% is negligible: about
6% which is less than one cog on a -road -bicycle.

If I were choosing the two unis, I would swap the cranks. Put the
longer ones on the smaller wheel for that full-on tractor effect, and
the shorter ones on the bigger wheel for that barnstorming unstoppable
rolling death effect.

--
Mikefule

Last night another soldier, last night another child
No one seems to worry, no one sees his mother cry
They're just facts and figures on your TV screen
Another child and another soldier, is peace just a dream?

Old May 16th 06, 09:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

how about a 26" with 114mm cranks Vs. a 29er with 127mm cranks?

--
forget_your_life

'FOR SALE: 24\\" GB4 Large Marge frame.' (http://tinyurl.com/pggyx)

dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

Old May 16th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

34.5
34.48

Almost identical in terms of ratio.

--
Mikefule

I change my signature from time to time.

Old July 30th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forget_your_life

Mikefule wrote:
barnstorming unstoppable rolling death effect.

all things being equal again with the tire (say 2.1) which will have
the better "rolling death effect" a smaller wheeled 26" with 127mm's
Vs. a large and in charge 29 with 165mm cranks?

the smaller wheel of the 26" falls into smaller holes (so to speak)
thus slowing us down but is it still faster than a bigger wheeled 29
with "tractor" 165's? or does the roll over power of the 29" out due
the smaller 26 with shorter 127's even though it has longer cranks
(165mm)

--
forget_your_life

dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

Old July 30th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Well, I was criticised for posting it at the time, but this might help:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50840

For riding cross country, with mud, long grass, short hills, gravel and
general mixed terrain, 125s work well on a 28 with a skinny tyre, so
should be magic on a 29er.

Given the choice of wheels and cranks you have specified, I would put
long cranks on the smaller wheel, and short cranks on the larger. It
would emphasise the differences, and give each a distinctive role.
Otherwise, you end up with two broadly similar machines, about a gear
or so different.

Most of my riding recently has been on a 28 with 114s. The
terrain-crossing limits have been met by the tyre from time to time,
but not by the crank:wheel ratio. (The tyre is a 23mm road tyre pumped
to 130 psi.)

--
Mikefule

All the world's a stage... and some of us are the horses pulling it, and
there are far too many passengers.

Old July 30th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

The crank length : wheelsize ratios determine the "gear" of the
unicycle, because the resulting number is proportional to the amount of
"leverage" you have against the road. The higher the crank
length:wheelsize ratio, the "lower" the gear: it'll be easier to turn
the wheel but you'll go slower for a given cadence.

However, it's not the only difference: larger diameter wheels roll
better over bumps, and also have more stability due in part to their
larger mass. I'd expect you to go faster on a larger wheel given the
same theoretical "gear" due to these factors (and because it's
difficult pedalling fast on tiny cranks in my opinion).

For a concrete example:
My friend Alan has a 20" uni with 80mm cranks. I have a 29er with
127mm cranks, and a 36er with 150mm cranks. The highest theoretical
"gear" is the 20" uni, but it's also the slowest of the three. The
29er is substantially (several mph) faster with me riding it, despite
my being less fit - I'll hit, say, 13-14mph where he tops out around
10mph. Alan can take my 29er up to 15mph.

The 36er is faster again, with me topping out at a maximum of 17mph (so
far), despite the wide hub, and long high Q cranks that I've got
installed.

The ability to roll over bumps and be stable at high speeds (and have a
decent stroke length when pedalling) makes the bigger wheels much
preferable for any distance. However, they are also a bit more
unwieldy, harder to turn, harder to thread through busy streets, etc.
The 20" can easily go down to walking pace and thread through
pedestrians.

For cross country offroad the bigger wheels will roll over bumps better
than an equivalently geared smaller wheel (although it is harder to
build up the necessary momentum due to their probably being harder to
freemount offroad). If you wanted to do technical stuff you might find
you need a smaller wheel.

I find the 36" easily best for road riding, and for XC offroad I'm
liking it too. A 29er can make a good muni though - I'm going to put
150mm cranks on it for the purposes of muni, unless I'm doing really
rough stuff that should roll over most things.

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
mark williamson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11301

Old July 30th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

you could get those cool kooka cranks that i think pdc is selling. that
would solve your problems.

--
mornish

UNICYCLING FOR MYSLELF TOO

trials_uni wrote:
Where did you hear that Bedford unis are not strong? They are the best
thing since sliced bread!!

Old July 30th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forget_your_life

mornish wrote:
you could get those cool kooka cranks that i think pdc is selling. that
would solve your problems.

it would'nt solve the wheel size issue, we are taking about roll over
ability here as well.

the wholy Kooka's are nice but they are alot of cash for a tapered
crank and my uni's MUni hard..PDC sould get his machinist to broach the
tapers to a 36 spline pattern for use on KH hubs like Steve Howard has
done to a few cranks, then we would be in buisness...( of couse the
price would be around $300 i bet)

--
forget_your_life

dream one dream many....